“Hotel itself is nice, service is lacking”

Hampton Inn Watertown
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Watertown
Ottawa, Canada
“Hotel itself is nice, service is lacking”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I will warn you from the get-go - this is going to be long. We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Watertown for one night on the May long weekend (long weekend for Canadians) in a King bed Whirlpool room. Let me start with the positives of the stay. The bed in the room was very comfortable. The room was large and we appreciated having the mini-fridge. The hotel looked clean, and the room was clean. I liked that in the evening we could grab a tea and a muffin in the lobby if we liked. The breakfast in the morning is also delicious, and was one of the top breakfasts I've had at a hotel that included breakfast (aside from B&B's). If all Hampton's Inn have all of this, I will be staying in another one again (but not this location). As for staff, I liked Michael from housekeeping. He had the best attitude of the three employees we encountered, and when we asked if they had any playing cards at the front desk, he looked for us. He found no cards but did find dice, which we played with and returned. He was very easy-going and nice, and the minute or two of interaction I had with him far surpassed the experience of the interactions with the front desk staff I will describe below. Now for the bad: The main issue I had with this stay was the service, although there were a couple problems with the room. The shower stall doors were very difficult to open and close. The top wheel came off the rail and the door got stuck, and we had to jiggle and lift it to get it to go back on the track and moving again. Our friends were staying in the room above us and mentioned they had the same problem. In the whirlpool tub, the cover to the over-flow drain kept falling off anytime we touched it, which was surprising and got to be a little annoying. Our room also very strongly smelled of soap or baby powder perfume, which in a room with no window that can open, becomes almost suffocatingly stuffy. We mentioned this to the front desk when they called to see if the room was to our liking, and an hour later it still wasn't resolved. So rather than wait any longer for housekeeping, we said forget it. There was no other rooms to move us to anyway. Also we found the pool to be cold, like much colder than an indoor pool should be. I also didn't appreciate that in 303 where our friends were staying, they had a chaise lounge, and our room 203 had a big empty space. That would have been nice to have. Also the view out of 203 is terrible (enjoy the view of a wall and the roof!), but again I know that can't be fixed. Service was the big issue I had with this stay. It was very clear within minutes of walking in the door to the front desk, that the front desk agents had issues with one another. They were very short and snippy with each other, and one obviously had a hate on for the other, who didn't seem to care. The whole check-in process was uncomfortable and unprofessional. For example, one agent, upon seeing us come in and that he now had a line up, went to the back room to ask the other agent to come help as there was now a line up. The other agent says she has to count something, which prompts the first agent to clearly say under his breath in a very annoyed tone that that's fine, he'll do all her work for her. This made me and my friends give the surprised "Did he just say that?!" face to each other, as he says this clearly in front of all of the guests. Keep in mind that the lobby is very quiet and we can hear everything they're saying upfront and in the back room. They also had short interactions when I had to go back to the front desk about an hour and a half after check in because my payment information didn't register the first time apparently. While I can't remember their interactions in this instance as vividly as I could checking in, I remember that there was so much tension between them that I almost blurted out "Do you guys hate each other? Because your interactions are very uncomfortable from this side of the counter". While I could see that they both knew their stuff and I'm sure on their own or with other people they're great, but their interactions together was the most unprofessional and uncomfortable behaviour I have experienced as a guest at a hotel. It was enough for me to decide that I will never stay in this hotel again and I would not be recommending it to anybody that asks. I was definitely not satisfied with my stay, and it was not worth almost $200 for the night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

1 Thank Amanda L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay . The beds are amazing , we also enjoyed the pool and the complimentary breakfast.
I would recommend this hotel. This is the second time I stay in a Hampton Inn and have never been disappointed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Almonte, Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We highly recommend the Hampton Inn in Watertown. Our entire experience was fantastic from check in to check out. The hotel was incredibly clean and the rooms were beautiful! The bed and the linens were so comfortable and we found the rooms overly spacious. The pool and fitness rooms were fantastic and the kids had a great time! The complimentary evening snacks were overly generous and we couldn't believe how fantastic the breakfast was - for the price we paid we believe we received the best possible value in town!

Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This hotel met the usual standard we get from Hampton Inn. We always know what to expect. We need gluten free food, and were able to get this with the complimentary breakfast. Will definately be back.

Cornwall, Canada
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We were in town for the night and needed a hotel that was not booked ahead of time. Due to past experiences with Hampton we decided to see what the rate was upon arrival. The front desk staff and others treated us great and additionally, helped out by providing us with dishes and utensils when we brought in our late dinner meal. The hotel itself is clean and fresh as was the room. No complaints at all.

Buffalo, NY
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I cannot say much more than found in previous posts. The hotel is new, clean , quiet with a friendly staff. My two bed room was was large and equipped with a refrigerator and microwave. It is located right off of Interstate 81. Parking is free and there are numerous chain restaurants within a 5 minute drive.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Beacon, New York
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This Hampton Inn was excellent in every way! The service was impeccable-friendly, efficient, and helpful in every way. The room was clean and comfortable, and temperature controls were accurate and easy to use. As this was just an overnight stopping point for us, the ease of access to I-81 was greatly appreciated. After being on the road all day, it was wonderful to be able to park the car and walk to any of 10 or so places to eat. We will definitely return again if our travels bring us to Watertown!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple