“Loved this place, it was so unusual but comfortable and well placed.”
Review of Kholle House

Kholle House
Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in Stone Town
London, United Kingdom
“Loved this place, it was so unusual but comfortable and well placed.”
Reviewed September 10, 2011

This place was great, 2 minutes walk from the ferry terminal in one of the many back streets. There is a mosque next door so call to prayers occurs several times a day but this added to the charm. Our room was 14 and top of the first flight of stairs, on the roof is a turret where you can see the sea and sit and chill out. Downstairs is a small dining room and pool and garden area, quite an oasis from the nearby bustle of the markets and streets. The reception can organise trips for you at a reasonable price, we went to Prison Island to see the giant tortoises. Stone Town is not very large but has lots to see, The House of Wonders is interesting as are the streets around The Old Slave Market. Darinjani? Market was also interesting and we bought lots of spices here, do see the fish market just down from the ferry terminal, it is so colourful where the trawlers come in, we easily wandered about for a couple of days here before moving on to Nungwi. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mel D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
new york
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Stayed here for 5 nights for business. Room was enormous, with a little balcony and view towards the port. Bed is very comfortable, the room's immaculate and there's quiet AC and a ceiling fan so it's cool and comfortable. I had no mosquitoes at all in my room, but my colleague had some in his room - he couldn't figure out how they got in. Wireless internet is free and you connect with a USB stick the owner lends you which works everywhere on the island - very handy when you're here for work! Only downside was my bed was appx 3 meters from the loudspeaker for the mosque next door - it's absolutely impossible to sleep through the early morning call to prayer, even with earplugs in. Perhaps it's not so deafening in the rooms on the other side of the hotel. Didn't get to use the pool, but it looked clean and inviting. Rooftop hang-out area was lovely, too, wish I'd had time to use it. Breakfasts were superb - order whatever you like and it's made fresh for you. Staff are friendly, one even gave my colleague and I a tour of the market early one evening. Location is good - a 1 min walk from Mercury's and about a 5 min walk to "downtown" Stone Town, where there are plenty of other restaurants. If I'd been here alone, I probably wouldn't have done the walk back from "downtown" as a single female at night (local colleagues said tourists have been robbed recently on this poorly lit stretch), but with a male colleague, I felt perfectly safe. There are plenty of taxis, so that would be my recommendation for single females staying here looking to eat in town at night. Middle of the night airport taxi was arranged by the owner and I was only charged a half-night stay for a 1am check out.

All in all, a wonderful place and an excellent value (especially with the discount for UN staff). Wish I could come back on holidays!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank sphem
Orange, California
Reviewed September 2, 2011

From the moment we walked in, the manager greeted us with fresh juice and flowers. She was easy to understand and had so many recommendations about where to go in the area and gave us a map and circled all the hot spots. The room and whole place is clean, new and trendy yet historic. The breakfast was amazing too and included in the price. Definately recommend this for couples, quite romantic!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Britt A
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2011

The hotel is quite hard to find but excellent location across the road from the ferry terminal from Tanzania. The manageress is very nice and helpful and went out of her way to let us know good places to eat and drink ( recommend Livingstones on the beach and 236 Hurumzi for cocktails at sunset) Stone town is great check out the Foradhani Gardens for authentic food absolutely fantastic and Silk route for restaurants really great indian cuisine. Back to the Hotel, great history and very modern, oozes charm and the added benefit of the small pool is great after a days sight seeing. Fantastic breakfast with great selection. All in all great hotel at very reasonable price.

Keep it up!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank paulo1975
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We were looking forward to our stay in Kholle House as part of our honeymoon very much. However, on arrival we were greeted with a grunt by the receptionist and grudgingly shown to our room. We were given no information about the hotel facilities, food availability etc. I was very disappointed to find out that our 'luxury' room had no door to the bathroom. Hence when lying in bed, you could see and hear someone on the toilet. This complete lack of privacy was hard to stomach and definitely NOT what I would expect when I am paying $200 a night for a room!

I asked to speak to the manager to see if we could be moved (this was our honeymoon after all), and was told that I could not speak to her until 5pm the next day (more than 24hours away!). Eventually I was handed a mobile to talk to the manager on the phone. I was made to feel like I was being completely unreasonable as "nobody has bothered about it before" and that as the hotel was designed to have no door on the bathroom, I should just accept that I could see, hear and smell everything that was happening in the toilet!

Eventually, we decided to stay somewhere else as the whole experience and attitude of the staff had been really disappointing. The manageress (on the phone - no one available to help at the hotel!) promised to find alternative accommodation and I appreciated her efforts. However, the alternative room she suggested in Africa House was run down, dark and damp. We eventually managed to secure our own alternative accommodation in the Dhow Palace hotel (friendly, helpful staff, beautiful room, drinks on arrival, private bathroom!).

Kholle House has the potential to be wonderful, but when paying $200 a night for a hotel I think it is fair to expect to be treated well by the staff and to have a little privacy in the bathroom!

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JRV186525
Mwasaju, Owner at Kholle House, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear customer,
Following your comments, doors have been placed in each bathrooms except one for technical reasons.
A welcome drink is always available on arrival as well as explanations about the history of the House and its environment. A brochure is handed to our guest while checking in.
A manager on duty is available from 07:30 to 19:30 and the receptionist will be delighted to help at any time of the day or night.
Sincerely.
Hawaii
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Just spent 3 nights in this lovely gem of a place in Stone Town just off the main road. It was quiet with great decor. Had a charming room (#1) and felt very taken care of by all the staff. Alejandra, the manager, was most helpful in suggesting sights, restaurants, and special areas I might want to see. I was traveling on my own and felt this place to be safe and supportive. I would go back again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 18, 2011

The hotel is nice. Rooms are well furnished and thoughtfully decorated. The breakfast is substantial and good. The staff is friendly and helpful. The location has an upside, it is right next to the ferry so you can drag your stuff over without having to deal with the taxi touts (the hotel will send someone to help if you ask beforehand). But there are a couple of quirks. First, the bathrooms have no doors - not a big issue but something to be aware about. Second, the hotel is right next to a mosque - so ask for a room that faces away from it unless you're not bothered by the early morning call of the muezzin! Finally, there is no internet access - though the manager let me use her computer (for work reasons, I have to check in every day). But, given the prices they charge (relative to other upscale Stone Town hotels), the place is a steal!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the mosque