“Down Town Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Watertown
Elmira, New York
“Down Town Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel was very nice for being a In-Town Hotel. The rooms were clean. Huge TV. Micro,
Refridge and coffe pot in room. They had a great breakfast buffet included in the price. The staff was very helpful. The only problem was the AC had been turned off for the winter and the room was way too warm. We can't always control the weather!

Room Tip: Remember to pick a room with a bed size you want. We would've loves a queen but got a double.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
jerimcgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Watertown Fort Drum, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of our property. I was pleased to see that you found our hotel nice and our staff helpful. I do apologize for Mother Nature. The weather in our area is always quite crazy this time of year with 70's one day and 40's the next. It is difficult to keep up. We appreciate your understanding and apologize for the inconvenience. We hope to see you again on your next visit to the area. If I can be of any further assistance please let me know.

Jeri McInnis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Brossard, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

Friendly and helpful staff but it ends there. Beware scrambled eggs for breakfast. I never ate sawdust but imagine this is how it tastes like. Access to parking was difficult to roadwork at the time (not hotel's fault)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations. We appreciate your comments and are working on improvements to our breakfast. I am very pleased that you did have a pleasant experience with our staff and hope you will consider giving us another chance during your next visit to the area. If I can be of any further assistance please let me know.

Ottawa, Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Mould on bathroom ceiling and bathtub tiles. Very small bathroom - a large person would have trouble sitting on the toilet. Constant noise from the ventilation system which was very loud and annoying - sounded like a diesel truck idling outside the room. We received a $30 discount on the room for the noise, which kept us awake over half the night. Very few TV stations to choose from. Restaurant was not open on Sunday evening, so we had to go out in the rain searching for somewhere to eat. There was no local phone book in the room. The desk chair was broken and we could not raise it. Hotel needs a total renovation top to bottom.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
jerimcgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Watertown Fort Drum, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for taking time to let me know about the issues that you encountered during your stay with us. First let me apologize for these issues and assure you that we are taking care of the items that we can right away. I'm sure if our staff had been aware of these issues they would have been happy to switch rooms for you. I hope this does not deter you from staying with us in the future if you are in our area. If you would like to speak with me in more detail about your stay please give me a call at 315-782-8000.

Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

This is an older hotel, situated ideally downtown away from the big box stores and hub bub of Interstate on and off. Having said that, being downtown here is like being in a small town ( its not) because of its proximity to the beautiful downtown square with historic statues and fountain and the refurbished downtown stores in the old building. Back to the hotel, upon arrival, I was very impressed with the front desk staff who were happy, friendly and very accommodating. The welcome package of snacks for "BW rewards members" was a nice touch. We had a room on the first floor and it was pretty much a standard BW room. Two double beds with pillow top mattresses and three small pillows on each bed. ( I have a problem with these and would prefer two standard pillows instead. Checked at front desk and they didn't have any of them to swap). The room was a good size and the bath room was small and "seating" was compact but not a problem. The room had full amenities and was clean and bright, but the curtains and wall coverings were showing age. TV was updated and large.

Didn't check out the indoor pool, but I did imbibe in the downstairs lounge and enjoyed a nice "happy hour" 4-6 I think and $5.00 appetizers (the mozzarella sticks were great)

Breakfast was complimentary and the breakfast room was very large with lots of seating (in what I believe was the hotel ballroom). The breakfast was good with a nice selection of breakfast items.

Overall, not one of the new modular hotels by the interstate, but not a bad place to stay and I would recommend it for an overnighter.

Room Tip: there are three floors here, so if you have a lot of stuff, request a first floor room. By the way...
1 Thank CdnDremer
jerimcgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Watertown Fort Drum, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We are currently working with Best Western to make some renovations to our guest rooms. I am glad that you enjoyed our breakfast. For a bit of history, this room is the actual carriage house for the orginal home that stood where the hotel does now. Our downtown area has several quaint shops and restaurants that most people visiting our area miss because they are more interested in the mall and chain stores. It's great that you had a chance to explore out town a little. We hope to see you on your next trip to Watertown.
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Upon arrival we were given a room on the first floor. Got to the room and saw how tiny the washroom was. I am a larger person and realized that we had an issue. Went to the front desk and mentioned about the size of the washroom, and they were very apologetic. The changed our room to a different wing, and when we went the new room we were delighted to discover that we had been upgraded to a two room suite at no extra charge.The room was very clean and comfortable and we would definitely stay when we return to Watertown. The breakfast buffet was also very good with lots to choose from.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the wonderful review about your recent stay with us. I am so pleased that our staff took good care of you while you were with us and that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Watertown.

Wiarton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

We were given room 140A which is very spacious but has a very tiny bathroom!The toilet seat is archaic!The breakfast was passable.I have had much better breakfasts at other places.There were flies around the food.The staff were OK.The internet is not secure.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
jerimcgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Watertown Fort Drum, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I do apologize for the size of the bathroom. We are looking into ways to improve our bathrooms with out having to knock down walls. Our third floor rooms have a better bathroom set up if you happen to stay with us in the future. We are also working on the issues you mentioned with our breakfast. Again I apologize that we were not able to make your stay exceptional, but hope that we can make it up to you on a future visit.

Long Beach, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

As a couple we stayed at this hotel...They give us Lower level room which has dogs stay there and they have elevator door is open making huge noise, couldnt able sleep well.. I tryed to book from different hotel or change my room it was already booked...room is disgusting, there are dead bloody bugs on the walls..carpet is nasty and smelly, A/C make noise, Breakfast also not great there was fly in the cream that you put in the waffle...I suggest dont be sorry, book somewhere else it will be little expensive at least you wont worry about your stay.

Room Tip: First come first serve, so if you go (Which I dont recomend) check your room. Then ask another if y...
1 Thank MOguz
Thank you for letting me know about the problems that you experienced during your recent stay with us. I'm sure our breakfast attendants would have changed out the whipped cream on the buffet if they were aware of the fly. I also apologize that you were put in our pet section and we were not able to move you right away. I was here on Sunday and recall our front desk agent moving you to the first available room we had on an upper floor as well as a $25 Best Western gift card. My understanding was that this was acceptable at the time. I certainly apologize if it was not because we would have done whatever was needed to make sure you were comfortable.