“What An Amazing Experience & Fun”

Adirondack River Outfitters
Ranked #1 of 2 Tours in Watertown
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Whitewater raft trips ranging from family fun to high adventure. ARO has been providing whitewater adventures for 34 years. We have trips on the Black River in Watertown and the Hudson River in the Adirondacks.
Reviewed July 23, 2018

I was so happy I did this. First I'm in my early 50's and never did rafting before. I was really excited to do this. The price was reasonable, they provided a helmet, life jacket and paddle. It was on the Black River. Every raft has an experience tour guide. Our was Andrew and he made it the best experience ever. He knew myself and another woman had a few fears and his positive attitude and that if I did fall out it would be fine was very reassuring. They did a good job of explaining what is going on as far as the experience. They checked everyone's life jacket to make sure it fit properly. When you were assigned to your raft, Andrew was great explain what needs to be done and if this happens you need to do this. Half way through they offered a snack which was a tortilla with peanut butter and a crunchy something inside all rolled up with a small glass of water or lemonade. I have a diet restriction so they allowed me to bring my own snack and they put it the medical bag. We had a great time with the people on our raft. You were able to get out and swim in 2 locations and also jump off a cliff in the water. When returning they provided a lunch with grilled chicken with a few salads and bev. They had a CD for sale of all the rafts during the trip as a photographer follow us throughout the trip. They also had shirt/sweatshirts for sale as well. Would go with this company again.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"fears"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed July 8, 2018

A group of 7 of us came up from NYC to try out ARO rafting and we had a blast!! Well worth the journey. Our guide Chris (everyone there called him "City Boy") was extremely knowledgeable, friendly, professional, and fun! We were all laughing the whole time and had a blast spending the day on the river and. We can't wait to come back!! We also loved how ARO thought of everything for us- water shoes, helmets, and paddles were all included in the price, they even pack lunch and gatorade for everyone which comes in handy.

Reviewed July 6, 2018

ARO is a fantastic company to raft with. The guides were knowledgeable and made us feel very safe. It was a low flow day, making the rapids short in duration and small in height. Still an enjoyable day as we were treated to many swimming opportunities, free beer, snacks and a delicious chicken bbq. I highly recommend them.

3  Thank TravelEZinNY
Reviewed August 24, 2017 via mobile

We had a great day of rafting with my kids and their friends. The river is beautiful and our guide filled the hours with laughter and a history of Watertown. Make sure to request Larry! We'll be back....

See more reviews
Reviewed August 6, 2017

I have ran with another company on the Black River twice before and ARO was a better one than other company. The raft had less people and I felt as if we got to swim more.You start out by checking in and getting fitted. They let us use the wetsuits do to the cold. It wasn't really cold though. You run the rapids and they let you swim in a few different places. You also can leap off a small cliff if you want. Half way through we got wraps that wear peanut butter, corn flakes, and honey. I was surprised how good it was. Along with a Dixie cup of water or lemonade. At the end you get pulled back to shore by a boat and we got a beer or bottle of water. Then we climbed on the bus and they drove us back. We were all mostly dry when we got back, so you don't really need a towel. At the end was a chicken cookout with salad & various dressings, along with 2 home made pasta salads that are taste and not oily. Along with beer and water. It was a great trip. If I had a complaint it would be I wish they had more than just beer and water at the end. Maybe a soda or the lemonade. Great experience and I am bring the cards I got from them to work.

2  Thank Kirk E