“Good find not yet in the guide books”
Review of Kholle House

Kholle House
Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in Stone Town
Reviewed March 12, 2012

SStayed for a very comfortable weekend while working in Dar, as I did last September. Five minute walk to/from the ferry terminal - right behind the recently renovated and re-opened 'Old Dispensary'. Kholle house have just completed their first year, and Alejandra has moved on. Staff training is ongoing, but everyone goes out of their way to help and has a smile - like most people other than the street touts in Stone Town. When finding a backstreet restaurant looked complicated after dark the new manager sent someone to guide me (and the restaurant later provided someone to guide me back). The air conditioning in the bedrooms is quiet and functional – important in the perpetual heat and humidity of Zanzibar. The decor has to be seen to be believed - the rooftop terrace the garden gazebo and some of the rooms look some something out of Architectural Digest or an Aman resort. Go now - it will soon be 'discovered and the rates will rise - for now it is a bargain (as a return guest I paid $100 for a ‘junior suite’). Previous complaints about breakfast must have been an off-day - for kitchen staff or for the guest! I had fresh fruit, fresh juice, spiced coffee (from an espresso machine) and excellent eggs benedict one day, huevos rancheros the other day – food and service were excellent. Wish I had known about the possibility of dinner on the roof – will try it next time.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Mwasaju, Owner at Kholle House, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Dear Guests,

Many thanks for your kind apprecation.
We take note of your comment regarding Guide books.
All the best,

Reviewed March 11, 2012

Staying at Kholle House was an amazing experience. It has been beautifully restored and has a rich and interesting history. I loved the rooftop deck and small pool area. Breakfast was incredible. The woman who served breakfast each day was so kind and attentive. The manager was so nice-she walked me through the fascinating restoration of the hotel and answered all of my questions. The downsides were frequent power outages, no doors to the bathrooms, and the noise level. In our room, there were several screens, so it was really tough to sleep with the noise from the street and there was a loudspeaker near the hotel that broadcast each call to prayer. It can be a but hard to find, but is in a great location.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Mwasaju, Owner at Kholle House, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Guests,
Thank you for your useful comments.
Since you came, Kholle House has been equipped with a 40Kva generator. We now provide our guests with plenty of power, day and night, 365 days a year...
All our bathrooms (except room12 for architectural reasons) have been equipped with doors for more privacy.
As for the "noise", I am not sure we should name as such the early morning call for prayer. It is part of the traditions of the antique islamic city and I would even dare saying that its part of its charms!

Reviewed March 11, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at Kholle House and we loved it! It is a beautifull place, and the staff were very good at making us feel at home. Our room was a junior suite with a nice peep over the small garden and very cosy pool, and it worked very well. Early morning prayer calls from nearby mosques added to the arabic touch. Best experience was when we had dinner served at the top floor terrace with a lovely view over Stone Town roofs. Chef had picked up fresh lobsters at the marked and grilled them perfectly. They dont advertise the possibility to dine at the rooftop, but it was no problem to arrange and it was great. Remember cash as they dont accept credit cards. ATM is not to far away though.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank KasperMDK

Many thanks for these kind comments dear guests.

Reviewed March 3, 2012

From the moment I arrived until I left I felt welcome and well cared for. The staff is warm and friendly, and the building itself is a beautifully restored historical building tucked away in the heart of Stonetown. The rooms are nicely appointed, comfortably air conditioned, and very clean. The breakfast service is delicious and freshly prepared, and offers a wide variety of choices. The central courtyard and pool is a nice place to while away the heat of the day. I highly recommend this gem of a boutique for your stay in Stonetown.

• Stayed: March 2012
Mwasaju, Owner at Kholle House, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind comments.

Asante Sana!

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We loved Kholle House. Alejandra and her team could not have done more to make us and our young family (kids aged 7 and 5) more comfortable. The room was beautiful, service amazing and the food delicious - plus a wonderful pool for cooling off in! Thank you so much! We wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

Dear guests,

Many thanks for your kind comments and appreciation.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

I was terribly disappointed... I had corresponded with the Kholle house for about a month to confirm my visit to what sounds like a lovely spot. When I got there--although I had confirmed that very morning, was on their handwritten list, and they met me at the ferry!--I was told that they had no room for me. As a woman traveling alone with the evening approaching in Stone Town and having no other place to stay and nowhere to go, this was quite disconcerting. Luckily the hotel they suggested I try had room and was in my budget, but it could have turned out altogether differently or even with my having nowhere to go. I ended up at another hotel nearby that was adequate and safe, but without the interesting architecture or history of Kholle. I have no idea how one could avoid this situation, but beware anyway!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank manyadm

Dear Madam,

It is indeed extremely embarrassing and unfortunate.
I can imagine your disappointment. It is far too late for us to try to elaborate explanations for what appears to be a misfit if not a misunderstanding.
I note that your disappointment is related to the service rendered by our reception unit. Rest assured that our procedures and monitoring have been duly amended since then.
Would you think of coming back to Stone Town, we would be delighted to grant you with a special treat.
With all our apologizes,

Reviewed February 19, 2012

The Kholle House is a wonderfully restored palace with some small and some decent-sized rooms. It is beautifully decorated in the public areas and in the guest rooms. The rooms have air conditioning and ceiling fans. The staff are very friendly and helpful. There is a modest-sized pool, which is a just right for cooling down in after a day in the heat of town. Breakfast is generally very good, although a bit idiosyncratic, there is plenty on offer and plenty of choice anyway.

The Kholle house is close to a mosque, the call to prayer can seem pretty loud. It is close to Mercury's bar/restaurant (not too close); being on the edge of Stone Town there are no other places to eat very close. There are mosquitos in the garden area of Kholle house.

I am pretty sure that the Kholle house is one of the best places to stay in Stone Town, we loved it.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear guests,

Many thanks for your kind comments and appreciation.