“one of our favorite places in Stone Town”
Review of Monsoon Restaurant

Monsoon Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 76 Restaurants in Stone Town
Cuisines: African, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Lusaka, Zambia
“one of our favorite places in Stone Town”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We ate here twice during our 4 days in Stone Town. Our first meal in Zanzibar was lunch at Monsoon and it still goes down as one of our favorites. We all had the shrimp fajitas and they were delicious! Wonderful Zanzibari spices on the perfectly cooked (not overdone!) shrimp, a papaya/mango salsa, and cool creamy Guacamole were perfect. I also downed 5 delicious iced teas!

We went back for dinner and were saddened to see that the shrimp weren't on the dinner menu. I had the small lobster option (with tamarind sauce) and was pleasantly surprised. Perfectly cooked lobster with a delicious sauce and nice sides. My friend wasn't as pleased with her calamari, but I think she was just jealous of the delicious lobster!

I highly recommend a visit to Monsoon. Only drawbacks: cats and somewhat slow service (I had to flag down the server for my countless refills on iced tea--maybe he wasn't expecting me to be that thirsty, but it was darned hot and humid)!

• Visited April 2013

• Korean first
Bordeaux, France
“Not bed!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Restaurant is nice and typical but food is nothing special and service very slow( you have to wait one hour for your order!) but the location is good,near to Forodhani Gardens and not so far from a nice bar on the beach.

Visited March 2013
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“Pouring with love...”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Having visited Monsoon several times a few years ago, I thought I was prepared for the experience... I was in for a surprise!

We went on a Saturday night and were bracing ourselves for the live taarab, which I find a bit annoying at times. However Monsoon is a proper cultural experience in every sense. We were serenaded by the sounds of 'real taarab', and all around us I could see couples falling in love with the music, with the food and drink, with the ambience, with each other... It was a beautiful and familiar scene/setting. I noticed that every guest gave quite a hefty tip to the performers.

The food was decent, though not spectacular. There were many Swahili staples on the plate, which is great if you are not familiar with Swahili dishes and are looking to sample different things. I still thoroughly enjoyed my octopus dish, as well as the fresh juice.

The only downside was the mosquitoes, which made the experience a little uncomfortable.

Other than that, I would highly recommend Monsoon on a Saturday night if you're looking to kick back, relax, and be lulled into a beautiful state of relaxation.

• Visited March 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“Monsoon not for monsoon!”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The humid and rainy month's of March-May (Zanzibar's monsoon) makes dining in Monsoon difficulty. It is quiet humid and the fans inside the restaurant don't do a good job removing humidity or heat ( in other word the restaurant does not have air conditioning!). The outdoor dining is an certainly an option but its proximity to roadside means complimentary dust on your food! Probably best to dine at Monsoon during the cool winter months. Food is average nothing to die for !

• Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Good food”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I eat inside in the Arabic low seating area.. I wanted to sit outside, looking at the sea.. But mosquitoes decided I was their dinner.. I retreated inside..

The food was very good, although a bit slow to arrive at the beginning..

The staff were friendly and joked with me,...

There a few good places in Stone Town.. This is safe bet for travellers..

Visited March 2013