“My overnight experienceat Town Lodge Airport”

Town Lodge Airport Johannesburg
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Germiston
Toamasina (Tamatave), Madagascar
“My overnight experienceat Town Lodge Airport”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

When I checked in on the evening of 27/10/2013 I was told I could not pay in USD, so I paid with the only Rands I had left. I waited for what seemed an eternity to be checked in, and to pay the waiting cab driver with the change. Once I got to my room (240), the lady at reception called and asked for my passport, and then came up to collect it. When I asked her about dinner she told me the dining was closing at 10PM (in 15 minutes) and therefore I was too late, and that every other place in the area was closed except for Mcdonalds. However since I did not have transport, I passed. A few minutes later I asked reception for a laptop charger, but they did not have one. I then tried to call my family in Madagascar to let them know where I was, but I could not go through. Reception advised me to try a local number, and when I told the gentleman I could not get through either, he advised me to try a minute later. When I later tried, the local call went through, and the receptionist said he had authorised calls from room 240. However international calls kept giving me a long silence, then a local-sounding ringtone, and then a recorded message which did not make any sense to me, and ended with the repeated number 628126747436.

After several attempts, I requested if I could call from reception but they said sorry, I could not. Eventually I gave up and went to bed without having dinner, and having failed to call my family. So much for the form about the right kind of kind "going that bit further" in the room!

In the morning I offered to pay for my breakfast with USD, and as soon as the lady from the previous evening said I could not, her colleague said I could. So I paid with USD50, but not before It was photocopied against my details. I then left on the airport shuttle.

Room Tip: You'll be spoilt for choice between "smoking" and "no smoking rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Town Lodge Airport Johannesburg, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for staying with us - sorry about the difficulties you experienced, we will look into this on your behalf.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Nelspruit, South Africa
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I find the combination of quality accommodation without frills and an excellent breakfast is hard to beat. Other places may have fancier rooms but may not have as many options for breakfast. The staff are efficient and welcoming and the rooms are well maintained with everything working. My only disappointment was that the restaurant that was next door has closed so if you don't have transport you may have to order take-aways for supper.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Town Lodge Airport Johannesburg, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thanks for your for your comments - hope to see you again soon.
Witbank, South Africa
Reviewed April 15, 2013

i was in jhb for business purpose and i check in at Town Lodge and the staff was friendly and welcoming.The hotelis in the centre of everything and what i like about most is that is within the walking distance from where i was attending.The rooms are clean and good for business with air conditions but not good for family vacation cos u have only the shower and no baths.Rooms layout is compact but neat not as good as their sister hotel City lodge.Breakfast was excellent but no dinner only Mr deliver does the service of which i feel its not fair because the overcharging with late deliveries.The hotel has a safe parking

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Angus M, Public Relations Manager at Town Lodge Airport Johannesburg, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thanks for your review - we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you again soon.
Somerset West, South Africa
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Similar to the Grayston Drive branch, this hotel is basic, but sufficient. It sits right beside the R24 which is a very busy freeway. Road noise will be devastating if you find yourself on the wrong side of the hotel.

Rooms are compact but neat. Room layout is not as good as the Roodepoort branch. Wash basin is inside room with small bathroom separate. Not very convenient. The television was a miniature old school tube version. Time to upgrade to LCD screens people.

MTN cell phone reception was almost non-existent which cause a lot of frustration. I could not access internet via my MTN USB 3G modem. The free in house Wi-fi (only free for 15 minutes... why???) was also not accessible.

Location was good. It is right next to the convention centre I had to be at.

Room Tip: Stay away from the free way side.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Louis1000
JOHANNESBURG
Reviewed October 12, 2012

After a very long flight, with a connection to make next day, this hotel was perfect. No frills, clean, good service, cheerful and polite staff. The breakfast was first rate. I would definitely stay there again between flights.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

South Africa
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel is situated 5 minutes easy drive away from the airport. it has safe parking. The rooms are average size, with an en-suite bathroom consisting of shower and toilet. There is a kettle in the room, with complimentary coffee and tea. The airconditioner can be set too cool or heat. Breakfast is served next to reception, and was good.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Hardus
Howick, South Africa
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Staff very friendly and helpfull.

A good shuttle service from and to the Johannesburg international airport

rooms very comfortable and clean.

restaurants in the vicinity and good breakfast at the hotel

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
CityLodgeJHB, Public Relations Manager at Town Lodge Airport Johannesburg, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you found our hotel friendly and convenient. We hope to welcome you again soon to this hotel or one of the other hotels in our group.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Germiston
City Lodge Hotel Johannesburg Airport - Barbara Road
Road Lodge Isando
#4 of 8 in Germiston
Garden Court O.R. Tambo International Airport
Road Lodge Johannesburg International Airport

Been to Town Lodge Airport Johannesburg? Share your experiences!