“Excellent...”
Review of Warere Town House

Warere Town House
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Stone Town
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We planned to stay here one night and ended up staying three. Rooms are simple (stayed in two different rooms), at times with kinda old, but cool deco n furniture. I'd imagine it may not be everyone's cup of coffee, but I liked it a lot. Showers had enough water pressure and plenty of warm watter. Free internet seems to be the norm at most places. Breaksfast was fairly basic, but nice enough - was served on the roof terrace, which was very pretty. Hotel is little bit away from Stone Town, but no trouble actually, walk to Stone Town under 10 minutes, even in the dark - felt safe. Defo would go back.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Vildo
Warere, General Manager at Warere Town House, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thank you for writing a review for us Vildo! Karibuni tena when you are next in Zanzibar

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stayed here for two nights during my stay in Stone Town and could not have picked a better place. Even before I arrived, I had contacted them online to book the room, and ended up emailing the manager a few times with random inquiries. She was always prompt and courteous with her replies, despite the fact that I really did ask A LOT of questions!

When I first arrived, vines full of beautiful flowers cascaded down the front of the property as I walked up: Idyllic! Inside, the town house is quiet and clean, and I had a very comfy room. It was also very easy to walk to and from central Stone Town. Since I only had a few days in Zanzibar, I wanted to make the most of my time there, plus it can be hard to navigate the streets of Stone Town when you first arrive. The staff was incredibly friendly and went above and beyond to be helpful, marking locations of interest on a map, and helping with directions. One of the managers even let me use his personal laptop to check my email, and contact my family.

The town house does offer pick up and drop off at the airport and ferry terminal, but when I left to take the ferry to Dar, they even arranged for a taxi to pick me up at the Dar ferry so I could easily get to the airport! Never once did i get the impression that I was imposing, or asking too many questions. The staff at Warere Town House is superb, and made what was already a great trip even better. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank thenotoriousamy
Warere, General Manager at Warere Town House, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2012

Thank you Amy for writing such a lovely review! We are glad we could make your stay in Zanzibar memorable. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed here for one week as part of our honeymoon. we could not have asked for a friendlier place to stay. the staff were extremely helpful in everything that they did and could not do enough for us. the hotel is beautiful and the rooms are clean and tastefully decorated. there is a stunning roof top terrace where you can watch the sunset in the evening. the hotel is tucked away near the ferry port but it was only a five minute walk to forodhani gardens and the centre of stone town. it has great links with the local transport and excursions.

we would like to thank Georgio and the other members of staff for making our stay so memorable.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Abby B

Thank you Abby and Ben! We are glad we could help make your honeymoon that little bit more special! Karibuni tena when you visit Zanzibar again

Reviewed September 1, 2012

The location is out of town. 10 mins and you're there. when our taxi pulled up we thought "umm, what?!" the hotel is located back form the street, a street that is connected straight to what seems like an industrial area/sea port. Seems shady at first but like many others have detailed it was very safe. And for this price you can't expect to be in the Beverly Hills of Stonetown.

The staff was awesome! Georgio was the head and he was very knowledgable and you could tell his absolute number one concern was our comfort. The only bone to pick is with the breakfast girls on the rooftop. They could use a day of customer service training.

The room and bathroom is nothing to right home about. It's a bed to sleep in and nothing more but again for this price we can't expect all the frills. The bathroom was clean but could probably use some updating on the fixtures, ceiling, etc. Completely workable, don't get me wrong, but a facelift may be in order in the next year or two.

Expect a walk to town. Expect a weird neighborhood for a hotel. Expect a little grunge. But also expect an awesome staff.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank brianreda

Thank you Brian and Angie for reviewing the Warere. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and the hospitality of our staff. Unfortunately upkeeping an old building ilke the Warere is a full time job! We actually just refurbished and retiled all our bathrooms in April 2012, when we also did our yearly painting and maintenance. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed August 31, 2012

We (2 adults, one 4YO child) stayed at Warere Town House for 4 nights. It was a great place - really warm and friendly staff, willing to go the extra mile to arrange tours etc; clean and cool rooms with good fans/AC; and a bargain, to boot!

We'd gladly stay again - always a good sign. And I specifically want to respond to a couple of reviews mentioning concerns about accessibility/safety. We found it very easily. It's a great place from which to explore Stone Town (if you want to, you can always pay $1 for a taxi ...) but you can easily walk into town from there - maybe 15 mins? And it is perfectly safe. I took my 4YO for a walk around there at 2100h, when she couldn't sleep, on the first night of Eid. Not even a hint of trouble. It's a friendly and safe town, so you can get more for your money by staying a little further out.

Thanks, Warere - we'll be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TomHilsLucy

Thank you Tom, Hilary and Lucy for reviewing the Warere. We are really glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We often take our children walking in the evening and they love the liveliness too! Karibuni tena

Reviewed August 29, 2012

The Warere Town House Hotel in Stonetown is a well-run, clean, and comfortable establishment. Everyone who worked there was friendly and so, so helpful. It's within walking distance of everything and safe. The breakfast was great on a terrace overlooking the bay. What I also liked is that they had an array of books for reading if you weren't into going out. I highly recommend this hotel if you're in Stonetown and you don't want to pay a fortune for a room.

Room Tip: Any room is good
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Thank you Nancy! We hope the rest of your trip through Zanzibar went well!

Reviewed August 29, 2012

I stayed at the townhouse for two days at the beginning of my travels in Zanzibar (pre-booked) and returned for the last night before departing to Dar es Salaam. What makes Warere townhouse such a good hotel is firstly; the staff. The girls handling the breakfast on the rooftop terrace are lovely. The staff at the reception desk were so friendly and helpful in all ways.They don't try to take advantage of you in anyway and will give you a good rate if you want to pay in Shillingi. (Anything goes) Unlike Malindi Guesthouse who charged you 1600 shillingi for a dollar and seemed unable to see the long term benefits of being honest with people and keep the rooms clean and guests will come back. The night porter at Warere town house was very cool!

The hotel is very clean. I first stayed in a single room which was very good and cheap, extremly good value for your money. I did experience some noise from the toilet, but the manager and the assistant manger were on it straight away and it was easily fixed. On my return I splashed out and stayed in a double room which was pure luxury. Power shower with warm water and a huge bed.

Thank you staff at the Warere town house for a great beginning and great end to my stay in Zanzibar.

One more thing, even though the manger was Mzungu in my eyes he seemed to be treating his staff like equals. No shouting or looking down upon them. That was what really made the hotel such a pleasant stay for me.

Linda

Oh, by the way some people have been complaining about the location. The location is not a problem. Warere town house is in a buzzing area called Malindi. Cheap and good food, especially the tamarind chicken right outside. You have to walk through some narrow alleys to get there which is great. That's what Stonetown is all about.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Linda B

Thank you Linda for your review! We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and soaked up the buzzing atmosphere of Malindi. We hope to see you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stone Town
#11 of 33 in Stone Town
Jafferji House & Spa
Jafferji House & Spa
#12 of 33 in Stone Town

Been to Warere Town House? Share your experiences!