“Very impressive”

Lake Manyara Hotel
Queanbeyan, Australia
“Very impressive”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

The entrance invites you to expect grand things and the view delivers. The room was on the small side but comfortable although unfortunately I only had a view out to the lawn. But having a drink at the bar provided the panorama of the lake below the escarpment. The service was superb but maybe that was because there were so few guests? I was disappointed in the too hot curry for dinner but the chef offered to give me something else. I enjoyed the art features in the foyers.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Munich, Germany
Reviewed July 2, 2012

great garden and pool with amazing view over landscape, nicely decorated very clean rooms, perfect setting on the rim above lake, great buffet

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 24, 2012

This was a beautiful lodge with a grand entrance and lovely lounge bar. The rooms were comfortable and doors opened to a small outdoor seating area overlooking the grounds and the fantastic view. The decor was beautiful and there was an outdoor pavillion with a bar where you sit and drink in the view. The pool was clean and refreshing and we enjoyed the company of our friends who also loved this lodge. I enjoyed wandering around the grounds and taking photos - the sunrises are spectacular - so worth getting up early when you're there. No issues to speak of other than the food being average and the service in the dining room being a little slow. We spent 2 night there and it was a memorable visit and I would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank DidiAntoni
Potsdam, Germany
Reviewed April 10, 2012

So far, this is the best Wildlife Ldge in TZN. It had been closed for quite a long time, underwent reconstruction and was reopened not too long ago. The view over the Rift Valley and Lake Manyara is extraordinarily beautiful. The Lodge is far better situated than the Serena Lodge (been there in 1998 and for a short visit in 2011), because you have a view in southerly direction. With good binoculars at hand, it is possible to observe wildlife in LMNP from the terrace. The garden, pool and poolbar is a highlight as well. Be careful! We saw a Green Mamba gliding gently past us and disappearing in the acacia tree just next to the poolbar. The rooms are quite small, but well decorated and clean. Just as in all the other Wildlife Lodges, the bathrooms are functional and not luxurious. However, they serve their goals. The food was very good! Better than in Seronera nd Ngorongoro Wildlife! The Restaurant was newly built, is spacious and provides a nice atmosphere. Caution: if you have lunchboxes - as with all the Wildlife Lodges, the boxes fall short! Containing lots of pastry-stuff and chicken wings, they allegedly caused "Montezuma's Revenge" with our company. Therefore, we skipped the boxes and returned for lunch to the Hotel even after check out in the morning. If you can arrange it, I would recommend you to do likewise - get the good lunch in the hotel instead of the lunch boxes. Overall, the Hotel management seems to make a good job - service was straightforward, e.g. we immediately got a room despite arriving much earlier than expected and were warmly welcomed by the staff. The piano lounge is also very nice with a special flair in the evening. looking forward to coming back to this wonderful place.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bernard C
California
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I loved this place so much. I found the decor so exotic and beautiful. And the pool area was fantastic. The water was warm, the service prompt, and view, while we swam and enjoyed drinks, was fabulous. It was breathtaking and I had a great time taking photos. I really liked watching the monkeys too. I certainly couldn't find one flaw with the place because we had a terrific time. We spent 2 nights there and I would love to return. They had piano music in the evening, good food, and perfect ! service. Thank you Manyara !

Room Tip: The views from the rooms are really vast and serene.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Having just realized now I never reviewed the safari hotels we stayed at on the trip to Tanzania last year, I will do so now. Our first night of the safari, we stayed at Lake Manyara Hotel for one night. This was pre-booked for us by our tour (Good Earth Tours). We had gone on the "Standard" safari rooms instead of the camping option since some of the friends we were going with don't enjoy camping. Actually, one of our friends wanted us to choose the "Luxury" option, but wow, we were all blown away by this place (which makes us wonder what "Luxury" is like??). The hotel and grounds are beautiful and the gardens and lawn are obviously manicured and nicely maintained. I quite like the design and feel of the whole hotel. Our room was big and luxurious by my standards with a beautiful view. There was some freakish cold weather the day we visited so it was too cold to use the very nice pool unfortunately. The outdoor bar was a nice place to relax and enjoy the view instead. Dinner was between average and good, depending on who among my friends you ask. Dinner service was a bit more iffy, but we think it's because the server didn't understand English very well. Breakfast was a buffet with a huge amount of choice so there was something in there everyone liked. Service overall was very helpful during our stay and I have no complaints. You could even say overly helpful since were we jokingly chastised for wanting to carry our own bags down at check-out.

I really, really enjoyed staying here, but felt like this was a sort of experience for me rather than a usual place that I would stay at (except for work or something else along those lines). Next time, I would try a camping safari since that is more my style. However, I would definitely stay here again if a large fortune comes my way and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who is looking for a bit of luxury in the wild.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank GloJul
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed November 22, 2011

During my safari in Kenya and Tanzania during Octobe,2011 I get an opportunity to stay one night in this hotel. From the time of check in to check out I never feel that I am out of my home. It so friendly envourment. Room is clean with acomfortable sitting arrangement. Beautiful pool, Positionally it so good that you can seat in the open space and enjoy the beauty. Choice of food and its quality is so good which cater need of everybody. All the staff is decent beave. we feel the service of the hotel is equal to 3/4 star standard. It is really a Uder rated Hotel. I like the hotel very much.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Seronera Wildlife Lodge
Seronera Wildlife Lodge
#92 of 117 in Serengeti National Park
Four Seasons Safari Lodge Serengeti
Four Seasons Safari Lodge Sereng...
#3 of 117 in Serengeti National Park
Burudika Lodges
Burudika Lodges
#2 of 15 in Mto wa Mbu

Been to Lake Manyara Hotel? Share your experiences!