“The best activity on the Island for photographers”
Review of The Beautiful Eyes

The Beautiful Eyes
Ranked #23 of 42 things to do in Stone Town
More attraction details
Owner description: We start more than three year ago, a fine art photo gallery in the centre of Stone Town in the former tourist shop of Zakia.The idea to initiate The Beautiful Eyes as a place to present art photography started in May 2008 when three photographers visited Zanzibar for a week of photography. They missed a place to talk, present and even to buy photography.In September 2008 Hans Agterdenbos, one of the three, came back to stone town and started investigations to open a gallery. He met Zakia Abdullah they married in march 2009 and they founded The Beautiful Eyes place to talk about photography, find inspiration and maybe good ideas. Up to the present time ±4500 visitors found the way into there gallery.Some take an original photograph home, others attend one of the workshops the Photowalk© the Shambawalk© the Pembasafari. Most caught some inspiration and all of them left the gallery with a good feeling and positive words
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Writing this I still hear the advising words from Hans during my photowalk, and I must admit there was tuning needed. The photowalk is not complete without zakia who showed me very well how to approach the children and citizens of her stone town. The walk for more than three hours was just fine in time came home. In the hotel with full memory cards with beautiful shots I can not wait to work on them with the software tricks. Hans gave me some really good advices on how to do this. The photowalk was a very nice experience during my days in zanzibar.

3  Thank Robert J

Reviewed January 29, 2013

If you plan to do a photography workshop with the Beautiful Eyes in Zanzibar, think twice. More than a year ago I made the advance payment of 500 dollars to do a workshop with my son as part of our Christmas holiday. Hans canceled the workshop a few days prior to its start. We then agreed to do the workshop in April. He canceled that one, too, and never returned the money despite my several emails.

19  Thank Kuiho
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Hans and Zakia you were fantastic guides to parts of Stone Town I would have never seen on myown. The people were a joy to make pictures with, be around and share their enjoyment at our intrusion into their space, The opportunity to take some shots, get some great tips and spend some time with the inhabitants of Stone Town will stay with me and have really helped my limited talents.

If you like to go of the beaten track a little share some time with Hans and Zakia it is really worth it.

3  Thank marko667
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I met Hans and Zakia on my last day in stunning Stonetown. How I wish I had found "The Beautiful Eyes" Gallery earlier! They were kind enough to spend 45 minutes talking and sharing with me..inspiring me in my limited knowledge of photography. At the top of my bucket list is my return to Stonetown and to complete their Walking Tour. Make it your top priority to gain a view into life in Stonetown that no tourist will otherwise experience - through Hans and Zakia's tour.
PS second on my list is to stay at Tembo House Hotel, and then go back to Chapwani Private Island!

3  Thank Nanajen66
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Hans and Zakia spent the afternoon with me showing me the beauty of Stone Town. I learned a lot about Photography in such a short time, I only wish I lived closer! They both offered great tips, and I loved the interaction with the locals, and of course the kids (they are so cute).

The afternoon provided a great view of Stone Town, a nice learning experience, and I definitely have some fantastic photos.

Highly recommend spending some time with Hans and Zakia, it will be the highlight of your time in Zanzibar.

4  Thank melis38610