All reviews mud hut the reserve boat safari game drives walking safari relaxed place river camp private bathroom friendly place to stay cold beer bar and dining area wild dogs safari experience hot water common areas milky way local village
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I made a lot of research before choosing to stay at Selous River Camp! You have three possible choices stay in a Mudhut, stay in a Tent or use your Own Tent. I believe all choices are of great value depending on your budget. You will receive excellent food and great service at this lodge. The lodge will arrange your permit for Selous game reserve (even the payment) and lunch box so you can visit Selous game reserve the whole day if you want! I did drive my own car so I drove out in the morning and arrive back again in the evening. The needed service is there, you have Internet in the reception and in the restaurant, toilet and shower are communal ablution block with hot and cold water, electricity are available at certain times so you can charge your mobile phones, Ipads and cameras. Great service, excellent food in the middle of an wilderness area very far from civilization. Fantastic value for money spent.

Reviewed August 23, 2019

Selous is a lovely park to visit. Staff was very friendly and helped us out with a permit while we were on our way to the camp. With the road from Morogoro you have to cross the park and need a permit for the passing. The permit is valuable 24 hours. So we could visit the park again next day. The mudhuts are very nice.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed August 18, 2019

My family and I just spent two fantastic nights in August at Selous River Camp. We were traveling in a large group: 6 adults and 5 children ages 2 to 12. The camp's huts are amazing and make you feel well integrated into the surrounding environment. The meals offered are delicious, and the bar is a really enjoyable space. The swimming pool is lovely after a full day out seeing the surroundings. The views of the river and the sunsets are beautiful. With regards to the guided visits we took part in two boat tours and one full day open jeep safari. We were so fortunate to see giraffes, impalas, zebras, hippos, crocodiles... elephants and even a lion! The Selous Game Reserve is an amazing place where in August with the river low it is easy to see so many animals. It was lovely to discover so many species first hand and to witness our children learning about wildlife conservation. Our guide Mpogo was a wealth of knowledge and he was patient and careful in his explanations so we were all fully able to understand how all of these amazing animals live in this special space.

Reviewed August 12, 2019

Spent 4 nights here on a private safari and were thrilled. The proactive staff cannot do enough for you. The rooms were large and very comfortable. The shower left something to be desired but heck, you are on safari, right? The food was excellent with many choices for both lunch and dinner. A late afternoon/early evening boat ride on the river was stunning as we watched an awesome sunset.

Date of stay: June 2019
1  Thank ernrich
Reviewed August 6, 2019 via mobile

I’d like to second all of the other great review about the River Camp. My two teenage daughters and I just spent 4 days here, and it was all I was hoping it would be. Our guide, Mpogo, taught us so much in a short time. The area is great for animal-watching, and is quiet and laid-back. One daughter is a vegetarian, and her meals were fantastic, as was all of the food. All of the staff were welcoming and helpful.

Trip type: Traveled with family