We stayed for a couple of nights, and then another night on our way back home. We didn't get to take advantage of the stay-two-get-the-third-free deal, but they did upgrade us for our second night, and for our return stay. The furnishings were beautiful, the building was gorgeous, the small pool, garden and salon, as well as the rooftop lounge were all great.
The staff was generally very accommodating and helpful, except for a couple minor issues. For our return trip, we had specifically asked if we could check out late, as we had a late flight, and other hotels had agreed to our request. Kholle didn't answer this question, and then informed us that day we had to check out at the normal time, which might have changed our choice. Then when we checked out, they tried to pull some games on us with currency exchanges - we were paying in a mix of dollars and shillings, and they wanted us to pay the drinks bill, charged in shillings, in dollars at one exchange rate, and the room bill, charged in dollars, in shillings, at another rate. It wasn't a big difference, but there was a lot of confusion and it just seemed cheap and petty for a quality establishment
One really nice touch was the glasses of juice on arrival - they were fantastic, and different both times. We had them later as cocktails, which were also fantastic. The breakfast was quite good, although a bit confusing - there is a list of options and it is not clear whether you choose one item or whatever you want. It turns out you can get everything you want off the list without paying extra, but you seem to have to ask for each individual thing (i.e. it says eggs with bacon, tomato, beans - if you ask for the eggs, you just get the eggs, not the whole plate).
The negatives were actually rather minor - we'd definitely go back again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kholle House fact sheet:Services & Facilities:• Wi-Fi available• Outdoor swimming pool• Transport to/from airport if required at an additional charge. Zanzibar airport and Dar es Salaam airport – ferry dock• Island tours and sea activities assistance. Kholle House in the heart of Stone Town is an historical and authentic house build in 1860 which belonged to Princess Kholle. Sister of Sayyid Sultan bin Bargash and Princess Salme. The house has probably been there as a showcase from their crystal collection and porcelain.After the revolution in 1964 the house was confiscated and occupied by several families, this period caused severe damages in the house. Three years of restoration has brought us the pleasure to present our town beloved house, the work done in connection with historical monuments and in full respect with the construction methods in the time (coral rubble, lime, mangrove beams, marble…). With a noble and austere facade the building is typically Omani Arabic style while the garden has more Indo-Victorian fantasy rhythms. This style is featured on the covers of the old dispensary which faces Kholle House, that was restored by the Aga Khan Foundation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Orbitz and Agoda so you can book your Kholle House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kholle House Hotel Stone Town
- Kholle House Zanzibar Island/Stone Town