“Best service and accomadations in many years of African travel”
Review of E Unoto Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake Manyara National Park
E Unoto Retreat
Reviewed September 15, 2009

Exceptional service, from the welcome at arrival and check in to the provided 24 hour personal valet , was enthusiastic, friendly, sincere, and thoughtful.

The accomadations were inspirational, very clean, lots of local culture decorations, great views, and comfortable.

The food was way beyond what we expected. Excellent gourmet options that were artfully presented. Four or more courses with more than we could eat. Too bad we could not find a way to bring some home.

Enjoyed a walk to the 100 foot waterfall thru the bananna and palm plantations. Great swimming pool with a view over the valley.

Fun evening entertainment from local Masai villages.

Great game drives in three nearby game parks.

We have been traveling to Africa for over 35 years and enjoyed our E-Unoto stay more than any other.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank BenCasey

Reviewed February 25, 2009

very very disappointed!!!:
- room very uncomfortable and dark; power only after complaint; hotwater... only after complaint!
- food- dreadful! most of it from most tables went back to the kitchen!
- personal only after money!! check your final bill.... end sum is corrected by hand...!! (add up yourself!!)
pool - filthy!!
TOTALLY overpriced!
NEVER again!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank itzibitzi
Reviewed February 17, 2009

I’m trying to give an “In a Nutshell” Review

My Expectations:
I asked for very good/ higher end accommodation. I am rather particular about quality of rooms, bathrooms, surrounding area, ambience and service levels, especially since I am paying a premium price. I am not much of a “foodie” but I can be fussy about taste. Living in Asia, I’m also spoilt by the amazing accommodation, service levels and food that we have become accustomed to travelling around Asia.

No. of Nights 1 night
Room Good but its very dim and electricity only between 6- 11pm. So it gets hot at night.
Surrounding Area Simple & Very nice
Ambience quiet
Food Poor
Staff service OK, they try
Facilities swimming pool
Entertainment Poor
Location Terrible

It is trying to simulate “Maasai Living” but with luxuries. It is not a terrible place but the long drive there, the dim lights and the poor food put me off.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2009

E Unoto was a fabulous retreat near the end of our Tanzanian safari. Close to Arusha (a little over an hour) it was a great last night to end a fantastic safari in Tanzania.

Drive down very dusty roads, through a number of over grazed Maasai villages, until you reach the foot hills of the Rift Valley escarpment, and there sits E Unoto - a veritable oasis.

The land here was developed in 2000 and E Unoto was built incorporating traditional methods and using as many locally-sourced materials as possible. The roofs are all made from papyrus, which is found in the lake below the lodge. The lodge was built in conjunction with the local community, and provides health care, education and of course employment. The local community actually directly shares in the lodges profits - so a big green tick.

This accommodation is aptly called a retreat, as retreat it is; the bungalows designed in Maasai style and decorated with ethnic furnishings and carvings - all following a tasteful Maasai theme. Each bungalow has its own balcony offering panoramic views of Lake Miwaleni and the escarpment, and complete with a lovely shower area.

The pool and bar area provided us with much fun, but a planned Masaai dance evening ran late due to LEOPARDS in camp terrifying the participants!

As this was the end of our trip we gave our mosquito nets to some of the local families and urge any of you to spend a few dollars and bring extra nets to Tanzania so you too can make a difference to the appalling Malaria stats.

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank kkbelle
Reviewed June 25, 2008

We spent one night in this remote, but very well equipped resort. This is supposedly the only Maasai luxury resort in Tanzania! The staff was very attentive, and someone is assigned to you upon arrival to assure that you are carried for well. Our lady got us snacks, served our meals, etc. Beautiful large room with a great shower, nice bed and wonderful views. The views are so gorgeous! We were very pleased with our stay. Only negative is that you feel "pressured" to purchase items from several local Maasai women who set up shop on premises.

I always marvel at how these places get their supplies delivered. Land cruisers manage to navigate the "roads" but however supplies get in, I don't know!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fencejumper
Reviewed April 22, 2008

We have been to E Unoto Retreat in February, during our safari in Tanzania. All I can say is that it is a brethtaking place, with absolutely wonderful wiev, really - really nice staff, nice service and beautiful surounding. ( Advice : don't panic from the monkeys - they are really loud in the forrest during the night - )

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Honey1980_18
Reviewed April 15, 2008

I have been meaning to write about my recent trip to E Unoto Retreat in Tanzania. It was a very special safari for my mother who had terminal cancer and was wheel chair bound. Having previously visited E Unoto I knew that I could trust the staff and facilities to ensure that my mother's wish to safari in Tanzania went smoothly.

On November 12th, 2007, four of us set off from Arusha for the beautiful lodge situated close to Lake Manyara. It's a magical place with a spectacular view over Lake Miwaleni fringed by reeds and dome palms, banana trees galore with rice paddy fields and giant baobab trees beyond. Towering above, the great escarpment is lined with deep crevices and secret waterfalls.

The gorgeous room had a spectacular view so my mother did not have to move far from her verandah, but it was easy for her to get down to the pool and open planned restaurant by wheel chair with the help of someone pushing. Being a wheelchair friendly lodge made it all possible and the staff and management treated my mother like royalty.

We went for 3 nights, 4 days and we arrived at E UNoto 3 hours after leaving Arusha town and from the word GO my mother fell in love with her room and its stunning view. The next day started with tea and coffee on her verandah, bird watching and screening the escarpment through binoculars. Special moments included sunset at the pool with ice cold drinks served by staff with smiling faces. My mother said she never wanted to leave and luckily I managed to extend our stay for a further night.

The menu offered a number of choices for lunch and dinner and the most extensive breakfast menu I have ever seen. Pascal, our Maasai waiter who also acted as our room butler was fantastic. He seemed to anticipate our needs and nothing was too difficult or trouble for him or his associates to arrange.

Activities such as hiking to a stunning waterfall, cycling, walking and visiting a nearby Maasai village gave my restless self lots to do, whilst the lovely pool and bar area is a great place for anyone who just wants to soak up Africa over a cold drink and sun.

All in all this lodge makes a great retreat and stopover for those continuing on to Ngorongoro or the Serengeti. For me it was a blessing. Just far enough from Arusha to be a real adventure ~ in a special place at the foot of the Gregory Escarpment.

My mother asked me to thank the lodge staff on her behalf for such a luxurious and magical stay. I'll be back for sure.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank photowizard