“Stimulating week end in the mountains”

Cavern Drakensberg Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Bergville
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We have been going to the Cavern for many years, and as usual, when we checked in to the hotel, we found only improvements. The security at the only access gate to the hotel was firm but friendly. If you are not checking into the hotel as a guest, then i don't think you'll get on to the grounds at all. Great for the guests' piece of mind. We had the most interesting weekend with the guides and experts on fauna and flora - Sally and David Johnson - every time we met with them there was just so much to learn!
As usual the room was wonderful, clean and everything in the room worked!! The meals are superb, and dining room staff quiet and friendly. The walks were just great. Even if the Drakensberg was dry and thirsty - there is a special beauty that can only been seen in the Berg.
We'll definitely be back !!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ian T
There are newer reviews for Cavern Drakensberg Resort & Spa

Reviewed May 29, 2014

So nice going to a place that caters so well for our kids. Plenty for them to do in the resort and some great walks to take them on that don't go too far away from the resort. Kids supper time and child-minding during supper means that you can relax and enjoy your meal and still love your kids after it :) For adults, there are superb hikes with spectacular views. A great place to take the family.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I,ve visited Cavern since first I came to S.Africa. Our first hesitant holiday,the children were small.
Will never forget Mrs Carte that put fresh flowers all over. Her two sons Peter and Anthony,The family sitting at gheir table in the dining room. You were part of a family .in the evenings,all came togsther for drinks, one fridge where you kept yours...roaring fire in the fireplace. You were amongst friends.I remember the movie evenings and the dances.
The boys grew up, got engaged, married, the boys took over, the Cavern expanded, got bigger and more beautiful. but the friendly homely atmosphere remained.
The Cavern will forever be my no.1 destination !

Asked when last I was there, maybe two ,three years ago .? my review covers 50 years !

Room Tip: The,re all good, but the honeymoon rooms are super..
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We loved our 3 nights' stay at the Cavern but would recommend staying longer. The room we were in (I think it was #4) was right on the edge of a river flowing down the mountain, which lulled us to sleep every night. We hiked on 2 of the days and loved both of them. Our guide was very friendly! The "Cavern Crunchies" were delicious.

The food was good but tasted and looked a bit the same every day (lots of puff pastry dishes). Their wine cellar is well stocked and the grounds are beautifully maintained.

We had massages on two separate occasions and they were very good!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Our family visited the Cavern from the 17th-21st April 2014. We were a family of 2 grandparents, 2 adults and 2 children. Although my husband and I had been brought up in South Africa and had visited other resorts in the Drakensburg what puzzles us is why we only found the Cavern now! But thank goodness we have!
What a wonderful, welcoming, truly fabulous place. We just loved every minute of our time at the Cavern. The food was incredible and the owners and staff were too.
The view from the Cavern is spectacular and the hikes that are arranged are very well guided. There is something to do for everyone and my children(age 8 and 11) keep asking if we can go back soon. We swam, played tennis and hiked every day and then to top it all off there is also a beautiful spa. The accommodation was perfect for us as a family, with beautiful views.

We had a very memorable hike up into the mountains with the owners. They were just so friendly and relaxed. They also do so much for the local community and have started a school for the local children and also provide meals for the wider community children. What special, proactive people.

The whole holiday was just fantastic from start to end and we just can't wait to go back. The Cavern really is one of South Africa's best kept secrets!

Many Thanks for a wonderful holiday
Philippa Kennedy (UK)

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank PKennedy639
Reviewed May 4, 2014

This was not my first trip to The Cavern, but it has never disappointed and this holiday was no different. The one thing that stands out at the Cavern, is the FOOD! Oh my word, it is simply amazing...designer dishes for dinner, a sizeable buffet for lunch and a full breakfast every day! And let me not forget the cookies and coffee mid-morning and -afternoon. Besides the amazing food, one has so many activities to choose from, such as hiking (various distances and difficulties), horse riding, mountain biking, fishing, bird watching, relaxing at the amazing spa, having a drink in the cave bar, or even just relaxing on the deck with a book. The Cavern really caters for everyone...they even have nannies for hire and a lot of activities for kids. I have always and will always be a big fan of the Cavern and I hope to go back there really soon!

Room Tip: They have a range of rooms to suite every budget, but personally, I will not spend money on a superi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 26, 2014

The Cavern really should be a great place. Its setting, at the head of a secluded Drakensberg valley is stupendous. The walking around is undeniably fantastic.

Unfortunately, however, The Cavern (motto: "Having fun, feeling secure, valuing our family and community") is not great at all. It is, to my mind, a dismal, worn down, unwelcoming relic of a bygone era.

My young family stayed at The Cavern for five days this month. Our room was, um, small. It was also gloomy. The double bed was one of those small doubles which modern hotels don't really do any more. The sheets were at least partly polyester and came off every night. The room was accessed via a glum industrial-looking corridor (I'll try and include some pictures with this posting). Suffice to say, it wasn't a pleasant space.

Our bedroom was, however, connected to another room, containing a bunk bed for our two children. And the kids seemed happy enough, so, all these issues I could deal with.

What I found hardly to stomach, however, was the generally curmudgeonly attitude of the place. While it advertises itself as a family resort, I got the impression that children were actually as welcome as turds on a supper plate.

The resort is plastered with signs insisting that "Children are NOT allowed here" or "Children should NOT do this". I'll try and include some pictures with this post, by the most striking one. I thought, was the sign above the entrance to the so-called Quiet Lounge, which read "Positively NO Children or Dogs".

It is, I think, fair enough to have an area of the hotel that's reserved for adults, but why not have the sign saying "Adults Only"? Wouldn't that be a bit, um, nicer?

