“Dolphin Tour, Kizimkazi village, Zanzibar”
Review of Dolphin Tour

Dolphin Tour
Ranked #26 of 27 things to do in Stone Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Dolphin tour in Zanzibar is an half day Tour which starts from early morning at 6:00am, or an afternoon session which starts at 4;00pm, the tour is done at kizimkazi fishing village, southern coast of the island, the village is very much known for it's historical sites, the old mosque of kizimkazi and miza wa miza caves are the main attractions around the village, the tour is being able to swim close with the dolphin, for lucky people, they can even get chance to play with dolphins some of hours,
Reviewed April 14, 2018 via mobile

Swimming with the dolphins has also been on my to do list, so it was a thrill to check it off my list.

Kizimkazi Village, is home to both the white and black dolphins which we had the pleasure of seeing both.

Interesting fact, The black dolphins are very friendly to humans, you can easily enter the ocean with them and swim with them... The White dolphins on the other hand are not human friendly, they love to swim on their own and no human interaction.

Date of experience: April 2018

Reviewed March 4, 2018

I did not like the idea from the first moment but one of my travel mates loves dolphins and we stayed 6 days in Kizimkazi, so our local friend took us in the morning for a dolphin tour. I think this was the most varvarian act that I have ever done during my travels.
I can't blame local people, they are very poor and not well educated and tourism brings them some income BUT what about the idiot tourists and travel agencies? Where is the strickt Tanzanian goverment that keeps the main land National Parks so protected, where is the WWF or Green Peace?
The experience is definitely about chasing of wild dolphins with a few motor boats that try to cut the way of the animals to capture them in a circle where tourists could jump in the water kind of a swim with them.
I hope it will be reorganized soon to make it a nice experience. I am sure there are friendlier ways to watch the animals and learn about them. I wish local people of Kizimkazi will be educated for that and get the best out of this treasure that they got from the nature.
I recommend better go on Blue safari to one of the miracolous small islands around Zanzibar, snorkelling is amazing everywhere, don't chase dolphins.

6  Thank annasights
Reviewed February 14, 2018

The trip started out nice, but at one point we found ourselves in the open sea with 2-3m waves. Pretty scary in a boat that small. When we finally found the dolphins, then the huge waves were breaking just a few meters away from the flock of boats. Although I feel quite at home in the water, I didn't dare to go swimming with them in such harsh waters. It seems that a lot of people were of the same mind in other boats as well. Definitely a cool experience, but I wouldn't go there again. The experience of seeing the dolphins swim in rough waters was not enough to warrant going into such big waves with such a small boat again..

3  Thank Jan-Erik T
Reviewed February 8, 2018 via mobile

There were too many boats who chasing the dolphins and yes, you can see them, but there will be too big waves and I don’t recommend to swim there! Actually our whole boat wanted to go back, because of the big waves and this was very scary experience. I don’t afraid a sea, but this was a bit rough even for me! If it’s possible, choose a weather, when is not too windy. Great experience, but there isn’t a change to swim with dolphins, only see them :)

See more reviews
Reviewed January 14, 2018

A unique experience for me. I was initially very scared. We ventured into the sea when it was high tides as well as extremely windy. Our boat wasnt keeping steady and there was too much movement even to sit in the boat. After sailing into the sea for 30 minutes, we sighted the dolphins along with many other boats. The tour guy asked me to jump, but I was literally sacred as I never jumped into sea when it is high tides and windy. Still i jumped, but couldnt manage to get any glimpse of the dolphins. When I surfaced, I saw my boat at least 50 mins away (since the tides were heavy) and I panicked.
Once I climbed the boat I decided not to get into the water again. We asked the tour guy just to take us around and my family will just watch dolphins from the boat. Just then two dolphins surfaced again and for some strange reason, I jumped into see and started swimming with them. A pretty unique experience, where you swim with the wild dolphins in their natural habitat. Once I was done, my kids started crying as they wanted to do the same. But since it wasnt safe we asked them to hold the boat handle and get into the water. And once dolphins comes, just look inside water with the snorkelling kit. We were lucky enough that when the dolphins came, they swam underneath our boat and both my kids (My son aged 7 and my daughter aged 10) saw the dolphins upclose.
After 30 mins I jumped again and this time I swam with the dolphins even much more closer and for few seconds longer.

A must experience