“3 strikes-they are out”

Best Western Watertown Fort Drum
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Watertown
Reviewed September 15, 2006

Being a avid traveler and giving someone the benefit of the doubt, we have stayed at this hotel approx. 3 times and will never return. Our first two times were about borderline to being such a horrible experience but we thought that it was just bad luck. Needless to say, we booked 2 rooms to accomodate our party of 6 but were highly disappointed. The beds and pillows were very hard, the interior of the room as well as the hotel's appearence overall was pretty dispicable. Bathrooms were very small, and the towels were very THIN, OLD, and RAGGED. The walls are paper thin. Every stay, again totalling out to 3 times, were full of noise and disturbance, from loud neighbors all hours of the night, to the noise of constant water running. In which leads me to say that if you are expecting a hot shower, you must first be prepared to deal with hot and cold water during your shower as the water temperatures are not regulated to support this large of a hotel. I will not lie and I'll be totally honest to say that we were impressed by the pool area especially since having everything go wrong from step one.

The front desk is beyone words. Very rude and very unaccomodating. Truthfully, it blows my mind to see how the manager could land the position that he had held, as he was very beligerent and hostile from the get go. We aren't hard people to please. We just want a comfortable stay when we travel. We go every year to the 1000 Islands region about 30 miles away from the hotel and have found that there aren't many decent hotels in the area that are available or that does not get booked up fast. Please don't stay here because you are visiting the area. Even if you get hard up and can't find a place.

Not once during our 3 stays were we offered a discount on a future stay. We don't like to complain but unfortunetly we had to. The front desk covered up the problems that the hotel has and said that nothing can be done. Maybe that is so, although I know it's not as we travel many times a year to many states in the northeast.

I realize that my review is long but when a person pays good money, they should get some type of satisfaction. If you do find yourself in the poor position of staying here...........call the hotel several times before arriving if you are charging or holding your room by credit cards, as they screwed up our rooms, rates and reservations each time. After ten minutes of playing around with the computer and online reservations, they managed to find our room in which we had book prior to our stay but we ended up getting a different room in which we didn't request.

Three times, you're out. We gave them our money and our stay on three different occassions-must I add two nights each time, totalling up to 9 nights over a course of three years. This hotel doesn't get better: it gets worse and management and services are at an ultimate low.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank HollAhna

Reviewed April 13, 2006

The hotel is clean, the pool area above average. Hotel staff is VERY accommidating and was able to help with everything from directions to area attractions to additional bedding. The bathrooms are smaller than the average hotel, but the rest of the accommidations made up for it. The buffet on Sunday AM is wonderful and has something for even the pickiest eater. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone staying in Watertown for any legnth of time...

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank ratfree
Johnston
Reviewed April 1, 2006

We have just returned from this hotel. We found a Very Clean facility with all new bedding, curtains, wall coverings, mattress, bath fixtures, etc. New entrance and lobby. The staff was friendly, knowledgeable and efficient, although the desk could have used 2 people instead of 1. The pool was a good size, clean, warm and had a new liner. Lots of tables and chairs in the area. The Sunday brunch, although nothing special, was ample, hot and had a good variety as well as being a good value. We had 2 seniors over 80 in our party and they were free. The parking lot was well lit and there are plenty of doors into the hotel. It appears to be in a safe area anyway with plenty of people around. There is lots of parking. Our only complaint was about a very loud barking dog (in the hotel). It woke us up 3 times between 4 and 6 AM and again on another day in the afternoon when we were napping. We were told it was the owners dog. If not for the dog we would stay here again. To get away from the early morning awakening we will stay at the Best Western University Inn in Canton (close enough) the next time we are in the area, although I like this facility better. We really couldn't get back to sleep after the dog woke us up a couple of times!

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 12, 2005

I have stayed at this particular hotel twice in the past few months. I travelled from Ontario Canada for business purposes. Both times the staff were great, but the hotel in general -----! The pool is ancient, dirty and small. The outdoor lounge furniture is old, rusty, dirty, and falling apart. The hotel room in general is definately nothing special. The first stay was awful the room being unkept, etc. The second time in Sept/05 I found a huge stain on the ceiling from something leaking from above, dried old blood on each side of the box spring, wood pieces missing from the head board, shower had a tremendous soap scum build up, toilet had a dark stain, the floors in the bathroom were unkept. I used multiple towels to cover the floor so I did not have to walk on them. The bathroom was so small, old, and dirty. I had a non-smoking room, but on a smoking floor which totally defeats the purpose considering all you can smell is smoke when you leave your room. I did complain, I gave them the pictures of all the complaints, and stated I would not be going back to hotel, so what I was offered was $25 towards my next stay. Are you kidding, I will never stay there again. I shredded the gift certificate. I would never waste my time or money again on staying at this hotel. Thanks but no thanks.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 10, 2005

My husband and I recently spent a night at the Carriage House Inn. The Best Western website did a great job of building up this hotel ("best hotel in town, etc."). God help Watertown if that is true. This hotel would be the perfect setting for some old-fashioned horror movie. The carpets are filthy. The wallpaper was put up in the 1800s. The bathrooms are VERY small and bare bones -- absolutely no frills. The wall unit heater was antiquated and very noisy. There was literally trash on the floor from the previous occupant. If it hadn't been late at night, I would have left and found another hotel. We stayed on night and left early the next morning. And we'll never stay there again! Unbelievable horrible.

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled on business
17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
bwcarriagehouse, Owner at Best Western Watertown Fort Drum, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2007

Please note that in 2006 our hotel had a major renovation that included exterior, landscaping, new curtains, bed linens, mattresses, tile entrances, and pool liner.

Reviewed December 5, 2004

My wife and I stayed at this hotel (for business) for two nights right before Thanksgiving 2004. When my company told me that I could stay at any hotel in town, I naturally and immediately choose the most expensive hotel that I could find. Having never previously been to Watertown, I was hoping for a Four Seaons or something. Well, so much for the fantasy. At the time, this Best Western was the most expensive in town, so I booked it for two nights (about $80 per night).

Not a good value!

I've stayed at other $80 hotels in the past that were much nicer than this place. To begin, it's hard just finding the place. I had to circle around the building once before I could even find the front office. A sign would be nice! Eventually found the front office. It was about 10:30 at night when we got in. Check-in was no problem. But the parking lot is in the back of the building (opposite side of front office), and we were relegated to using the back-door entrance. Scary! Dark, slippery, and dirty. Apparently they were doing some day-time renovations in the basement, so the "entrance way" was packed with boxes of stuff. Had to hoof it up a small flight of stairs with our heavy bags, and viola, we were on our floor. Then ... the signs for our room number literally point to the right, but our room was actually to the left. They really should change those signs. Eventually got into the room. Dirty carpets. Maybe they were in the process of changing the carpets? It looks like a hunter's lodge in there, and I think that's what this room served as some of the time (especially in the fall season).

And oh the bathrooms, tiny! Not so nice at all. Left much to be desired. Had some funky counter cut-outs that just barely made enough room to put the toilet seat all the way up. The guy next to us whom we shared a pass-thru door with had the TV on loud all night (not the hotel's fault, I know). The king bed was comfy and the linens were clean, as were the towels.

The restaurant had a pretty good breakfast and good service. No complaints about the restaurant. At night the bar was a perfectly good place to knock back a few cold ones.

All in all, this place wasn't bad, it served its purpose. But it seems to be overpriced at $80 per night. I've stayed in hotels much better than this for just $50 per night. I think Best Western knows they have a lock on this market, so they don't see a need to update this hotel.

If I find myself back in Watertown, I think I'd try another hotel.

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Quad Cities, IA
Reviewed June 2, 2004

My husband and I stayed here as a central location because we were going to be traveling to different sites. The lobby and staff were very nice, but as soon as we stepped onto the elevator I could have sworn I was in a different hotel. It's in bad need of an update. The halls were gloomy, the room was ok but the bathroom was far too small and 2 people could not be in there at the same time. The pool had green bloobs floating in it and the stairway from the parking lot entrence smelled like garbage. The food at the pub was what you would expect from a pub, we did not eat at the other restaurants. I think the price is too high for what you get.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member