Warere Town House
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Stone Town
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at Warere Guest House for 2 nights on arrival in Stone Town. We were a bit concerned when we pulled up at first through the back entrance in the dark, but we need not have been worried as it is a wonderful hotel and great value for money. We stayed in a 'deluxe' balcony room which had a huge comfortable bed with a mosquito net, fan and air con. The balcony was lovely.

The decor is quite simple and authentic (nothing fancy, but just right!) and the terrace views are fantastic. There is a fridge where you can help yourself to drinks and breakfast is simple, but nice.

It is about a 10 minute walk to Stone Town and Forodhani Gardens (it is safe, just a bit dark!) and the hotel is conveniently located right by the ferry terminal. If you don't want to walk all the way into Stown Town for dinner, Mercury's is very close and is very nice. We didn't eat there but the menu looked good and drinks on the beach terrace were very nice.

So all in all a lovely place and great value for money! Don't expect luxury, but I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amelie F
Warere, General Manager at Warere Town House, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Hi Amelie,

Thank you for reviewing the Warere! We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Karibuni tena!

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I only stayed here one night but would liked to have stayed more. The staff made you feel welcome form the moment you arrived, and were only to happy to offer advice and guidance on things to do and see when asked.
The rooms were clean and tastefully decorated. The place felt like it had some character. The roof terrace has lovely views over the north part of Stone town with the sea clearly visible.
Breakfast was great. They made fresh pancakes and omelettes for you along with fresh fruit and tea/coffee. They also have a fridge you can grab a cold beer or drink from anytime (added to your room when you check out).
The only unfortunate thing was that for the first 12 hours they had no electricity and no generator, but this was beyond their control.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Loz-jones
Warere, General Manager at Warere Town House, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Hi Loz-Jones, we are really glad you enjoyed your stay at the Warere. Sorry about the power issues, but as you say this is beyond our control. We are now working on installing emergency lighting for when this happens. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Brilliant place to stay en route to the beaches of Zanzibar. The staff are extremely helpful and were a fantastic help to me and my friend whilst we stayed there. The hotel is reasonably priced and a breakfast of fresh fruit, bread, eggs and crepes is included and served on the roof top terrace providing a great view of Stone Town.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chiara B

Hi Chiara, thank you for reviewing us! We're really glad you enjoyed your stay at the Warere and hope to see you again. Karibuni tena!

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I'm not sure why anyone would write a review of a place 2 years after staying there! I stayed 3 nights at Warere before going to Nungwi and 2 nights on the way back. i found the staff to be really helpful and although the area is in a less salubrious part of town always felt safe and actually the fish smells etc added to the character. Warere has been beautifully restored and both rooms i stayed in had AC and a fan. I bought a mosquito net similar to the one on my bed at Warere to bring back to Arusha and there was certainly no problem with bugs. The breakfast eaten on the rooftop was very fresh and was delicious. Thank you to all the staff who were so kind and accommodating. I would certainly stay with you again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank DeeDeeArusha
Warere, General Manager at Warere Town House, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Asante sana Dee Dee, we hope to see you again when you are next in Zanzibar!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

My Boyfriend and myself stayed here last month and couldn't ask for a better place to stay! It was very clean, and the our room was lovely! The breakfast was nice and the rooftop terrace was a very pretty, however what made it so special was the staff. The were always so friendly and welcoming, and were always more than willing to give us directions and advice of what to see and where to eat. Overall an excellent place to stay, and very good value.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you Becky!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We planned to stay here one night and ended up staying three. Rooms are simple (stayed in two different rooms), at times with kinda old, but cool deco n furniture. I'd imagine it may not be everyone's cup of coffee, but I liked it a lot. Showers had enough water pressure and plenty of warm watter. Free internet seems to be the norm at most places. Breaksfast was fairly basic, but nice enough - was served on the roof terrace, which was very pretty. Hotel is little bit away from Stone Town, but no trouble actually, walk to Stone Town under 10 minutes, even in the dark - felt safe. Defo would go back.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Vildo

Thank you for writing a review for us Vildo! Karibuni tena when you are next in Zanzibar

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stayed here for two nights during my stay in Stone Town and could not have picked a better place. Even before I arrived, I had contacted them online to book the room, and ended up emailing the manager a few times with random inquiries. She was always prompt and courteous with her replies, despite the fact that I really did ask A LOT of questions!

When I first arrived, vines full of beautiful flowers cascaded down the front of the property as I walked up: Idyllic! Inside, the town house is quiet and clean, and I had a very comfy room. It was also very easy to walk to and from central Stone Town. Since I only had a few days in Zanzibar, I wanted to make the most of my time there, plus it can be hard to navigate the streets of Stone Town when you first arrive. The staff was incredibly friendly and went above and beyond to be helpful, marking locations of interest on a map, and helping with directions. One of the managers even let me use his personal laptop to check my email, and contact my family.

The town house does offer pick up and drop off at the airport and ferry terminal, but when I left to take the ferry to Dar, they even arranged for a taxi to pick me up at the Dar ferry so I could easily get to the airport! Never once did i get the impression that I was imposing, or asking too many questions. The staff at Warere Town House is superb, and made what was already a great trip even better. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank thenotoriousamy
Warere, General Manager at Warere Town House, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2012

Thank you Amy for writing such a lovely review! We are glad we could make your stay in Zanzibar memorable. We hope to see you again in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stone Town
#11 of 33 in Stone Town
Jafferji House & Spa
Jafferji House & Spa
#12 of 33 in Stone Town

Been to Warere Town House? Share your experiences!