“If you want to experience a real Zanzibari family meal, this is the place for you”
Review of Two Tables

Two Tables
Ranked #50 of 78 Restaurants in Stone Town
Cuisines: African, Indian, Fusion
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 14, 2011

My husband and I visited Two Tables last week. There really are only 2 tables, although they seat up to 8 people each - on the night we went, we were the only diners.
I am astounded by the reviews that have been posted on here, and I couldn't rate this place high enough with 5 stars. I can only imagine that the people who rated it so badly are the sort of people who prefer to stay in an antiseptic, hermetically sealed chain hotel and are afraid of catching something if they come into contact with (SHOCK HORROR!) an actual person who actually lives in Zanzibar.
The food is unashamedly rustic, and is what the family themselves with sit down to eat for their dinner. We feasted on amazing samosas with fresh lime, tiny fried balls of vegetables and fish with a homemade spicy coconut sauce, the best daal I have ever eaten in my life (and I have spent some considerable time in India), delicious palate-cleansing vegetable soup, and tuna steaks in a coconut curry with beautifully made jewel pilau and marinated baby aubergines.
There is no alcohol, but the tables are clean, as are the plates, and the cutlery, and the experience was absolutely unique and brilliant.
If you want to have an authentic meal, go to Two Tables - just make sure to book and to actually turn up, as the family buys the food fresh every day, depending on who is coming.
Amazing.

1  Thank elphick_sarah

Reviewed December 8, 2010

We had read about 'Two tables' in a guide book and went there with great expectations. To say we were dissapointed is an understatment.
Having been led to believe that we would lounge on cushions and rugs on a Zanzibari veranda we were sat at a table that was covered in sticky plastic and not very clean. The chairs were also covered in plastic which when the weather is as warm as it is in Zanzibar makes for a very uncomfortable evening!
The food is purely and simply inedible slop. It ALL resembled cat sick and tasted vile.
This establishment is living of past glories and should, quite frankly be closed down.
The owner also short changed us by claiming he had no change but by that time we just wanted to get as far away as possible in the shortest time!

Reviewed December 1, 2010

i think this is probably the rudiest place i have ever been too, from management to staff they were all rude, shouted, tried to make an angrument out of everything. just the worst experience, we left before finishing. please do not waste your time going there it will ruin your holiday.

Reviewed June 9, 2010

I recently visited two tables with a large group of friends. The owner was extremely rude and aggressive to two members of our group. He asked his Son to watch one as he said he might steal something and when we complained that the amount we had been quoted was not the same as the amount he charged he said he did not trust the person and was very rude. The food was quite good but we were so squashed on the room and unsettled by the arguments I could not wait to leave...

Reviewed June 8, 2010

The owner was very rude and abrupt. Not polite at all and seemed to cause any arguement for anything that he was not happy about