“A True Jewel In Stone Town” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jafferji House & Spa

Jafferji House & Spa
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Stone Town
Florida
“A True Jewel In Stone Town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I just got back from spending several days at this beautiful hotel. The staff was so helpful they could not do enough for us. The rooms were beautiful and clean. The only problem I had was the suite they gave us was the Karma Sutra suite which would have been fine except I was with my son. Unfortunately they did not have another suite to give us. The room was beautiful, two story with a bed on each floor. When asking for recommendations to restaurants , someone from the hotel alway accompanied us so that we would not get lost. The food in the restaurant was good the staff was exceptional. I will most certainly be back to this hotel on my next trip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Greek first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Very nice hotel in the centre of Stonetown where staff take pride in their service.
Immaculate hotel, beautiful room with 4 poster bed and very eloquent.
Ate lunch in the restaurant which was a lovely setting with fantastic decor and furniture and mealwas good value.
Would also recommend the rooftop private dining. Amazing food, view over the roofs of Stonetown and impeccable service by the waitress...made for a very romantic night.
The owner was very nice, chatting to us and taking great interest in how our stay was and asking if there was any problems.
Also allowed us to stay in the room way after check out time until we left for the airport. Might not sound much but these things show that she wants her guests to have a nice stay. Would recommend if you're wanting to woo the other half......I'd made mine camp across Tanzania for 2 weeks so thought It was the least I could do!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank graham07930
donphida, General Manager at Jafferji House & Spa, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Jambo Graham,

It is an absolute pleasure to read such a review. I am delighted to read your comments about the service and It is indeed nice to know that you enjoyed our cuisine and service during your stay with us.
We certainly take great pride and I will definitely share your appreciation with all our staff - Karibu Tena..

Warm Regards, Donna
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stumbled across Jafferji House and Spa almost by accident and what astonishing luck. The place is not for everyone, but for those wanting a personalised, boutique hotel with the friendliest staff in East Africa - this is your place. I stayed in the Mercury Suite - a tribute to Stone Town's boy wonder - and it is a truly unique and surreal experience, with ochre coloured walls, lead light windows, soft and creative lighting, and most available wall space devoted to Queen posters. Donna is a most accommodating and appreciative manager and during my stay Yassir at the front desk would do just about anything to make my time at Jafferji as pleasant as possible. The breakfasts are superb as is the a la carte lunch menu. The only slight downside is the brackish tap and shower water, but this is the slightest of complaints - you should always have some bottled water handy in Tanzania anyway. If you're after a unique experience with superb hospitality look no further.

Room Tip: The Mercury Suite is where I happened to stay and it was superb. Worth requesting it in advance.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank MrLomas
Dear Jesse,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share the experience of your stay with us. I am delighted to read all your comments about the hotel and the staff and I will especially share your comments with Yassir.
I assure you that we have since changed our water connection and we have installed a new desalination plant. To our relief, the water is no longer brackish.
Please accept our sincere apologies for this inconvenience
Karibu Tena..
Warm regards, Donna
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

We arrived at the Jafferji House hotel after a long day and a flight delay. We were warmly welcomed by staff and treated to a refreshing glass of juice. The staff told us we would be upgraded to a suite, which was a nice surprise - and we were given the Kama Sutra suite. Our 12-year old did not care a bit about the room theme, but was extremely pleased with the layout - two levels with his very cozily arranged single bed on the main floor. With a walk-in shower on the main level, and a larger bed and open air bathing area on the second level, it was really very nicely done. We enjoyed the colorful light fixtures and the beautiful wood chests and wardrobe. And the room was Air Conditioned!

We were running behind due to the flight delay, so we asked for directions to the restaurant at which we had dinner reservations. Stone Town is made up of tiny, winding streets and it would not have been easy to find in the dark. Staff in the lobby kindly offered to walk us there - which we appreciated, even once we learned he did not immediately know where he was leading us. He eventually helped us find the restaurant and, with the exception of a person grabbing our son's arm as we navigated the narrow streets, we arrived without incident.

