“The best hotel I've come across in a while.......” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Escarpment Luxury Lodge

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Escarpment Luxury Lodge
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“The best hotel I've come across in a while.......”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

I've stayed in a lot of hotels in Tanzania but not one measures up to the standard we got at Escarpment. I repeat, no one!! From Dar to Zanzibar to Arusha to Mwanza, I haven't come across a hotel with such a personal feel to it, and with so much attention paid to detail. We never in our wildest dreams thought we would get such service in that part of Tanzania.

I went with a friend to Lake Manyara and we decided to try the hotel, albeit small reviews on Trip Advisor. When we arrived, we were welcomed with warm towels and cups of juice, and ushered into this tastefully finished luxurious haven in the middle of nowhere. We were given a personal butler - who was just fabulous may i say - and giving a tour of the property which was just lovely. Everything about this hotel was just beautiful. When we got to our chalet, i was even more blown away by its sheer beauty, the attention to detail and the spectacular view. We expected the room to be nice off course but i definitely didn't expect to get an indoor shower, a standalone bath tub and an outdoor shower, or the type of bed fit for two kings. The rooms were also immaculate.

The bar was open to us when we arrived, which had an array of drinks. The had very comfortable long leather seats next to the bar that just made you feel like a royal. After having drinks for about an hour, we had a chat with the very sweet and knowledgeable Manager, Edwin, who also gave us free drinks on the house. When dinner was served, we were offered the option of having it in the restaurant, on the veranda or next to the camp fire. What topped it all up was that the chef insisted we try everything on the menu. I resisted initially because i didn't want to seem like a glutton but at the end of the day, had myself moving from plate to plate. I literally had to beg them to stop bringing food. As if that was not enough, before heading back to our room, our butler had asked if he should prepare a warm bubble bath for us; off-course we said yes. By the time we got to our room, the bath-tub was just the right temperature and adorned with nice candles.

To be honest, I can keep going on and on about this hotel. I have such a soft spot for it, you'll think i have shares in the business (I truly wish i did). My advice for anyone reading this is: Don't waste your time and money on other hotels - Serena et al - in the area, you WILL NEVER get the kind of service Escarpment offers, and if you do, it'll cost you an arm and a leg. Four hours after i left Escarpment, there was already a feeling of Nostalgia and regret that i didn't stay longer. I also felt like i had ripped the hotel off for all the free food and wonderful service.

I'll definitely be visiting again, and this time with my whole family

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Jobe101

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Kigali Rwanda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

It's so rare that I come across a place so over-the-top wonderful, that it makes me smile just thinking back on it. I went with my family over April break and spent 3 nights. We were warmly greeted on arrival with cold towels and fruit juice and shown around the spectacular lodge. Having seen many of the lodges in the area, I can report this one is off-the-hook gorgeous. Sumptuous linens and decor in the common living room and restaurant. Plenty of room to hang on the deck and then: the rooms. They're among the best we've ever seen. Fantastic linens, enormous bathroom, high ceilings - glass all the way around and a superb outdoor shower. They're really villas with small verandas. We thought - well, we can't be wrong with such a beautiful place. Then came first class service overseen by Edwin, a well-known hotel manager in the region from Rwanda, who ensured with Adolph and his crew that our treatment was impeccable. What more? One evening fantastic acrobatic dancers and fire throwers. Every evening a camp fire with popcorn. And a spectacular pool overlooking Lake Manyara. Food was very good, we're food snobs so we thought that it could be a good deal better but overall, it was fine. A couple of final thoughts: we had them organize our transport for the 3 days which was quite reasonable. The lodge is great for Manyara but good for Ngorongoro as well. The pool area still needs a bit of work: umbrellas by the chairs would be a nice upgrade; safer railings all the way around and a more common-sensical walkway system. Otherwise: flawless.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jayinkigali
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

I was introduced to the lodge through Violet, a friend and travel agent . I visited the lodge during the easter holidays and all i can say is, what a memorable experience it

From the airport pickup by Lucas to the welcome reception by Edwin and his staff to the services of my personal bulter, Tumani, it was living in the lap of luxury. The food was both innovative and delicious. Suffice to say I now need to do more to shed a few of the pounds I gained.

I stayed in both the family room and chalet and the decor in both was simple, elegant, tassteful and luxutious. The view from the chalet was breath taking especially from the balcony in the evening when the sun was setting. The cultural entertainment around the bonfire was a nice touch.

Thank you Edwin and the rest of the Escarpment family for making my holiday one to remember. Asante sana!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Tumwe
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

Words cannot describe how amazing this lodge is. From the moment we arrived to the time we left we were treated like royalty by the wonderful, charming staff.

The lodge itself is gorgeous and all of the rooms are uniquely decorated in an elegant, yet authentic boutique style. Views from the main areas, the pool and the chalets are stunning and every effort is made to make the most of them - sunset cocktails by an open fire, dining tables that can be arranged on the restaurant veranda, outside showers in the chalets and the most scenic bar in Africa! We had expected the rooms to be nice, but nothing prepared us for how luxurious they were and considering we were on a full board basis we felt that it represented amazing value for money, especially compared to the alternatives.

