“World class comfort and hospitality”
Review of Bingelela Lodge

Bingelela Lodge
Ranked #5 of 14 Bergville B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Ive been in many countries all over the world during my lifetime and really have to say this humble fascinating lodge really competes with ease against the worlds best and gives a warm island feeling in between the drakensburg.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Dawiebez
bingelela Lodge b, Receptionist at Bingelela Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

It was a pleasure hosting you at Bingelela and thank you for your positive comments,
It is much appreciated by all staff.
Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

We had a last minute stopover in May and were given what I would describe as the worst accommodation I have stayed in for a traveller. We were given a rondavel that upon first opening the door gave off the foulest odour I have ever smelt. we discovered the plug hole in the shower is higher than the rest of the floor so the dirty water does not run out but lies there until it is mopped giving the place a dank odour. The small lounge has a tv and fireplace but no wood and the brochure states clearly if you want a fire you need to "basically get back into your car and travel into Bergville and buy wood as they do not supply.
There was no milk with the coffee and tea in the room and no hairdryer for a traveller. The place is so basic the curtain rails were skew. Curtains completely see through. If you closed the one in the toilet it was so long that it hung in the toilet. There was a very primitive rickety staircase up to a mezzanine level with a bed. If you were a tall person you would need to stoop.
No thought has been put into the accommodation. It was freezing cold and we wanted to go and sit in the bar and have a warm drink next to the fire but hey! Guess what patrons were merrily smoking in there AGAINST THE NO SMOKING LAWS so we sat in the cold on the open veranda next to the pool until it started to rain and the smokers had started to leave. The only good thing was the food.
Sorry guys we will definitely not be back. Did contact owners but have had no feedback. Not important to them I suppose one traveller's opinion doesn’t make a difference.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Cindi A
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I was in the area on business and was booked into the Bingelela Lodge, was met by the owner Joss who kindly showed me the bungalow. Not expecting much, I was pleasantly suprised by the bungalow with a great shower, relaxing couch (with a nice TV!) and a comfortable bed on the mezzanine level. Just what's needed after a long day!

I also made use of the restaurant that evening and the menu was bold and had difficulties in choosing what to try. The decision was made (after recommendations) by the manageress and the food was amazing. The helpfulness of the staff is also exemplary and they were always happy to help.

I even got a puncture, but not a problem, the local staff were there and ready to assist me on my way.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
bingelela Lodge b, Manager at Bingelela Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Thank you for your kind and pleasant words,
It was a pleasure hosting for you and your mutual respect towards members of the kitchen staff,floor staff and Management we very much appreciated.
We are glad to hear that you rested well and hope to see you in the near future again.
Once again, THANK YOU !!!

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Me and my wife like to break away on weekends and travel with our motorcycle and spent a night or two some nice place. Two years ago i discoverd bingelela and wow what a nice place it was!!! The people are friendly and the food is heavenly!!! We decided on our last trip to take along some friends{ 4 couples} and what a lovely time we have. Bingelela caters for everyone!
WOW WHAT A LOVELY PLACE THIS IS CAN RECOMEND IT HIGHLY!!!!!!

Room Tip: Room 10 have a spa bath
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
bingelela Lodge b, Public Relations Manager at Bingelela Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you kindly , we do appreciate your comments and looking forward to your next visit

Reviewed September 26, 2012

I had to spend 6 nights in Bergville on business. A colleague of mine who had stayed at Bingelela twice before recommended me in this direction. He raved about the menu. Upon my arrival I was treated like I was their only guest, and received this same treatment for the duration of my stay (trust me I wasn't the only guest). I stayed very comfortably in one of several thatched cottages built within a Bluegum Tree grove. The seclusion I sought was wonderful, and I went for an early morning run on the farmroads in the maize fields. The food was totally amazing and one would have to stay at Bingelela for a very long time to become used to or even bored with the menu. I had Bingelela garlic snails as a starter almost every night and enjoyed their excellent steaks, curries, pizzas and salads.

I would relish the opportunity to return here anytime.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

This was referred by the place we had stayed in ladysmith last week.We went there for lunch ,had pasta. Good food. Just that we were rushed to place our orders by the waitress. My husband had ordered Tunasian Chicken.nice and spicy they had good selection of cocktails .

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed in the area, not at the lodge, but heard positive comments from several sources in the area on the food quality at this restaurant. We were here on a rainy day and decided to arrive early to spend some time at the bar before the dinner. The restaurant and bar wrap around the swimming pool in the center, both were quite cozy considering the weather, with a rustic long bar and the restaurant warmed by a fireplace stoked with big logs.

We started our dinner with 2 appetizers: an excellent olive packet with olives, sun-dried tomatoes and feta in a phyllo wrap and a good smoked trout with avocado and salad. For the main courses, we selected the Tunisian half peri chicken with basmati rice and a fillet steak with pepper sauce, both were done to our entire satisfaction.

Highly recommended for the area.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bergville
Mont Aux Sources Hotel
#1 of 1 in Jagersrust
Dragon Peaks Mountain Resort
Dragon Peaks Mountain Resort
#1 of 6 in Cathkin Park

Been to Bingelela Lodge? Share your experiences!