Rumaisa Hotel
Ranked #12 of 31 Stone Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 20, 2013

A nice, little, family owned place with its very own charm.
We stayed there for 2 nights and we felt very well there!

Don't expect the highest level of comfort or service, but for this price I feld that we were getting an excellent value for our money.

The location is good as well, although I would not recommend planning on walking to Stone Town from there. This is however no problem as the taxi is 2.5 USD and takes 7-8 minutes.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed February 6, 2013

extremely nice place cozy and warm make you feel at home!
with only 7 rooms all uniquely decorated in zanzibari swahili style this hotel is more than hotel indeed. all the staff is extremely kind and helpful but the real star is the owner mohamed who is a unique person. as my wife and i where on a business trip, mohamed personally drove us to several places and introduced us to many other helpful people.
couldn't ask for more. thank you!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2013

This is a very good place to stay. Nice rooms, everything simple but nice. The staff is really friendly. Mohamed, the manager, is a lovely person. Try to get a room at the bak of the hotel, not at the street side. Then you are going to get less noise. You take the nice breakfast at the roof of the hotel with the fresh air passing through. The old city of Stone Town is ten minutes walk from there along the water. With a taxi is 4000 Tshillings ( 2 euros). I sure go back next time.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back side are better, with no noise from the street.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Borja V
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I recently finished a safari trip to Tanzania with four days in Zanzibar. I wanted to use Stone Town as a base to visit the island and I found this hotel through Trip Advisor.

I was happy to note how much I immediately liked this place! The location is perfect...a quiet street (plus local cats and roosters!) within walking distance to all local points of interest and amenities. The building is really nice...quite unique. My room was great (a single)...charming decor with a comfortable bed, A/C, fridge, TV, fan, Wifi, big bathroom, and a place to lock all personal belongings. It was also very clean, which is very important to me. Breakfast was also included on the relaxed rooftop terrace every morning, which I thoroughly enjoyed...fresh fruit and juice, coffee, eggs, toast. Locas the chef makes the best omeletes!

I think that, aside from those things, what makes this place really special is the kindness of its owner Mohammed and his employees (Modest, Locas, Maryam...all of them!). They were always helpful and respectful and willing to offer information and advice. It is obvious that Mohammed genuinely cares about the place and wants to do all that he can to make sure that guests enjoy their stay.

I am really glad that I decided to stay here! I loved every moment of my visit and this hotel truly felt like home to me. I was sad to leave after my four days ended and will always look back on my time here with fondness. A big thank you to Mohammed and all employees. I greatly recommend this hotel to all travellers looking for something a little special at an affordable price :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank TanyaM212
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed in Rumaisa soley based on the reviews we read on trip advisor, and i have to say it was a great choice.
mohammed the manager was extremely helpful. the location is central
Excellent ratio quality /price
Clean room/ ac in perfect condition

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 23, 2012

The capital city and Stone town often get short shrift for travelers to Zanzibar. This may be more a matter of taste than anything else. Be that as it may, Rumaisa (bouquet of flowers in Swahili, I think) is a lovely little base of operations in the madness and magic of Zanzibar Town. The place is about a year old so everything is quite nice. Clean rooms, stone nice bathrooms, brand new ac, accommodating hosts, great location to the discotheque, a nice high powered fan, and a peaceful stay await. The only knock is that the free interwebs is able but limited to the lobby. If this was available in the rooms, it would be a perfect ten.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 14, 2012

we stayed in Rumaisa soley based on the reviews we read on trip advisor, and i have to say it was a great choice. Mr. Mohammed the manager did everything he could to make us comfortable, arranged our spice tour, made our restaurant reservations, and helped us book our transportation to jambiani! The rooms was clean, beautifully designed and had hot water all the time. Thank you Mohammed and all the staff for all your help, i'm sure we'll be back again !

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends