TripAdvisor
Search
Open today: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Surfing SA

Amazing trip thank you so much Ru and Tracey. They looked after me from start to finish (including... read more

Reviewed November 28, 2019
GeoffS1462
Auckland, New Zealand
via mobile
Trip of a lifetime - unforgettable experience

Hi, I had the absolute pleasure of spending about 10 days this summer with Ru and Tracey exploring... read more

Reviewed September 1, 2019
Joseph G

All reviews amazing breakfast his knowledge south africa wine tasting tracey ruan namibia braai introduction safari waves teaching waterfall huskies ocean
Selected filters
Reviewed April 7, 2019

Stayed with Stacey and Ru for 5 days in March 2019. It honestly was one of the best weeks of my life! Ru and Tracey are both great hosts, fun and caring people who immediately make you feel right at home (home that also comes with 3 big adorable dogs). It was my first time surfing (ever) and Ru made sure I got the most out of it, taking me to various spots around Kleinmond and Hermanus, teaching me the technicals but also how the sea and waves work. We also went on amazing hikes (Ru knows all the hidden gems in the area - the nearby landscapes are truly amazing), gin tasting, had braai, went to a big cat sanctuary, went to see penguins... it was the best introduction imaginable to South Africa and surfing... the only downside was having to leave!

Date of experience: March 2019
Reviewed February 16, 2019 via mobile

We (a family of four including two children aged 9 and 6) have just returned from a 15 day trip to Cape Town South Africa with South Surf Tours.

Our main reason for the trip was a 40th birthday celebration and so we really wanted something special with a chance to see and do new things. As such we spent a lot of time researching different destinations including California, Australia and Indonesia to name but a few hoping to make the right decision and have a very memorable holiday.

South Africa had also always been on our bucket list and South Africa Surf Tours fantastic website instantly appealed with their pictures of beautiful scenery and promise of uncrowded quality surf which ultimately proved too hard to resist. Fast, detailed and very friendly responses to our emails from Tracey really impressed us as she expertly put together a bespoke day by day itinerary from a very long and varied list of available activities ranging from staple Cape Town epics such as visits to Table Mountain, Robben Island, the V&A Waterfront, a safari and shark cave diving to more sedate wine tasting, picnics and down days at the local beaches.

South Africa Surf Tours large guesthouse accommodation in the heart of the quiet beach town of Kleinmond was fantastic both inside and out with very clean and tidy rooms and an excellent garden which saw multiple braiis (Ruan is an expert!!) and even the odd cricket match during our stay.

Surfing needed to play a large part of our trip and South Africa and South Africa Surf Tours both delivered on all fronts due to the numerous breaks and Ruan’s obvious love of the ocean and enthusiasm coupled with his knowledge of the local area and conditions. We surfed every day often alone in some of the best waves and at some of the most pristine beaches we have ever seen.

Ruan and Tracey went above and beyond, exceeding our expectations and ensuring we had the holiday we had wished for. Nothing was too much much trouble for them and they do genuinely seemed stoked to be showing people around a place that they so clearly love.

We cannot rate South Africa Surf Tours highly enough and are already planning to return.

James, Nicola, Joel and Rosie

Date of experience: January 2019
Reviewed December 19, 2018

I did a week surf tour as a solo traveler and honestly it was one of the best trips I've ever done in my life. It was my first time visiting South Africa and I couldn't have asked for a better introduction to South African waves and culture. Ru and Tracey are LEGENDS! Ru's local insight and knowledge of surf breaks across South Africa and Namibia is unrivaled. He knew which breaks would be working given the weather and swell conditions and he was spot on. We surfed some really fun waves, and when the waves weren't on, Ru and Tracey had a list of other awesome activities like waterfall hikes and cliff jumping in some of the most beautiful places. And Tracey's cooking is amazing! Every day they prepared delicious meals with fresh ingredients, and introduced me to some awesome traditional South African dishes. I'm honestly still stoked and cannot wait to bring some friends back to this gem. Ru and Tracey are the most gracious and accommodating hosts and I cannot recommend this tour enough. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to enjoy the beauty of South Africa, hang with some of the kindest and coolest people, and surf some fun waves. I had such a blast and cannot wait to do it again!

Date of experience: December 2018
Reviewed December 17, 2018

I stayed for 4 days with Tracey and Ruan (aka Ru or Ruf) and their 2 huskies and had an amazing time.

If you are looking for a highly personalized experience with true local guides, this is the place to be. Ru knows every corner in the wider area and can show you the best spots to surf and hike (there are plenty on offer).

Particularly appreciated were: the amazing breakfast, trail run at 7 am in the morning, fresh crayfish braai with Tracey and Ru's friends.

At the end of the trip, I got the impression that I have a second home in Kleinmond, South Africa.

Date of experience: December 2018
1  Thank PietPol1
Reviewed July 18, 2018

Everything about our stay was amazing. From the surf lodge we stayed in less than 100 yards to the ocean, to the delicious breakfasts we woke up to every morning, to the expertise of our hosts on everything South Africa, it was 100% better than I could have ever expected. Tracey and Ru made sure that everything was taken care of. Me and my friends were able to surf waves and conditions that we could only dream of, and to top it off, we had it all to ourselves! Without Ru's expert guidance, we wouldn't have even known where to find these waves! The week long trip consisted of amazing surf, delicious food, and experiences (such as a safari) that I will NEVER forget. If you are thinking about stepping out of your comfort zone and planning a surf trip in South Africa, there is no safer bet than South Africa Surf Tours. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. Thanks again Ru and Tracey, for the trip of a lifetime!

Date of experience: June 2018