This place was great, 2 minutes walk from the ferry terminal in one of the many back streets. There is a mosque next door so call to prayers occurs several times a day but this added to the charm. Our room was 14 and top of the first flight of stairs, on the roof is a turret where you can see the sea and sit and chill out. Downstairs is a small dining room and pool and garden area, quite an oasis from the nearby bustle of the markets and streets. The reception can organise trips for you at a reasonable price, we went to Prison Island to see the giant tortoises. Stone Town is not very large but has lots to see, The House of Wonders is interesting as are the streets around The Old Slave Market. Darinjani? Market was also interesting and we bought lots of spices here, do see the fish market just down from the ferry terminal, it is so colourful where the trawlers come in, we easily wandered about for a couple of days here before moving on to Nungwi. Would definitely stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kholle House fact sheet:Services & Facilities:• Wi-Fi available• Outdoor swimming pool• Transport to/from airport if required at an additional charge. Zanzibar airport and Dar es Salaam airport – ferry dock• Island tours and sea activities assistance. Kholle House in the heart of Stone Town is an historical and authentic house build in 1860 which belonged to Princess Kholle. Sister of Sayyid Sultan bin Bargash and Princess Salme. The house has probably been there as a showcase from their crystal collection and porcelain.After the revolution in 1964 the house was confiscated and occupied by several families, this period caused severe damages in the house. Three years of restoration has brought us the pleasure to present our town beloved house, the work done in connection with historical monuments and in full respect with the construction methods in the time (coral rubble, lime, mangrove beams, marble…). With a noble and austere facade the building is typically Omani Arabic style while the garden has more Indo-Victorian fantasy rhythms. This style is featured on the covers of the old dispensary which faces Kholle House, that was restored by the Aga Khan Foundation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Kholle House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kholle House Hotel Stone Town
- Kholle House Zanzibar Island/Stone Town