“Thankyou Seyyida” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Stone Town
Zanzibar City, Zanzibar Urban, Tanzania
“Thankyou Seyyida”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

My wife and I recently travelled from Australia to Tanzania and Zanzibar on kind of our second honeymoon. Having already travelled to East Africa I was keen to show my wife the splendours of the coast and especially Zanzibar. Undoubtably the highlight of this part was our short but very sweet stay at the Seyyida Hotel in the old stone town. We were very thrilled on arrival at the tasteful yet authentic decor of our room (201 I think) In the same way the rest of the hotel spaces conveyed an overall feeling of romantic calmness, especially from the various terraces, just what we needed. But really the highlight and truely the essence of the hotel was the staff and service that we received. Right from the manager Diana, so friendly and charming with a subtle professionalism to the receptionist so cheerful and helpful and all the others who made our stay there so unforgettable. Oh how can I have nearly missed to mention the food, especially the breakfast (my favourite). If we can manage a third honeymoon would be hard not to revisit this hotel. As long as the staff are all still there!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights. The hotel and the rooms are lovely. I stayed in a room on the top floor with a private terrace. From the top floor/terrace there is a beautiful view of the sunset. The room was extremely clean and the décor was unique and enchanting. The room and the bathroom are very large and comfortable. Throughout the hotel, there are lots of little areas where one can just relax, read and enjoy the lite July breeze. The hotel is great for sightseeing in Stonetown and there were several great restaurants nearby.The hotel is also very close to the ferry - about a 10 minute walk. I was there during the International Film Festival and found the hotel very convenient for attending events, especially at night and then being able to enjoy a nice stroll along the ocean front. The manager Diana is amazing!! In addition to always having a wonderful smile for her guests, she is very helpful and works extremely hard to ensure that you enjoy your stay. I definitely plan to stay here again while in Zanzibar.

Room Tip: Room on top floor with the private terrace is excellent for watching the sunset or enjoying the bree...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Before booking this hotel I read the reviews with some concern. I called the front desk and spoke to the Manager Diana and she assured me that they had been attended to. I checked in on the 15 July and was greated by a friendly front desk attendant. I was check in to a comfortable room, room was clean and well appointed. Breakfast was served quickly I had bacon and eggs with side order of breakfast fruits. I had lunch in Stone Town. Dinner was a grilled Tuna with a fresh salad. Over all I had a pleasant stay with all the basics I needed in place. I would say that there are a few small things needed i.e a more extensive wine list however I had a good sleep and a decent meal which is what I required.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

When you read the hotel's website description of itself, you'd be bowled over by the pictures and the over-the-top description. The reality is vastly different. We stayed there for 3 nights pre-paid in July 2013. While the room was large with 10 foot ceilings and a good view of the bay, the service was non-responsive, the staff ill-trained and the overall feel of the hotel was not "elegant".
From missing coffee/tea fixings in the room, to unstocked bathroom soap, to a 10 year old TV with fuzzy reception, our entire stay was marked by complaint after complaint to the front desk, only some of which were addressed. The food was not particularly creative; it was OK, and the service was slow. The breakfasts were underwhelming. The staff were generally friendly but they had not been trained properly. I wouldn't recommend this hotel until it has a change of management that understands how to operate an "elegant boutique hotel" as it styles itself.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Buenos Aires, Argentinien
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed in Seyyida Hotel & Spa for 2 nights during the low season in 2013. At the time the Hotel was quite empty so we got a huge and nice room in which we could stay with 3 person (each of us got one matrimonial bed). There is also a beautiful roof terace with restaurant. Unfortunately during the low season half of the breakfast and lunch menu wasnt available. The service was friendly, but could be improved

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

For some reason this review keeps getting rejected (most likely the owners are reporitng it since it is not in their favor).
I will start that the rooms are really nice and unique with Indian furnishing/fixings.
I received a discount and at the moment of checking in I was given sub-standdard service. Every time I walked into the hotel lobby staff never greeted me and instead they stayed on the Internet and did'nt even look up--in fact thieves could have entered and they would have not known.
The food manager never took any feedback as constructed and rather argued about the food instead of fixing the issue as I ate there every night for 1 week.
I had a dramatic experience with a Kenyan who was managing the place and a very strange chain smoker Italian guy whom went off on me after I questioned the manager about calling a fitness center for me before I went there to see if it was open.

After I shifted to the Zanzibar Beach resort the same Italian man was arranging a group of foreigners...since I speak fluent Swahili I could understand him and he was c yelling at staff on the phone being extremely disrespectful to the staff. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Americanincognito
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Right in the middle of town up a narrow alley. It was alright but nothing special. Fine for an overnight stay if you have an earlier morning flight as we had but I would want to stay here for any more than one night. We left at 5am but the promised takeaway breakfast didn't materialise but at that time of the day who cares. Restaurant / bar on the roof is pretty basic, the staff nice but the food choice very limited. Had a bit of a debate when checking out. I wanted to check out the night before we left and had earlier agreed we could pay by mastercard. When it came to it though, the reception bloke wanted cash and told me to go to the ATM. He only relented when I insisted he call his boss which he did and they accepted my credit card but with a huge 5% surcharge!

Room Tip: all pretty near the street so can be noisy
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple