This lodge was the second of 3 on our honeymoon safari. We arrived late after a long drive but were greeted with cold towels by Holly (the assistant manager) and another member of staff. The location is excellent and our banda had a good view over the trees. A nearby beehive was a bit unnerving, but nearby wildlife is to be expected. The en suite bathroom is not completely enclosed (which the other lodges had been) and ours had a bat flying around in the evening (we thought that was very cool, others may be less keen!)
Our introduction with Holly started well and we agreed that we would talk about the plans for the following day at dinner, "when these things are normally sorted out". Holly never turned up at dinner so we had no idea what the plan was. Before dinner we had also found that our toilet didn't flush and she was no where to be found when we asked for her after dinner. Someone did come and fix the toilet but didn't do it properly so it only flushed once.
The following day Holly had reappeared and we spoke to her about the toilet and it was fixed properly while we were away that day.
We found the food here to be excellent, (indeed one of the dinners was the best beef we'd ever had!) and the fact that the water came from a nearby spring (we didn't mind drinking) was also very good. The meals were only spoilt by Holly's presence (apart from the first evening) when she would sit very close by despite having the rest of the restaurant to choose from. We felt this was a little awkward and stifled conversation.
All the other staff (including the manager, Mbasha) were excellent.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The beautiful Sable Mountain lodge is set in the beho hills on the North Western boundary of Selous Game Reserve. The lodge is built over several hills giving a fantastic vantage point and, arguably the best view of the reserve. There is a combination of large and comfortable en suite tented rooms and stone cottages all private and all with great views. The freshwater pool provides a welcome on return from a safari. The nearby tree house and water hole attracts lots of game and a few hours can easily be spent there observing. Relax at the Land Rovers Return pub before dining in the restaurant or under the endless stars. The most special element about Sable Mountain is the team who are famous for their friendliness and will go the extra mile to ensure that you have a superb safari experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Sable Mountain Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sable Mountain Hotel Selous Game Reserve
- Sable Mountain Lodge Tanzania/Selous Game Reserve