Manch Lodge Vuga
$103
$294
$271
  • Breakfast included
Dhow Palace Hotel(Stone Town)
$95
$93
$218
$127
  • Restaurant
All reviewssingle bedceiling fanzanzibar stone townshort walkdormnetsbathroomwifi
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for 2 nights. Staff was very friendly and all worked fine including the wifi.
I had a 1 person room right next to the reception and garden. Location wise it was nice, but it was also noisy and I had to sleep with earplugs which I ordinarily never do.
The room was dirty. As in nasty some places. The walls and lights witches had dirt which appeared to be months or years old.
If I was the owner I would go through all rooms myself if it is because a cleaning person is too expensive.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Breakfast is tasty and the internet is great when it works. Some of the staff are great and some are not helpful.
They offer cheap dorm (maybe the only dorm in town?) but no one attended the room during the two days I was there, the mosquito nets did not fit the beds, and some of the fixtures, including one of the vital fans, do not work. I passed two restless nights there.
But all of this is forgettable in light of my biggest issue. Manch advertises many tours, including motorbike and scooter hire. They contract to Ally Keys. Google Ally Keys Zanzibar and you will find some of the awful stories of his service. I experienced the worst of his service, receiving a bike with broken horn, fuel gauge, odometer, and speedometer, which arrived over an hour late without enough fuel to get to the pump (his man pushed the bike all the way to the station). WORSE still, he stole my identity. A friend was renting through another agency who also happens to contract to Ally Keys. This friend did not have a driver's license with him. No problem, Ally said. Without my knowledge they photocopied and laminated my driver's license and gave it to my friend to use, issuing a second Foreigner's Driving Permit (mandatory on Zanzibar) to him in my name, not knowing that the friend and I would meet and he would give me the copy. I have written this up elsewhere - the man who copied the license was in police custody after I filed a report. Hours wasted
But this review is about Manch. In light of this I asked to speak to the owners. The manager assured me they would come by, likely in the morning but maybe in the afternoon, so I waited around most of a day. They refused to meet with me. When they heard there was a problem they did not come to the lodge at all. The manager was at first sympathetic before saying, "Ally Keys is the only guy on the island, and many people have good experiences." (I have now heard four personal accounts of awful experiences and none good). No one at Manch took any responsibility for the tour they advertised to me and organized for me. I recommend against booking activities through them.
And I recommend against staying in their dormitory. If it was crowded (low season now, low occupancy) it would be even more uncomfortable.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Manch was good value, good location with nice staff. Internet was great-fast and easy to access. Breakfast was tasty, a bit above average and included the standard tea, coffee, juice, fruit, eggs, toast and crepes (pancakes). Location was good and fairly easy to find. Hotel staff are lovely and very helpful if you ask. Rooms were clean and included bed nets. We had the standard triple downstairs with no AC; I recommend splurging a bit for AC as there is not much breeze in town, unlike on the beach where AC isn't necessary. Shared bathroom wasn't awesome, but not awful. Overall, a winner and would consider staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

The family owners and staff at Manch lodge will do anything to help you.
Great service, very friendly, good excursions available (not too overpriced by hotel standards).
Single room $20, double $30 including breakfast ( which is a very hearty breakfast of fruit, juice, tea coffee, eggs bread and a pancake!!)
Rooms basic but clean and all have mosquito nets and a fan. We had shared bathroom which was clean. Ensuites available.
It's not luxury accommodation but the smiles And warm welcome make it feel like home.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Enden up here by accident after walking around and finding that other hotels didnt want to negotiate. This is a lovely place with a nice garden where you can eat breakfast, have a cola or even eat dinner. Free wifi. Stone Town is small so its only a short walk from everything.
Follow directions for Haven guest house and you ll find it hidden in the maze of Stone Town streets. Rooms are basic, but clean. I'd suggest this to any backpackers!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple