We stayed at Kholle House for 2 nights on our way home from a holliday in Tanzania.
The staff were very welcoming and helpful on arrival and the hotel is near the ferry port and gardens.
We were gven room 12 on the first night. The room is very small and while it would be OK for one person, my husband and I were falling over each other and our luggage. Also the bathroom is in the room with just a bit of curtain seperating the toilet from the room which wasn't really to our liking.
The bed was tiny - I'm 5"2 and my toes touched the end!
We were moved to room 15 on our second night which was much better. Spacious with a separate bathroom and a balcony overlooking the courtyard garden and pretty pool.
The hotel has nice decor and is clean and well maintained and the building is full of character. The garden and pool are an oasis! The staff are friendly and helpful. Everything is within walking distance (Stone Town is small) and there is free Wi-Fi.
Breakfast is menu service. The food was good but the service very slow - I only asked for toast and it took an hour to arrive. We left early (5am) to catch or flight and were promised breakfast boxes which never materialised.
There is a mosque next door. The call to prayer starts at 5am. I didn't mind the early morning wake up call, but if you would you'll need ear plugs!!
If you're in Stone Town I am sure you could do a lot worse than stay here.
Stone Town itself is not very exciting - a day of sightseeing was plenty for us. I would advise against walking alone a night - we didnt have any problems but the winding narrow allys look like a good place to get mugged.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kholle House fact sheet:Services & Facilities:• Wi-Fi available• Outdoor swimming pool• Transport to/from airport if required at an additional charge. Zanzibar airport and Dar es Salaam airport – ferry dock• Island tours and sea activities assistance. Kholle House in the heart of Stone Town is an historical and authentic house build in 1860 which belonged to Princess Kholle. Sister of Sayyid Sultan bin Bargash and Princess Salme. The house has probably been there as a showcase from their crystal collection and porcelain.After the revolution in 1964 the house was confiscated and occupied by several families, this period caused severe damages in the house. Three years of restoration has brought us the pleasure to present our town beloved house, the work done in connection with historical monuments and in full respect with the construction methods in the time (coral rubble, lime, mangrove beams, marble…). With a noble and austere facade the building is typically Omani Arabic style while the garden has more Indo-Victorian fantasy rhythms. This style is featured on the covers of the old dispensary which faces Kholle House, that was restored by the Aga Khan Foundation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, HotelQuickly and Expedia so you can book your Kholle House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kholle House Hotel Stone Town
- Kholle House Zanzibar Island/Stone Town