The next morning, we went down for breakfast in the hotel dining room. We initially sat at one table, then moved to another, more comfortable table. This was when we encountered the "drawback" -- we sat on a bench with pillows, but some pillow stuffing was strewn about the bench. Ok, the pillow had a hole in it, we thought. However, once the wait staffer saw it, she quickly moved us to another booth. We were seated and breakfast was forthcoming. Unfortunately, there was another reason for the pillow issue and it was confirmed about half way through breakfast -- there were mouse droppings on the table. Yuck.

I hate to point it out, as I was otherwise very pleased with the hotel and its staff. And I also realize that we were in an older building, in an older area of the city, and we can't always expect every place in the world to adhere to our standards. But perhaps this will deliver a little heads up that there is a pest problem that needs to be handled. If ever given the opportunity, I do think we would consider staying at the Jafferji again -- as my title states, it was a cool boutique hotel with one little drawback...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Erin E
Orlando, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I just got back from staying 3 nights at the Jafferji House and Spa. This little hotel was a joy to stay at, and the staff were extremely helpful. The only caveat is that I was staying here on a family vacation and we ended up staying in the "Kama Sutra" suite which made it a little awkward. Other then that, this place had an amazing breakfast (full English!) with hot pastries, and the chef would always stop by our table in the morning to say hello. The photos on the site are a little misleading since they're photos of the high-end suite. But the place does have quite a charm to it. I would certainly stay here again if I found myself in Zanzibar.

Room Tip: If traveling with family, try to avoid the Kama Sutra suite. Just a tip.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
donphida, Manager at Jafferji House & Spa, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Jambo Adam,
Thank you for taking the time to write a great review!
We are glad you were able to enjoy the breakfast as our chef’s take great pride in serving you. We hope to be able to welcome you back to Zanzibar and Jafferji House & Spa in the future

Warm regards, Donna
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

It might be because i'd just had a very difficult work week, but staying here this weekend has been the most relaxing, wonderful experience. I booked one of the standard rooms but on arrival was told they'd upgraded me to the Jafferji superior suite which is fabulous. Decor is amazing, the fresh breeze blowing through the room just cools off the Zanzibari heat (although colder than London this week!). There's three choices of bathing areas - the main bathroom, a double outdoor shower and a brass bath in the living area - the only one i haven't tried is the main bathroom. Food is great (although the only thing i would wish for is a few more swahili dishes on the menu - there are some, but i'd like more) and the the staff couldn't be more willing to help out. The only downside is i am staying here on my own - this would be the most fantastic place for a romantic break.

I've never written a review before, but i feel so spoilt this weekend that i felt compelled to say thank you more publically than i would normally. Thankyou

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
dffe, Manager at Jafferji House & Spa, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Natasha,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review Jafferji House & Spa and I am delighted that your visit was memorable and that you enjoyed the Jafferji Sultan Suite. It was an absolute pleasure to have you stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kindest Regards, Donna Da Silva
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

I had a wonderful experience at Jafferji. The staff were extremely friendly and the manager made sure everything went perfect. The hotel is beautiful and even before we were taken to the room we requested for a tour of the hotel and everything we saw was way above our expectations.
The manager made sure we got even more than we expected.
The staff were extremely very friendly and they made sure everything went perfect.
The Kamasutra was beautiful. Everything was way above our expectations.
We really enjoyed our time at the hotel.
On a side note, it's also really close to the Forodhani court.

Room Tip: Kamasutra was very relaxing and I'm pretty sure anyone would enjoy staying there.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
dffe, Manager at Jafferji House & Spa, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Mubeen,

I am delighted to read your very kind review and I would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know that you enjoyed your stay at Jafferji House. I am especially glad that you liked the Kamasutra suite. It gives us great pleasure to know that we managed to exceed your expectations. I will be sure to share your review with all our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kindest Regards, Donna Da Silva
Al Minar
Al Minar
#11 of 33 in Stone Town
Tembo House  Hotel & Apartments

Been to Jafferji House & Spa? Share your experiences!