Escarpment Luxury Lodge
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Had a wonderful time with my family, very luxurious, you appreciate the wonderful grounds and experience especially if you go to a tent afterwards. We missed this place the rest of our trip. The rooms are wonderful, the shower, and bath tub and outdoor shower is very cool. The beds so comfortable, the food was great (would say they need to learn how to cook pasta a little better, say use, garlic and butter, and not so over cooked), coffee was great, and french press to the room was a pleasure. The Masai guard taking us to our room and back was wonderful too.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank IndiaOC

Reviewed July 6, 2012

Spent two nights at the Escarpment Luxury Lodge as part of a safari with Masai Wanderings. Only a small number of rooms were open because of renovations, so we practically had the entire hotel to ourselves.

The rooms and common areas are absolutely beautiful and the staff terrific. Having a Masai stand guard against animals every night was neat. My entire family, including kids ages 12 and 15, wants to return to the Escarpment.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Just returned from photo safari to Tanzania.
I had great luck to be able to spend 1 night at this magnificant lodge.
Ideally situated on a hill overlooking both Lake Manyara and the surrounding rain forest.
You will really feel "Out of Africa" as you relax in the enormous bathtub, which is raised on wood blocks to enable a bath time view of the lake and surroundings.
Or take an outdoor shower under the African sky, all in your own wood enclosure.
The concept and decor is truly outstanding, African woods, carvings, leather, original African art work.
Needles to say, the food is also outstanding, the chef a master.
So do yourself a favor - do not miss out on visiting Edwin at Escarpments as part of your safari experience.

Room Tip: take any one!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank harvey_sapir
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I've stayed in a lot of hotels in Tanzania but not one measures up to the standard we got at Escarpment. I repeat, no one!! From Dar to Zanzibar to Arusha to Mwanza, I haven't come across a hotel with such a personal feel to it, and with so much attention paid to detail. We never in our wildest dreams thought we would get such service in that part of Tanzania.

I went with a friend to Lake Manyara and we decided to try the hotel, albeit small reviews on Trip Advisor. When we arrived, we were welcomed with warm towels and cups of juice, and ushered into this tastefully finished luxurious haven in the middle of nowhere. We were given a personal butler - who was just fabulous may i say - and giving a tour of the property which was just lovely. Everything about this hotel was just beautiful. When we got to our chalet, i was even more blown away by its sheer beauty, the attention to detail and the spectacular view. We expected the room to be nice off course but i definitely didn't expect to get an indoor shower, a standalone bath tub and an outdoor shower, or the type of bed fit for two kings. The rooms were also immaculate.

The bar was open to us when we arrived, which had an array of drinks. The had very comfortable long leather seats next to the bar that just made you feel like a royal. After having drinks for about an hour, we had a chat with the very sweet and knowledgeable Manager, Edwin, who also gave us free drinks on the house. When dinner was served, we were offered the option of having it in the restaurant, on the veranda or next to the camp fire. What topped it all up was that the chef insisted we try everything on the menu. I resisted initially because i didn't want to seem like a glutton but at the end of the day, had myself moving from plate to plate. I literally had to beg them to stop bringing food. As if that was not enough, before heading back to our room, our butler had asked if he should prepare a warm bubble bath for us; off-course we said yes. By the time we got to our room, the bath-tub was just the right temperature and adorned with nice candles.

To be honest, I can keep going on and on about this hotel. I have such a soft spot for it, you'll think i have shares in the business (I truly wish i did). My advice for anyone reading this is: Don't waste your time and money on other hotels - Serena et al - in the area, you WILL NEVER get the kind of service Escarpment offers, and if you do, it'll cost you an arm and a leg. Four hours after i left Escarpment, there was already a feeling of Nostalgia and regret that i didn't stay longer. I also felt like i had ripped the hotel off for all the free food and wonderful service.