The chef here was exceptional and all food is cooked fresh (no buffets!) and with love. He came out before every meal to enthusiastically explain the menu (a great personal touch) and we enjoyed 3 to 5 course meals daily, plus a special Mongolian grill night, put on especially for us. The food was outstanding, and although we complained about eating too much, another meal would come and we would get stuck in as it was all so good! So much effort went into it all, even though we were the only guests staying at the time.

The staff were so charming - Edwin was an amazing host and his team of staff (including butlers Adolf and Magdalena) were such lovely presences around the lodge. They kept our cocktails coming and we even taught them some new ones! We were a group of 7 girls who had just completed a climb of Kilimanjaro and felt this was the most amazing way to relax post-climb. We enjoyed some great safaris too organised by the lodge and saw everything we were hoping to in just two days. On the first day safari we had a packed breakfast in the Ngorongoro Crater beside the hippo pool and it was incredible!

I had searched high and low for a great safari lodge online and this one totally exceeded all expectations. If you're looking for something personal, where the finest of details are taken care of and where you will feel valued, this is the place to come. We'll be back!

Room Tip: All rooms are gorgeous. Room 7 is perhaps the most private.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank emmabella
Whistler, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

This was unexpected, we were booked at the Serena lake Manyara for one night in early October 2011 and our driver found out that it was overbooked, so his boss put us in at the escarpment luxury lodge.I did all my research prior to our 12 day safari and I knew every place we were going to stay. I did not know anything about this lodge, what a nice suprise, I have no problem getting bumped to this anytime.

The main lodge was very nice and cosy, to our suprised we were the only guest at the lodge that night, we got there mid afternoon and we were pretty hungry, I asked if it would be possible to get a little something like a sandwich to last until diner. Well! they said can you wait a little and wil make something up for you. So we had a drink and went to our wonderfull room indoor and outdoor shower, big free standing tub robes ect...

Our butler (lovely Magdelaina) came to get us for lunch. They made up all the tables (full setting) just for us. Our little lunch turned out to be soup, full pork chops, veggies desert (way too much)

For diner they re-setted the entire dining room for diner setting with our own chandelier, and the food was also excellent. They got the outside fire pit going prior to Diner and had a glass of wine waiting for diner. Did I mentioned we got engaged that morning in an hot air balloon over the serengeti, not a bad day!

Forgot to mention the infinity pool, lovely spot great view of lake Manyara and nice and relaxing, I could go on and on but if you have a chance go there you won't regret it.

Room Tip: all the rooms are great, you can't go wrong
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank scubamichman
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2012

Escarpment Lodge was absolutely gorgeous, we arrived 30 minutes before sunset and experienced an amazing sunset into the moutains. The staff greeted us with amazing warmth and hospitality. The property was amazing, with the best views of Lake Manyara you could imagine. Edwin the manager and Adolf our server, butler, and everything else were fantastic. It was New Years eve, and it happened to be that we were the only guests that night. You would never know it from the staff. The fires were lit, and the decorations were all up. Our room was magnificent. It was a freestanding building, and our room was probably 800 square feet. A private balcony overlooking Lake Manyara, and outdoor and indoor shower, and a bubble bath that had been drawn right before our room arrival, it was the best room. We quickly enjoyed our Champagne and fruit that Adolf prepared, cleaned up, then hung out by the fire pit. There we were entertained by a singer that had been hired for the evening, and enjoyed the beautiful surroundings and company. We sat there and enjoyed African Dawas (honey, lemon, and vodka). We had a gourmet 5 course dinner, which was again one of the best meals you could imagine on the deck. The chef was second to none, and we had a fantastic time dining and talking to everyone. On the dining table were New Years Eve Party favors to utilize at midnight. After dinner the staff launched fireworks, brought out champagne for a toast and made this the most memorable New Years celebration. Upon arriving back in our room, Adolf had put a Happy New Years card on our bed. It was so thoughtful.

The next morning we went on a nature walk with Adolf and our Maasai guard, enjoyed the beautiful infinity swimming pool, and had a made to order breakfast. After breakfast we were surprised with an anniversary cake, and singing. The staff presented us with a gift on our way out. Again we were brought to tears by the amazing staff and hospitality we were shown. We would love to visit this lodge again. They are extremely thoughtful and go the extra mile in many small ways. Edwin does a fanatastic job and the staff adores him.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kedcali
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

Stayed here for one night during a safari which took in Lake Manyara, Serengeti, Nogorongoro and Tarangire. It was definitely the most luxurious lodge. I took an oudside shower which felt fantastic. Food was very good, brilliantly presented, there was almost too much of it. Service was excellent.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge
Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge
#7 of 39 in Ngorongoro Conservation Area
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,471 reviews

Been to Escarpment Luxury Lodge? Share your experiences!