“Great Indian Food”
Review of The Silk Route

The Silk Route
Ranked #8 of 77 Restaurants in Stone Town
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Great Indian food, nicely spiced in a romantic setting with good service- what else can you ask for? I could tell you about what we had (lamb for me and vegiterian something for her) but they have a large well rounded menu. This is one of the best if not THE best spot in Stonetown. Really.

There are newer reviews for The Silk Route

Reviewed November 1, 2013

For being a European, I been staying now quite a while as a residence here in Tanzania and wondering, why I did not visit this place a long time ago. My spouse and I actually missed breakfast due some business at town and our plan was to have some coffee till lunch time, because most restaurants open for lunch at 12:30, but on our way we passing The Silk Route Restaurant and there offer lunch from 11:00 till 15:00 o clock so we been tempted because we were already hungry to visit this place. At first we been a bit undecided because we are not used to Indian spicy food but at the entrance we been warmly welcomed and the porter explained us all the details we wanted to know. At the restaurant itself we found a very professional service who leading us to the table and providing us with the menus. The orders for drinks and food are prompt responded without long waiting period’s in-between and the waitress who served us paid attention to every detail for our care. The Indian food was very tasty, full of flavors and we did not regret at all to make this decision to eat there. Actually after main course, I was already full but being offered the dessert menu, I could not withstand to try the Chocolate-Banana- Waffle and for my spouse a delicious banana –split. I tip for all who visit this place.
Dear Silk Route team, thanks’ to let us feel special. We will be definitive back on our next visit.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Great Indian food with a nice atmosphere in the restaurant, friendly people and good service. The Machi (Fish) fry was one my best fish that I have had.

Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

If you enjoy Indian food this is a must. Looking over the city streets in an open air patio adds to the atmosphere. The food is pure Indian with all the right spices and flavor. The wait staff were very friendly and efficient

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Pros:
- very nice view
- helpful staff
- delicious food

Cons:
- the place looks old and requires major refurbishment
- bit overprices compared to the size of portion and environment
- long, bit slippery, old stair case
- lots of flies since it's an open restaurant

Would go again as the food is worth it, nothing more