The nannies were, I have to confess, very professional. But they had nowhere near enough room to work. The fenced off children's play area contained a few good soft blocks to play with, but also some ancient old swings and a climbing frame that looked as though it had been around for 50 years or so.

All this, plus the fact that most of the buildings are that gloomy 1950s English municipal style that I remember from my rainy schooldays meant the place just felt sad. Especially when it rained. Listen to some music by Morrissey or The Smiths and you'll get the picture.

When the weather turned I realised that, aside from the antique swing, the play blocks and the inevitable large television showing the inevitable episode of Toy Story 2, there wasn't an awful lot for the children to actually do.

Then there was the race thing.

I get that, in South Africa, most serving staff are likely to be black while their bosses are likely to be white. And I don't doubt that the family owners of The Cavern are committed to the integrative ideals of the new South Africa.

But there was something about the place that made me think "this is must have been like it was in South Africa's bad old days"

The place didn't feel "African" at all. The only concession to local Zulu culture, it seemed to me, was the clearly-not-at-all-impromptu song and dance routine performed at 8.30pm sharp every night by the black staff who had waited on us at supper.

Their singing was lovely. And they appeared to be enjoying themselves. But it was so obviously contrived (one minute they are pouring out your gravy; the next they're singing in perfect harmony) and so completely out of context with the English feel of the place, that it made me feel a little uncomfortable.

My concerns about race were exacerbated when I went into the rather nice wine cellar and looked closely at the hotel's small collection of war memorabilia. There, among the Allied service medals and the SA army berets were, I saw, three Nazi medals.

Why? I guess they belonged to some relative of the owner who picked them up while fighting the Germans in Europe (there was no note explaining the reason for them). But still! The Nazis did some very unpleasant things! Should these medals really be on proud display?

Some good points. The food was good and plentiful. The walking wonderful. The staff generally happy to help.

We did, in the end, have a nice time at The Cavern, but I think that was despite, rather than because, of the place.

Message to the owners: you may be busy with customers now, but I don't think that will last, unless you change. There is, in my view, great potential here but I think you need to invest a lot of money and bring your hotel into the 21st Century.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank nopolony
hiltondavid, Owner at Cavern Drakensberg Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2014

Dear Mr NoPolony

Wow!! What a shattering review. It has taken a few days to digest and a good hike in the mountains to try and understand your comments.

I suppose it is always important to look at these Trip Advisor reviews within the context of all the other hugely positive feedback we receive – both on Trip Advisor and our internal guest returns. Since this is so far off the norm the initial thought was not to respond at all but you seem to gloss the surface, you pass quick, inaccurate judgement and not responding may make others think that your remarks are correct and quite true.

Your room did not have a double bed, it has a queen size double bed - an acceptable standard in any hotel. Your room was not small - it consisted of two inter-leading rooms with two bathrooms - more than enough space for your family of 2 adults and 2 small children and is well above the ‘standard’ for the tourism industry. The sheets are 100% cotton.
The room has recently been upgraded with new furniture and cheerful scatters. We promise comfortable standard family accommodation, nothing luxurious, flashy or pretentious.

Very importantly, we do love children. We have three young children of our own.

We have always welcomed them. The sign, ‘NO CHILDREN unaccompanied by an adult’, was put up on the swimming pool gate following a near drowning of a 12 year old child some time ago. It’s actually a legal requirement and found at all hotel pools.

We do care. Your words - I got the impression that children were actually as welcome as turds on a supper plate - really does make me wonder? You reluctantly say that the playroom ladies were professional and that your children enjoyed their stay. And the climbing frame is old – but well maintained – my kids love it. You failed to mention the huge jungle gym, tractor, trampolines that are also available in the gardens. Also the pony rides, walks, nannies for hire, dams and canoes, fishing, organised children’s afternoon activities, free nanny supervisors during all your adult meals in the diningroom, mountain bike trails, guided trekking etc. etc. You seem very selective in your criticisms.

We are a hotel with a history, a story, made up of many parts. ‘Positively no children or dogs’, is right next to ‘Friends Welcome, Family by Appointment Only’ high up above the door. Tongue-in- cheek? And, I don't suppose you noticed Daisy-Dog having her afternoon nap on the green chair in the Quiet Lounge?

Strange that you don't include other signs. ‘Playroom Rules: Laugh. Be Silly. Use Your Imagination. Make Music’... or... ‘Dear Parents, Please watch your children while they play...’

You then spend the next six paragraphs on your racist, ill informed, judgemental rant.

“The place didn’t feel ‘African’ at all.” – that is the most bigoted, racist sentence written in a long time. Please explain to me what ‘African’ is? And what do you mean by “concession to local Zulu culture”?

Most shocking is your comment about the singing in the dining room. Guests request birthday cakes. On these evenings, and not EVERY night, the staff congregate and sing. No-one does it against their free will and yes, they do enjoy it or else they would not do it. The choir even have a CD on sale in the shop. A pity you felt uncomfortable whilst everyone else was delighted.

The Wine Cellar was developed last year. We had been given a large collection of war memorabilia which has been displayed in this space inside a hand crafted table. Included were a few small Nazi medals. Our feeling is that historical relics should be displayed and spoken about. Pretending they didn't happen, hiding from our past is not what this country is about. The last thing we should do is forget the atrocities of our nation and others before.

Each and every day we are grateful for the business we have, thankful to those families that return time and time again, and appreciative that we are able to employ over 100 people from our local community. There is always work to do and there is always room for improvement but we know that we cannot be everyone's choice destination.

Yours,

Hilton and Megan Bedingham and all of the staff at The Cavern

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bergville
Mont Aux Sources Hotel
#3 of 13 in Bergville
Berghouse and Cottages
Berghouse and Cottages
#2 of 13 in Bergville

Been to Cavern Drakensberg Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!