Our three-night stay here was part of a longer safari-holiday in Tanzania & Zanzibar. From the UK end, we had booked through the super-efficient people at Voyages Jules Verne - to be looked after, with meticulous care, by a top-notch company going by the memorably catchy name of Tent with a View (check out their website). First, we had spent some days at the company's coastal lodge in Saadani before flying in a 13-seater Cessna 208 to the Kisaki airstrip in Selous - there to be taken by jeep to the gem which is the Sable Mountain Lodge. This is secreted away on a beautiful hillside and its rooms (or bandas) are scattered around the spacious grounds at slightly different heights. Blimey: it even has a swimming pool. We had the good fortune to be housed in one of the uppermost rooms with astounding sunrise and sunset views over towards the Uluguru Mountains.~ It was a joy and a privilege to be billeted here for these few nights. Indeed, although we did need it, we had two bedrooms and two bathrooms; but, in discussion with other guests, all were thrilled with the quality, style and cleanliness of their temporary hillside homes. ~ Sensibly, the rooms run on solar power but it took only the most simple level of planning to work around the short periods of the day in which electricity might not be available and there was hot water aplenty. ~ The bar and dining area is atmospherically warm and inviting and a fine place to relax and to enjoy a pre-dinner drink with other guests. ~ As in Saadani, the cuisine is varied, fresh, delicious and plentiful - and, let it be said, would knock spots off many restaurants here in London. ~ This is as yet a fairly undeveloped and beautiful part of Tanzania and the safaris - some inland to find lions, giraffes, zebra, elephants, impala, warthog and so many other species (and we found them all), others waterborne (hippos, crocodiles and the most amazing marine and bird life) - were out of this world. For the keen photographer, the biggest decision at times was in which direction to point the lens. ~ At the heart of any successful organisation or company, however, lie its staff. And we were greatly impressed at every turning by the integrity of those who work for Tent with a View. It is a clever formula and the company deserves to prosper. The staff are highly knowledgeable; well trained; deeply committed to responsible tourism and to the projects in which they are involved; unfailingly friendly,helpful and trustworthy - and we thank each and every one of them for so many laughs and happy memories. - Bob & Maggie Wood - Surrey
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The beautiful Sable Mountain lodge is set in the beho hills on the North Western boundary of Selous Game Reserve. The lodge is built over several hills giving a fantastic vantage point and, arguably the best view of the reserve. There is a combination of large and comfortable en suite tented rooms and stone cottages all private and all with great views. The freshwater pool provides a welcome on return from a safari. The nearby tree house and water hole attracts lots of game and a few hours can easily be spent there observing. Relax at the Land Rovers Return pub before dining in the restaurant or under the endless stars. The most special element about Sable Mountain is the team who are famous for their friendliness and will go the extra mile to ensure that you have a superb safari experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Sable Mountain Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sable Mountain Hotel Selous Game Reserve
- Sable Mountain Lodge Tanzania/Selous Game Reserve