“Very Conveniently Situated”

Ranked #25 of 33 Hotels in Stone Town
Richmond, Canada
“Very Conveniently Situated”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Centrally located,walking distance from the ferry landing.The staff met us at the ferry landing and led us to the Hotel which was very convenient,Room was a little small but the bed was large enough to accommodate both of us.In the evening we walked down to the Forzani where we could buy all kinds of snacks and fruit.Roof top breakfast was good.so was dinner very fresh sea food with a view of the sea.Taxi arrangement was good.The next day and we were shown around stone town and the market.We enjoyed our stay and wish we could have stayed longer!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Juma, Mohamed, Casiem, Evelyn.
Beautiful friendly memorable staff at Asmini Palace. Couldnt ask for a more welcome (karibu !) Stone Town experience. They arrange everything you need just a phone call away. Clean basic rooms with own balcony. Clean bathroom with fan, shower only have to hold on to the shower head otherwise it sprays all over - not sure if this was limited to my room only. As soon as you get the hang of it and remind yourself you are here for a different experience, it could be fun and part of the whole Stone Town experience. There is a tap about the height of your hips in the shower and you can also kneel to rinse your hair with both hands :) luckily lots of room in the shower. No safe in the rooms but you are able to lock your valuables away at reception when leaving the hotel. Basic breakfast served every morning on the roof top - enjoyed the variety of fresh fruits provided each morning. Missed my bacon though, but didnt really expect it anyway- after all a Muslim country. All in all, a great feel good experience. Would have rated 3 but the wonderful service I got from each and every staff member made me feel they deserve a 4.

• Stayed November 2013
Stockholm
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Small room/wc and poor pressure in the shower. The bed was a little bit short for us 1,75 & 1,84 and hard.
Helpfull staff and also the breakfast was good except that they did not service real coffee just instante and that's not real coffee for 2 coffeedrinkers like we are.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed 25 days at Asmini Palace Hotel. Maintenance, house keeping and services were excellent and all the staff service-minded and friendly. A roof top restaurant serving a mix of continental and local dishes. There is even an elevator, which is rare in Stone Town. Centrally located in a quiet mainly residential area. Value for money and a "home away from home"

Lasse, Stockholm, Sweden

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I ate lunch at the roof restaurant of this hotel. It was my last day in Zanzibar and I went in because there was an item on the menu that I really wanted and their sign said they took credit cards. I wanted to save my last cash so I wouldn't have to make another ATM withdrawl and then end up with money I had to exchange back. When I ordered, the waitress told me that the item I wanted wasn't available. I should have left at that point but decided to order something else. The fish was dry and overcooked. When I got the check I put down my credit card. The waitress took me down to the front desk to run the credit card, at which point the man behind the desk told me it was too small of an amount (about $12 US dollars) and he wouldn't run the credit card. Right on the restaurant menu it said they would take credit cards with a 6% service fee which I was fine with paying. There were also visa stickers on the door and front desk, however he insisted it would take them too long to get paid from the credit card and it was too small of an amount. He made me hand over every last penny of cash that I had. Apparently customer service is not a priority and they had no problem saving themselves trouble by making me incur ATM and currency exchange fees.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank slaumsu89
W. Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I have stayed at Asmini Palace twice, once in 2008 and again in 2013. It is absolutely awesome! A bit hard to find in the middle of the tiny streets, but once you do you won't be disappointed. The staff are great and the rooms are even nicer. Four poster beds with mozzie netting and great Zanzibari architecture. Neat and clean. Try it, you'll love it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The rooms are excellent, big and comfortable with nice bathrooms and cable tv (which actually worked perfectly which is unusual!). However as the hotel is in the same price range as other nice hotels in stone town then the rest of the hotel is not good value. There's no pool of course and the roof top terrace is a bit drab (although the food isn't too bad). The building itself has the riad style of other hotels but it's nowhere near as nice as say dhow palace.

The service is also not very good - the menu has prices which are less than they charge you (they tell you about it after you've eaten!), my laundry came back soaking wet still, got sent back, then came back the next day still damp, and when checking out the guy got it completely wrong and tried to overcharge us - it took about 20 minutes to sort out his mistakes as he didn't know how to use the credit card machine.

If you just want a nice room then this is ok - but for the price there's better places in stone town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple