“New and Improved Pete's almost as good as the Old Petes.....almost.”
Review of Pete's Trattoria

Pete's Trattoria
Ranked #1 of 149 Restaurants in Watertown
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Antwerp, New York
“New and Improved Pete's almost as good as the Old Petes.....almost.”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Under new ownership, Pete's has been cleaned up and spiffed up, and (attempted) to go fancier and more upscale.
On a Tuesday night, we had the place almost to ourselves. We were immediately seated. The tables are well decorated, wich is undermined by the fact that every table has a paper tablecloth. Yes, paper. Like a backwoods dive bar.
Off the doublesided menu boards, we started with tomato bruschetta. (It also may be served with beets instead). It was very tasty, except the balsamic reduction was applied with a heavy hand, drenching the more subtle flavors of the ingredients.
Salads are $1.50 extra. A "small" salad is as big as a regular salad at any other place. I passed on the salad because they only had three choices for dressing. Very odd.
You can't go wrong on the entree side. I went with the veal parmesan, my wife with the chicken parmesan. Both were very large pieces of tender meat served over pasta, and the sauce was both spicy and sweet. Both of us had plenty to take home. Meals are served with a fresh baked loaf of bread. Very good. The waiter also brings out some flavorless dipping oil. Pass on that.
Our waiter was very friendly and helpful, but seemed put out when I asked if I could substitute for the rigatoni pasta with another kind. I just happen to abhor rigatoni.
The bill came to about $53. We would definately go back to Petes,, but I miss the more family atmosphere it used to have.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Grumpy O

“Best in the area for fine dining!”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This place was recommended to me by two different friends. My husband and I were celebrating our 12 year anniversary and decided to try this! We are so happy that we did. We have been here about 10 years and never even knew this place existed!
The ambiance is romantic, the service top-notch and the food is superb. Hubby ordered the spaghetti special and I went with an eggplant dish that had mushrooms and feta layered in between. We also ordered a cup of the lobster bisque and a salad as well. The lobster bisque was nothing short of amazing! It was LOADED with lobster! The house dressing was very tasty. The meals were great, Hubby usually can eat quite a bit but he had to quit with the first serving of all you can eat spaghetti! He said it was very good (and he never lies)!
We opted for a wine for the special occasion and it too was perfect! We ended the meal with tiramisu. I cannot say a bad word! It was all very good. We are very pleased that we chose this place to celebrate our special day!
We would definitely recommend this to our friends! I cannot wait to go back.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Jen R
Carthage, New York
“Best Italian Food I've had Outside of Italy!”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

The atmosphere, service, and food were simply amazing. The menu is great. It took me forever to choose a meal because everything looked so good. Petes is a can't miss choice in the North Country!

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Jason Y
“#1 for a REASON! (lots of reasons, actually)”
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

From the friendly greeting at the front door to attentive staff to exquisite food, Pete's provides all the benefits of a high end, fine dining restaurant while maintaining a family friendly atmosphere. We were pleasantly surprised with the fresh bread and olive oil served before the meal-and to find that the olive oil was made in the family! We had the pork osso bucco and prosciutto-wrapped jumbo shrimp, which were both simply divine and highlighted not only the chef's culinary talent, but the business's care in ingredient selection. The pork was so tender that it peeled away from the bone with a fork. Scrumptious! I can point to exactly nothing that could have made our dining experience better!

Visited April 2013
4 Thank MohicanTraveler
“Do not drive past Watertown NY without stopping to eat at PETE'S”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We were simply overjoyed with our dining experience. Friendly and informed service brought us a truly exceptional meal. A shared house salad ( Lori Ann told us one salad wad sufficient ) was followed by the portobello risotto and the pumpkin ravioli. The latter Ian a taste sensation ; the former presented on a grilled crisp portobello slice done to perfection. Take home a bottle of the house olive oil to remind yourself of your resolve to never drive past Watertown without stopping for another fine meal

3 Thank Brebisdd