“Yuck, needs updating!!”

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Watertown
Oneonta
“Yuck, needs updating!!”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

We went on a company trip this summer. The staff was friendly, but the rooms need renovations. It is advertised as newly renovated, but it certainly doesn't apply to the rooms-mainly the bathrooms. There were also several construction crews staying at the same time and a few of those men were quite ill mannered and unsavory. The pool is adequate, but the fitness center was a joke! It is a small room with three machines. If someone is staying in the room next door you have to wait until 7 or 8 a.m. to use it. I don't even know how they get away with advertising a fitness center. Do yourself a favor- find out if it has been updated or go stay somewhere else in Watertown.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Oneonta23
RamadaWatertown, Manager at Ramada Watertown, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to respond on Trip Advisor. We are under continuous renovation and hop to be complete this summer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Albany, NY
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I stayed here for one night for business. It was comfortable, easy to find, and pretty quiet. The bath soap was great - it had a gentle citrus smell. Wish I knew the brand so I could buy some for home.

My room was way at the end of the hallway on the first floor. The hallway was pretty dark, and for whatever reason, I seemed to be the only female guest staying in the hotel that night, so I felt a bit uneasy in that hallway. Once in the room, I was fine.

Beds are comfortable, water pressure good, and the curtains actually close all the way to block out light (I find this to be uncommon. There is usually some sort of gap.), which is good, because the hotel is located on a strip with lots of commercial development and light, and there is a sidewalk right in front of the first floor windows.

There is no smoking in the hotel, or at least the floor I was on, which theoretically is nice, but it looks like a lot of their customers do smoke because the entire evening there were groups of men out front smoking away. Maybe they should think about having a section of smoking rooms so the hotel doesn't look like a 1970s high school parking lot.

As others have mentioned, the TV is old school, but I actually liked this. Reception was fine, and the picture was clear. Too often hotels have flat screen TVs that they don't set-up properly, and the pictures are distorted.

We held a program with about 35 people in one of their function rooms. The staff was wonderful - set up the room exactly how we wanted and quickly took care of our last minute requests. The public bathrooms near the function rooms definitely need a renovation. Again, they reminded me of old high school bathrooms.

There is a little cafe room (Greenstreets?) on the hallway with the function rooms. I'm not sure what it is used for, but it is very cute and sunny. The back of the property also looked very pleasant, although the pool was closed for the season. (Not sure how much use and outdoor pool gets in Upstate NY!)

Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Librarian1998
RamadaWatertown, General Manager at Ramada Watertown, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to respond on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you sharing your experience.
nursecass87
Reviewed November 15, 2011

For the price, it was good value. We stayed here on a girls shopping trip, it's location is great, close to shopping and dining. When checking in, the front desk clerk had informed us that they were overbooked for that evening. They asked us to stay in a king sized room and for the inconvinence they gave us free breakfast the following morning, which was really good. This Hotel is outdated, but it was clean. The coffee maker is kept in the bathroom, which i'm not sure I agree with. All in all it was a pleasent stay, for the price it was a good place to stay as we were only there to sleep anyways.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Brighton, Canada
Reviewed November 12, 2011

My wife and I recently made a trip to Watertown for alittle shopping . We decided to stay at the Ramada because it is close to all the shopping and places to eat ect ect . Its in a great location , check in was easy , just gave our name and in 5 mins we were on our way to the room. Our room was on the ground floor ( 103 ) , it was yourbasic room , king bed , T.V , microwave , small fridge ect ect . The room was in need of a update , along with the rest of the hotel . There was a huge spider in the corner of the room , it spent the 3 days with us , didnt harm us in anyway. The bed was kind of hard , pillows sucked !!! Bring your own if you can . The TV is an older model , it did the job though therea door in our room that you could use to go between rooms if you knew the person next to you. We could hear everything going on in the room next to us because of this door , and when I say everything I mean " EVERYTHING " . We could even hear when he they turned on their computer . It was a person from Direct Tv in the room and they must have been one of the main guys because at 6 am all the other Direct Tv guys and girls staying in the hotel would all start knocking on the door next to our room and speaking to the people in the room.

We choose to stay at the Ramada because of it's location to everything , we only ate in the hotel the morning we checked out .... what a huge disappointment and let down . When we walked in my wife and I were not sure if we needed to seat ourselves or wait to be seated , a waiter walked over and said , sit where ever you want, so we did . The entire restaraunt was way out dated and in pretty rough shape to say the least . The waiter gave us menus and asked if we wanted coffee , we did. He brought us coffee told us the buffet was 7.99$ all you can eat , we said we would just have the buffet . That was the last time we saw him till it came time to pay . The buffet was nothing special , scambled eggs , bacon , sausage patties, pankcakes and hashbrowns or more like baked potatos chopped up . A small assortment of cereals and muffins and other sweet stuff. When we were done and waiting to pay , a group of 10 ladies came in for breakfast and they sat down and one of the girls working in the restaraunt was asked if they could just have the buffet rather than order off the menu , the waitress turned and said " What" ??? and the lady asked again and the waitress replied in a snarky sarcastic voice .... Yes you can ALL have the buffet and turned and walked away. My wife and I could not believe how rude the employees were in the restaraunt . We didnt even get a coffee refill in our coffee cups from 1970 . We decided to pay , you had to go to the door where a group of 4 other ladies were waiting to pay . What a production that was !!! The rude girl that had the worse attitude ever , told us that she did not have the ability to print out our bills and we would have to wait for him to do it . The 4 ladies were talking amungst themselves and the Horrid girl behind the counter just opened her mouth and said .... you can have my job and I will take your place !!!! WOW !!! My wife and I were in shock and couldnt believe she just said that out of now where , for no reason at all . The attitude of the restaraunt staff is the worse I have seen ever and we have traveled allot . She was not even dressed like the rest of the staff , she looked really frumpy and like she got her close for that day of the bedroom floor .

My wife used the fitness room and said it was pretty sad . It was a guest room turned into a fitness room , it had a treadmill , stationary bike , and eliptical trainer . Basically they took the furniture out of the room and hung a few mirror's on the wall and added the 3 piece's of training equipment . The hours for the fitness room are 8 am - 10 pm . My wife and I really think it should be open earlier than 8 am , and you have to go to the front desk and ask for a key to get into the fitness room.

After Breakfast , I overheard a older couple checking out and they were not happy with their room on the 4th floor . 1 of the 4 ladies that were waiting to pay for thier breakfast , I over heard at the front desk speaking to the lady working at the desk about a complaint and my wife told me the 4 of them were looking to go and stay else were for the remainder of there trip . They told my wife they have always stayed at the Ramada and they have up until recently offered a free breakfast ( like many other places in Watertown) but have discontinued the free breakfast UNLESS ( and this is sneaky of the RAMADA ) .... When checking in , ask about the fall special and they will give you a voucher to use in the restaraunt for free breakfast buffet. Should be free because it is not worth 7.99 $ , but there is a BOB EVANS right next door !!

All in All..... we will not be staying here again , mainly because of the restaraunt staff and just how out dated the place is . It`s to bad because it has potential and is in a great location .

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Gelaas
Thank you for your response.

Travelers are raving about these Watertown hotels

Marlton, New Jersey
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Any Ramada I have stayed in are pretty much like this... very simple. I am not sure why they are rated as 2.5 star... Hampton Inn, Spring Hill Suites and Best Westren are all 2.5 star... but, they are FAR better than Ramada. Ramada's should be rated 1.5 or 1.0 star.

This hotel is just ok... very deceiving when you are booking and rating is 2.5 star. No free breakfast. Hotel is close to highway 81, shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank familyman56
Thank you for your response.
Ontario/Quebec
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Three of us stayed here on the weekend. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. This place is old and very outdated and is need of a good cleaning. Our room which was supposed to have 2 king beds had 2 queen beds. That really wasn't a problem but you should get what you're paying for. The beds weren't too bad for sleeping but it was the old, musty and moldy smell in the room that was disgusting. The carpets are old and worn and there was quite a bit of mold on the bathroom ceiling. The shower curtain stunk of dirty bath towels and needs to be thrown out. That smell just would not go away. The tv is old school when other hotels have upgraded to flat screens. The cable tv reception was snowy but still watchable. We had the $5.00 breakfast and we all wished we had eaten elsewhere. Our waitress was very cordial but the hostess wouldn't smile if her life depended on it. Not a great way to greet guests. They served a breakfast buffet which was iffy. While it was barely edible, the one thing we noticed was they used wooden salad bowls for your oatmeal instead of glass cereal bowls. Needless to say, none of us had the oatmeal. While most of the staff was quite nice, this hotel needs to be upgraded. The halls are dark and smelly. I wouldn't recommend anyone stay there unless you are on a strict budget and then you take your chances. We definitely won't be back!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank 2crazyladies
East Northport, New York
Reviewed October 22, 2011

On October 3rd my son came back from deployment from Afghanistan and planned to get married October 8th, in a civil ceremony. We didn't plan anything especial because, the families of both parties are far away and will come to the religious ceremony that is going to be held at a later date. Also my husband was the person marrying them. My daughter in law is also in the military and needed to go back immediately to where she is stationed. I cannot begin to tell how wonderful was the whole staff in this hotel. they all went out of their way to make that day especial for both of them and us. When I asked the manager if we could use the garden for the ceremony, they offered the gazebo, where they provided an extension cable for our computers. We were able to skype the ceremony to Nebraska, New York city and Florida. That way our families were able to be "present". Afterwards we had dinner at the restaurant, where they had set up a special table with flowers and on the side they had another table with the cake I had ordered with lavender and pink doyles (they actually took the time to find out which color the bride liked). They also assigned a WONDERFUL waitress to us. I must say that the food was excellent. In addition they sent a basket of goodies to the couples room. It was a wonderful experience for the bride and groom and also for us. The hotel needs an update but is easy to forget that because the staff is wonderful in every level and the rooms are clean and the restaurant is one of the best places to eat in that area. Ramada is the hotel to go in Watertown.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family