Despite its great potential in terms of location and as a historically significant site, Easby was a huge disappointment.
It didn't seem as if our hosts were prepared or interested in our stay.
- Our arrival seemed to have disturbed our hosts' evening and there was no sense of warmth, welcome or greeting,
- The balcony to our room was scattered with upturned dusty furniture,
- The hosts private room was across the corridor from ours with a tv blaring music throughout the house, with their door wide open,
- The floors and furniture throughout the house were covered in dust
- To get to the dining area we had to walk through a reception area where the host was lounging on his chair watching tv
- The dining area was cramped full of unused upturned furniture
- The breakfast was unsatisfactory
A final point was the presence of the old South African and old Transvaal flag in pride of place in the bar without any reference to a democratic South Africa. Had there been a complete series of flags of SA's history it would have been consistent with Easby's historical relevance. But without that, most people find the old flag offensive and not something to be heralded.