“Worth having a look but not to eat”
Review of Forodhani Gardens

Forodhani Gardens
Ranked #31 of 79 Restaurants in Stone Town
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I was quite determined to visit the Forodhani Food Market on our first night in Stone Town and devised an eating strategy which comprised first of eating at a local restaurant (see Monsoon) and then topping up if we were still hungry. This is not as crazy as you might imagine because this what most people from the Far East do - we have many night markets (pasar malam) where people just have a snack after their main meal.

The meal at Monsoon was not great (see review) so our family then walked a few paces to the Forodhani Gardens where the stalls were looking busy. However, even before we could enter the main area we were once again - as throughout the day - accosted by 'papasi' (tourist touts) which made it difficult to just wander around and have a look at the stalls.

We did manage to make it around the food stalls and basically the stalls sell grilled seafood (every stall looks the same), local pizza and drinks such as sugar cane juice. I grew up on sugar cane juice but the conditions here looked unhygienic so I gave it a miss. In fact, at my insistence, we gave everything a miss. I think I just did not want the responsibility of looking after a sick husband or sick children when we were so close to the end of our holiday in Zanzibar.

Who is this place for? I would say it might appeal to adventurous travellers who don't mind haggling with the stall holders on the price of the food, who don't mind if the food doesn't taste as expected (whether better or worse) and who don't even mind if the food is not very clean. In fact, our eldest son (aged 19) said he would have happily tried something here eg the local pizza.

I am giving it one star because I have been around really good food markets/ stalls and so I do know what I am comparing this to.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We were due to eat in the gardens where I had eaten many times before on my trip 10 years ago. We were however warned by numerous different parties that the 'fresh' nature of the evening was not up to scratch. Many people have suffered problems after eating here so please do so at your own risk. When you are told that fish was caught only that day and it is cooked and cooled then cooked again only to be tough and chewy, this may be yesterdays food, most of which is stored with no refridgeration. I love the garden for its life after sunset and the local experience but beware.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Well worth a visit - we went to Stone Town for the day and stayed until evening so we could visit the Gardens and eat some local food at the night market. The Zanzibar pizza, samosas and sugar cane juice were the best.

2  Thank Joybould
Reviewed September 25, 2012

A fun place to visit after dark when staying in Stone Town. A good mix of local people and tourists give the Gardens a buzz as it comes to life at night with people taking a stroll or coming to eat. The Zanzibar Pizza is a must to try - just don't expect anything along the lines of an Italian pizza. we also really enjoyed the sugar cane dring with added ginger and lime. A tip we were given was to eat from the smaller stalls as the food is fresher and we found that to be true. Plenty of choice and so much to try that it is worth arriving hungry!

2  Thank JoyTelfordUk
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Such a great variety of Tanzanian and Zanzibari speciality street food - mishkaki, shwarmas, Zanzibari pizza, freshly squeezed sugarcane juice with lime and ginger - a must do in Zanzibar! Such good value for money and a real buzz with so many people hanging out there in the evenings.