Jafferji House & Spa
$78
Dhow Palace Hotel(Stone Town)
$106
$76
  • Breakfast included
Beyt Al Salaam(Stone Town)
$58
Travelocity
Kisiwa House(Stone Town)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewskama sutrasultan suitemercury roomboutique hotelfully air conditionedspice roomprincess salmesand bankoutdoor showerrooftop restaurantour honeymoonbeautiful hotelzanzibari stylestreet noiseasante sanawonderful stayfreddie mercury
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Great hotel, very stunning decor. Room was fantastic. Very friendly and efficient staff. Free use of internet and pc a bonus. Good tour options and great service providers. Ideal location and close to sights. Felt safe at all times. Very clean. Good restaurant as well.

Room Tip: Every room is fantastic
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank L4Evo
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I did the research, booked the hotel, paid for my room, and headed off to Zanzibar. There were just two tiny flaws - I had forgotten my credit card at home, and all the US$100 notes I had on me were 'old'. (Please note that almost no one in Tanzania will accept dollar notes that are printed before 1997. Refresh your wallet before you leave home).

So long story in short - I had a very rich adventure for 5 days, while feeling very poor.

Jafferji House is my kind of quirky place. The walls are pink, the decor is kitsch, there are a dozen tiny nooks, there is much eccentricity, there is always another secret spot to discover and photograph, and I have a weakness for mosquito netting.

But that is the hotel per say.... Inside my room, ambience prevailed while amenities lacked. While there were beaded curtains and open toilets and much of Freddy on the walls (it was the Mercury Suite), there was no mirror, no luggage rack, and no promised Wi-Fi. The room is not sound proofed - the street noise can get really loud at night - and has neither dresser nor writing table. The lighting is dramatic and multi-hued, but the only way I could read in my room was by lying down directly under the bed light.

Some of the staff were very helpful in sorting out my financial state - George the Masai walked with me to several banks - and the women who run the restaurant are very friendly too. But as is the case with many hotels run by individuals or families, there are many missing undefinables. The aesthetics are fine, but they have forgotten to address many guest needs. And the housekeeping staff express extreme reluctance in parting with extra drinking water.

Breakfast is very, very slow but quite splendid when it arrives. Room service is adequate. All the sightseeing tours are run by a sister company, and therefore priced quite steep.

With three/four flights of stairs, this is not an ideal hotel for families with babies and push carts, or for the elderly and afflicted. Single travellers like me can take recourse in the great location. Jafferji is perhaps best suited for young couples who are so in love, they can turn a blind eye to whatever is missing.

Room Tip: If they offer the Mercury Suite ask for other options - unless you want to be partially blind and slightly deaf at the end of your stay.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank Writergirldubai
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Staff - kind, curteous, professional and accomodating!
Rooms - beautiful, unique, totally zanzibari, spacious!
Food - delicious, great breakfasts!
Location - excellent. Literally in the heart of the best area of Stonetown. Walking distance to all the best shops, restaurants and sights.
My husband and I spent two nights here on our honeymoon. Jafferji House is fabulous.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sultan Suite which was incredible and luxurious. We also took a peek inside most of the other rooms and they were all beautiful and unique. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the rooms here!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights last week and sere sad to leave. I could quite happily have stayed for a month! We stayed in the sultan Suite, and were totally blown away! The bedroom was beautifully decorated - the photographs cannot really capture the beauty of this hotel. We had a massive bed, with top class bedding, lovely mosquito net, Persian carpets on the floor, great aircon(most certainly needed), very big bathroom on suite and complimentary tea, coffee and water. We also had our own private sitting room, with huge ceiling fans - also beautifully decorated with antiques and collectables. I loved the massive antique copper bath. It was blissful to soak in there after a long day of sightseeing. My husband particularly enjoyed the outdoor shower with a view over the roofs to the Old Fort and the sea behind. Breakfast, served in The Mistress of Spices restaurant, was delicious. Freshly squeezed juice, fruit salad, yoghurts and a fully cooked variety was available. We also had dinner there on our first night - very good fare. The staff went out of their way for us. Their service was first class! The location on Jafferji House was great. We walked everywhere, day and night and never felt unsafe. This hotel is excellent value for money. When we visit again, we will most certainly stay at this establishment. I give it 10/10!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2014

This is a fine hotel in the middle of Stone Town. Fascinating restored house, large rooms, fully air conditioned (very important when we there). We received a complimentary private dinner on the roof which was very good, though no alcohol served. Breakfast was excellent. Staff friendly. We thought Stone Town itself was over rated. Tons of tourist shops and street hustlers, incredible litter. Most of the alleged attractions were closed or dilapidated. It was much more attractive 100 years ago based on old photos that I have seen. It is a very different & somewhat interesting culture, but for us one day would have more than sufficed.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple