Mercure Suites Bedfordview
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$112
Towers Lodge(Germiston)
TripAdvisor
StayEasy Eastgate(Johannesburg)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsacross the roadeastgate mallnice hotelroom was largeunlimited wifistar hotelfront desk staffenjoyable stayhome away from homeapartmentkitchenettejohannesburghousekeepingproximityrevamptub
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I recently stayed at the Mercure for 2 nights with my family. We noticed the AC, while working, was not cooling the room. Upon further inspection it was blowing cool air out the front as it should but also blowing hot air out of the bottom. After having issues reaching the front desk via telephone for over an hour I finally got through and reported the problem and was told someone would come look at it. After an hour I called again and was told the same thing. After another hour I went down to the front desk myself and finally had the manager and a maintenance person come back to the room with me.

I am not sure where the maintenance staff learns about AC's but he said this was normal. The manager seemed to understand the problem and why it shouldn't be blowing warm air in the room but it was like arguing with a wall when discussing the problem with the maintenance staff. They finally offered to change our room however by that time (thanks to their delays in showing up) I had a child already asleep and I would have to deal with the heat until the next day.

The next morning we got a new room but were offered no assistance in moving the luggage. Upon inspection of the bathroom in the new room we found one of those "Clean and sanitized" banners around the toilet but there was a big and very visible pee stain directly on the toilet seat. I am not sure how someone could have missed it and put on the sign suggesting it was clean.

The pool was also the size of a bathtub.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed here on business with a colleague in October; the contact we were visiting had tried to get us into one of the more upmarket hotels near the airport, but they were all fully booked, so we were booked into the Mercure Suites instead.

On arrival, checkin was reasonably efficient, and we were given suites in the 800 block. The first thing to say is that you get some real space for your money here; I had a kitchen, lounge/diner, bathroom and two double bedrooms to play in!

The furniture was all of reasonable quality, nothing spectacular but everything worked. The dining table, chairs and sofa in the main lounge area were all good; bathroom was basic but functional, and the bed was comfortable.

The bar is spacious and well stocked. Breakfast was decent, with a fair choice.

East Gate Mall is directly opposite the hotel, although it is not immediately clear how to get into the Mall! If you do find your way inside, there is a food court with a fair choice of restaurants and bars for the evening.

So, not the Intercontinental, but a lot cheaper and perfectly comfortable. Don't think I'd be tempted to use the outside pool, though...a little too small for my liking!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank soulsease
Reviewed September 24, 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2012

The most important aspect of this htel is location just opposite east gate mall. The room I got was a studio apartment while my freind got just a single room...same rate. To get the best rate one has to book thru net in advance. We got more than 20% discount.
the rooms are quite clean but not much of amenities.
The break fast spread was good.
The staff are just indifferent.
But one could walk to east gate mall even in night for dinner with out the usual Joberg fear... that is the best part of the whole deal

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business