“Great hotel...Breakfast not so much!”

Hilton Garden Inn Watertown/Thousand Islands
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Watertown
Kingston, Canada
“Great hotel...Breakfast not so much!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

The Hilton Garden Inn is a great place to stay every thing was great clean and tidy. The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the breakfast it was expensive and not very good....But other than that every thing else was great The staff were excellant and friendly...the pool and hot tub were clean and great....

Room Tip: I can't walk very far so they gave us a room by the side door which was great!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jody P, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Watertown/Thousand Islands, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
My name is Matthew Hudson, Executive Chef here at the Hilton Garden Inn Watertown/Thousand Islands. On behalf of everyone here at HGI Watertown/Thousand Islands, I would like to extend a big thank you for your feedback about your stay at our hotel. We value your opinion and are sad to hear that your experience with our breakfast did not live up to your standards. I would love to hear more about it. If by chance you could spare a few more moments of your time, please reach out to me whichever way is most convenient for you. By phone at (315) 788-1234 ext:689 or by email at hudsonm621@hotmail.com. Thank you again for your feedback, we always looking for ways to improve.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Brampton, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

All around a great place to stay. Clean, excellent upkeep, plenty of amenities. Nothing bad to say about this place. Why can't all hotels be as good as this Hilton? Would definitely stay here again if I was in the area.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

Welcoming environment and a staff to match . The best food or breakfast of the hotels in the area. Enjoyed our weekend as we mingled with a load of the most polite and engaging Marines on Superbowl weekend. Despite the poor gang being stranded their, the hotel went out of their way to make sure all guests felt at home. No surprises there.

Jacksonville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

My husband was one of the Marines that was 'stranded' at the hotel over last weekend on their way to deploy overseas.
During this unanticipated delay the Marines were treated so kindly and with great love as the hotel provided food and beverage and use of the conference room for the Superbowl. They were also great with information to do in town and good places to eat. THANK YOU HILTON! You've made a difficult situation much better!!

• Stayed February 2013
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

If in Watertown this is the hotel to stay at and do indeed take in the Wine and Dine Weekend. The room was very clean and bed comfortable only complaint was there was no door at bedroom entrance which made it akward if other spouse went to bed early while other is watching t.v. or playing a few tunes on the guitar with a light on made for rather noisy experience for the one in bed. Restaurant also needs to build a wall between the lobby and Reasturant as a cold draft enters the restuarant while your eating everytime door opens to the lobby. Staff at restaurant and at registration were very friendly including the cleaning staff. Facilities were clean and location is great close to the Discount liquor store if needed and shopping and the highway Interstate 81. Intend to return and stay at this hotel next Wine and Dine event. Keep up the good work Hilton Garden Inn at Watertown USA.

Brian & Yvette McGirr (Ottawa) P.S. Robert Raby beat me at Hearts because he was lucky!!!

Brian & Yvette McGirr

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

The Wine and Dine weekend at this hotel was very good value --The rooms are comfortable, well appointed and clean. The staff is generally pleasant and polite. Food is delicious and breakfast far outranks any offered at comparable hotels--however, it is not included in the room price. The one negative is the location of the dining room--directly off the main foyer--which results in a temperature drop of several degrees each time the front doors open, despite the presence of two operating fireplaces in the main entrance area-?energy efficiency??

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the parking area as opposed to one on the highway side.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

The online directions are sufficient to guide you to find the hotel as it is located beside the I-81 exit 45. On the Friday night we checked in and found the room accommodations adequate. The fridge was empty, there was no bottled water supplied and there was no safe in our room. My husband found the “king” size bed small. The room included access to wireless internet, exercise facility and a swimming pool. The furniture was nice and none of the furniture was broken although the adjustment on one side of the bed did not work. The package includes evening meal and breakfast coupons which is quite a bargain and well worth the price.
WINE TASTING
The initial wine tasting event was scheduled from 6 to 9 pm on the Friday night. My husband and I couldn’t find it when we were first looking for it but found it while wondering around the hotel after our dinner. Additional signage would be helpful. The four wineries who had participated were the Thousand Islands Winery, Venditti, Otter Creek and Coyote Moon. The first evening there were no spittoons so we were a little unsteady on our feet by the time we got to the fourth winery but this omission was corrected for the Saturday session which was from 2 pm to 5pm. All of the wineries should provide scorecards or written information to record your preferences. On Friday evening there was a cheese vendor but on Saturday we only had wine. Some bread or crackers would have been nice and the wineries could have included some cheese or fruit pairing suggestions.
MEALS
With a 6:30 pm dinner reservation for the Wine N Gourmet Weekend we thought we’d be treated specially but with a greater than expected turn out for their first event we were shown to a small table with a cold draft from the entrance doors.
My seared scallop appetizer was good but the tiny bits of grit on one of the scallops detracted from the flavourful salsa that the chef had prepared. The salads which accompanied our entrees were average and required a fork and knife to cut the lettuce into bite size pieces. I gave my husband the huge rings of red onion that were perched on the top of my salad and he thoroughly enjoyed his salad. My crab cake entrée was nice with a delightful Cajun sauce drizzled over it. Three or four smaller unflattened cakes instead of the two huge flat ones might have improved the dish by allowing the crab to remain moist in the center of the cake. My husband had the halibut. He said the top crust was soggy and should have been left under the flame for a minute or two more. Neither one of us had room for dessert because the portions were so large.
Saturday morning we tried the made to order breakfast which included some buffet items in the coupon. My husband had a western omelet with cheese that must have been a three egg omelet it was so large. My scrambled eggs were good, fully cooked the way I like them but they were cold on my plate within a couple of minutes. The toast was slow but very good once it made it through the machine. I tried the bacon and sausage links which were cooked nicely. The home fries had a very tasty spices and didn’t require ketchup.
The cooking demonstration and dinner on Saturday night was the piece de resistance. The first course of Seared Duck Breast with Bacon and Corn Salad had melt in your mouth duck and a sassy corn, bacon salad. The wine pairing was Coyote Moon’s “Twisted Sister” which was surprising in its complexity and it paired nicely with the duck. Executive Chef Matthew Hudson seemed at home in front of a crowd and managed to keep everyone’s attention through some technical difficulties. The duck was expertly cooked to still show pink in the center and was still warm when served. It was a pleasure to sink my teeth into it. The second course of Baby Spinach with Warm Bacon Vinaigrette and Peppered Goat Cheese was flavourful but the coughs in the audience were an evidence of the slightly excessive use of black pepper on the goat cheese. We speculated at my table whether the use of less black pepper or a pink and black pepper mix might have been more appropriate. The Otter Creek “Aurore” was a good choice. A milder wine would not have been able to stand up to the pepper. The third course of Lemon Sorbet was tart and tangy as you’d expect and did the job of a palate cleanser well. I liked the addition of slice of mint leaves. The fourth course was Pork Tenderloin with Cheddar Cheese Grits and Cherry Demi Glaze was lovely. The pork was just done medium well and the glaze was full of flavour. For the first time in my life I enjoyed eating grits that were full of flavour and paired well with the pork. The Thousand Islands’ “Gewürztraminer” was a good choice and the spicy notes in the wine balanced the pork well. The fifth course is where the Hilton Garden Inn showed their level of professionalism to me. I’m allergic to chocolate so before the dinner I spoke to Executive Chef Matthew (I didn’t realize it was the chef at the time but he was very accommodating )and told him of my concern. He assured me that an alternative dessert would be prepared and it was delivered with the other desserts seamlessly. I am sure that the “Chocolate Mousse parfait with Fresh Berries” was delicious since the version I had without the chocolate mousse was delightful and satisfying. The Vendetti Vineyards “Vino Rosso E Dolce” was not to my taste but my husband thought that it was very tasty.

Breakfast on Sunday morning was tasty with a nice variety of fresh fruit and juices available. My husband and I tried poached eggs and while I was disappointed that they didn’t have any hollandaise sauce the preparation was perfect. I asked for the whites to be well done and they were.

SPA SERVICES
I tried the manicure and pedicure which were both quite good. They used quality products and ensured that the tools were properly sterilized. The time allowed was not sufficient though. My 1 hour pedicure turned into 2.25 hours but I thoroughly enjoyed the time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple