Jafferji House & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
Coco De Mer Hotel(Stone Town)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
Tausi Palace Hotel(Stone Town)
View Hotel
Emerson on Hurumzi(Stone Town)
  • Restaurant
Zanzibar Hotel(Stone Town)
Kisiwa House(Stone Town)
Al Minar(Stone Town)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewskama sutrasultan suitemercury roomboutique hotelfully air conditionedspice roomprincess salmesand bankoutdoor showerrooftop restaurantour honeymoonbeautiful hotelzanzibari stylestreet noiseasante sanawonderful stayfreddie mercury
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I just got back from spending several days at this beautiful hotel. The staff was so helpful they could not do enough for us. The rooms were beautiful and clean. The only problem I had was the suite they gave us was the Karma Sutra suite which would have been fine except I was with my son. Unfortunately they did not have another suite to give us. The room was beautiful, two story with a bed on each floor. When asking for recommendations to restaurants , someone from the hotel alway accompanied us so that we would not get lost. The food in the restaurant was good the staff was exceptional. I will most certainly be back to this hotel on my next trip.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Very nice hotel in the centre of Stonetown where staff take pride in their service.
Immaculate hotel, beautiful room with 4 poster bed and very eloquent.
Ate lunch in the restaurant which was a lovely setting with fantastic decor and furniture and mealwas good value.
Would also recommend the rooftop private dining. Amazing food, view over the roofs of Stonetown and impeccable service by the waitress...made for a very romantic night.
The owner was very nice, chatting to us and taking great interest in how our stay was and asking if there was any problems.
Also allowed us to stay in the room way after check out time until we left for the airport. Might not sound much but these things show that she wants her guests to have a nice stay. Would recommend if you're wanting to woo the other half......I'd made mine camp across Tanzania for 2 weeks so thought It was the least I could do!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank graham07930
donphida, General Manager at Jafferji House & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Jambo Graham,

It is an absolute pleasure to read such a review. I am delighted to read your comments about the service and It is indeed nice to know that you enjoyed our cuisine and service during your stay with us.
We certainly take great pride and I will definitely share your appreciation with all our staff - Karibu Tena..

Warm Regards, Donna

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stumbled across Jafferji House and Spa almost by accident and what astonishing luck. The place is not for everyone, but for those wanting a personalised, boutique hotel with the friendliest staff in East Africa - this is your place. I stayed in the Mercury Suite - a tribute to Stone Town's boy wonder - and it is a truly unique and surreal experience, with ochre coloured walls, lead light windows, soft and creative lighting, and most available wall space devoted to Queen posters. Donna is a most accommodating and appreciative manager and during my stay Yassir at the front desk would do just about anything to make my time at Jafferji as pleasant as possible. The breakfasts are superb as is the a la carte lunch menu. The only slight downside is the brackish tap and shower water, but this is the slightest of complaints - you should always have some bottled water handy in Tanzania anyway. If you're after a unique experience with superb hospitality look no further.

Room Tip: The Mercury Suite is where I happened to stay and it was superb. Worth requesting it in advance.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MrLomas

Dear Jesse,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share the experience of your stay with us. I am delighted to read all your comments about the hotel and the staff and I will especially share your comments with Yassir.
I assure you that we have since changed our water connection and we have installed a new desalination plant. To our relief, the water is no longer brackish.
Please accept our sincere apologies for this inconvenience
Karibu Tena..
Warm regards, Donna

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We arrived at the Jafferji House hotel after a long day and a flight delay. We were warmly welcomed by staff and treated to a refreshing glass of juice. The staff told us we would be upgraded to a suite, which was a nice surprise - and we were given the Kama Sutra suite. Our 12-year old did not care a bit about the room theme, but was extremely pleased with the layout - two levels with his very cozily arranged single bed on the main floor. With a walk-in shower on the main level, and a larger bed and open air bathing area on the second level, it was really very nicely done. We enjoyed the colorful light fixtures and the beautiful wood chests and wardrobe. And the room was Air Conditioned!

We were running behind due to the flight delay, so we asked for directions to the restaurant at which we had dinner reservations. Stone Town is made up of tiny, winding streets and it would not have been easy to find in the dark. Staff in the lobby kindly offered to walk us there - which we appreciated, even once we learned he did not immediately know where he was leading us. He eventually helped us find the restaurant and, with the exception of a person grabbing our son's arm as we navigated the narrow streets, we arrived without incident.

The next morning, we went down for breakfast in the hotel dining room. We initially sat at one table, then moved to another, more comfortable table. This was when we encountered the "drawback" -- we sat on a bench with pillows, but some pillow stuffing was strewn about the bench. Ok, the pillow had a hole in it, we thought. However, once the wait staffer saw it, she quickly moved us to another booth. We were seated and breakfast was forthcoming. Unfortunately, there was another reason for the pillow issue and it was confirmed about half way through breakfast -- there were mouse droppings on the table. Yuck.

I hate to point it out, as I was otherwise very pleased with the hotel and its staff. And I also realize that we were in an older building, in an older area of the city, and we can't always expect every place in the world to adhere to our standards. But perhaps this will deliver a little heads up that there is a pest problem that needs to be handled. If ever given the opportunity, I do think we would consider staying at the Jafferji again -- as my title states, it was a cool boutique hotel with one little drawback...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Erin E
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I just got back from staying 3 nights at the Jafferji House and Spa. This little hotel was a joy to stay at, and the staff were extremely helpful. The only caveat is that I was staying here on a family vacation and we ended up staying in the "Kama Sutra" suite which made it a little awkward. Other then that, this place had an amazing breakfast (full English!) with hot pastries, and the chef would always stop by our table in the morning to say hello. The photos on the site are a little misleading since they're photos of the high-end suite. But the place does have quite a charm to it. I would certainly stay here again if I found myself in Zanzibar.

Room Tip: If traveling with family, try to avoid the Kama Sutra suite. Just a tip.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
donphida, Manager at Jafferji House & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Jambo Adam,
Thank you for taking the time to write a great review!
We are glad you were able to enjoy the breakfast as our chef’s take great pride in serving you. We hope to be able to welcome you back to Zanzibar and Jafferji House & Spa in the future

Warm regards, Donna