I'll definitely be visiting again, and this time with my whole family

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jobe101
Reviewed April 25, 2012

It's so rare that I come across a place so over-the-top wonderful, that it makes me smile just thinking back on it. I went with my family over April break and spent 3 nights. We were warmly greeted on arrival with cold towels and fruit juice and shown around the spectacular lodge. Having seen many of the lodges in the area, I can report this one is off-the-hook gorgeous. Sumptuous linens and decor in the common living room and restaurant. Plenty of room to hang on the deck and then: the rooms. They're among the best we've ever seen. Fantastic linens, enormous bathroom, high ceilings - glass all the way around and a superb outdoor shower. They're really villas with small verandas. We thought - well, we can't be wrong with such a beautiful place. Then came first class service overseen by Edwin, a well-known hotel manager in the region from Rwanda, who ensured with Adolph and his crew that our treatment was impeccable. What more? One evening fantastic acrobatic dancers and fire throwers. Every evening a camp fire with popcorn. And a spectacular pool overlooking Lake Manyara. Food was very good, we're food snobs so we thought that it could be a good deal better but overall, it was fine. A couple of final thoughts: we had them organize our transport for the 3 days which was quite reasonable. The lodge is great for Manyara but good for Ngorongoro as well. The pool area still needs a bit of work: umbrellas by the chairs would be a nice upgrade; safer railings all the way around and a more common-sensical walkway system. Otherwise: flawless.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jayinkigali
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I was introduced to the lodge through Violet, a friend and travel agent . I visited the lodge during the easter holidays and all i can say is, what a memorable experience it

From the airport pickup by Lucas to the welcome reception by Edwin and his staff to the services of my personal bulter, Tumani, it was living in the lap of luxury. The food was both innovative and delicious. Suffice to say I now need to do more to shed a few of the pounds I gained.

I stayed in both the family room and chalet and the decor in both was simple, elegant, tassteful and luxutious. The view from the chalet was breath taking especially from the balcony in the evening when the sun was setting. The cultural entertainment around the bonfire was a nice touch.

Thank you Edwin and the rest of the Escarpment family for making my holiday one to remember. Asante sana!

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Tumwe
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Words cannot describe how amazing this lodge is. From the moment we arrived to the time we left we were treated like royalty by the wonderful, charming staff.

The lodge itself is gorgeous and all of the rooms are uniquely decorated in an elegant, yet authentic boutique style. Views from the main areas, the pool and the chalets are stunning and every effort is made to make the most of them - sunset cocktails by an open fire, dining tables that can be arranged on the restaurant veranda, outside showers in the chalets and the most scenic bar in Africa! We had expected the rooms to be nice, but nothing prepared us for how luxurious they were and considering we were on a full board basis we felt that it represented amazing value for money, especially compared to the alternatives.

The chef here was exceptional and all food is cooked fresh (no buffets!) and with love. He came out before every meal to enthusiastically explain the menu (a great personal touch) and we enjoyed 3 to 5 course meals daily, plus a special Mongolian grill night, put on especially for us. The food was outstanding, and although we complained about eating too much, another meal would come and we would get stuck in as it was all so good! So much effort went into it all, even though we were the only guests staying at the time.

The staff were so charming - Edwin was an amazing host and his team of staff (including butlers Adolf and Magdalena) were such lovely presences around the lodge. They kept our cocktails coming and we even taught them some new ones! We were a group of 7 girls who had just completed a climb of Kilimanjaro and felt this was the most amazing way to relax post-climb. We enjoyed some great safaris too organised by the lodge and saw everything we were hoping to in just two days. On the first day safari we had a packed breakfast in the Ngorongoro Crater beside the hippo pool and it was incredible!

I had searched high and low for a great safari lodge online and this one totally exceeded all expectations. If you're looking for something personal, where the finest of details are taken care of and where you will feel valued, this is the place to come. We'll be back!

Room Tip: All rooms are gorgeous. Room 7 is perhaps the most private.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank emmabella
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake Manyara National Park
24 mi away
andBeyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge
andBeyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodg...
#1 of 2 in Ngorongoro Conservation Area
#1 of 36 in Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Burudika Lodges
Burudika Lodges
#2 of 15 in Mto wa Mbu

Been to Escarpment Luxury Lodge? Share your experiences!