“Never Again” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Watertown
Port Hope
“Never Again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

If it wasn't for 2 front desk staff at the Best Western, Watertown, NY we would not have spent our two nights at this hotel, and are strongly considering staying elsewhere in the future.

We are aware, at times we will occasionally run into a hotel, that is somewhat dated, and as somebody who too is in the food and hospitality business, mistakes can happen.Having said that cleanliness, leaves very little room for compromise.

We were given a room on the third floor. Upon entry we were greeted with a window that had been repaired with several pieces of duct tape. The floor had an old sock and garbage beside the dresser, it didn't appear to have been vacuumed. The beds looked sloppy as the bed skirts were almost a third of the way down the box spring. We called the front desk and talked to a young man who informed us there were no other rooms available. My husband went to the desk to check cancel our reservation.,

Allison, on the front desk went over and above to correct this issue, and is highly commended. She brought the room to the attention of housekeeping staff, and upgraded our room along with a $50 gift card.

This room was much better than the original room, however we found several long hairs in the bathtub and on the washroom floor, we brought this to the attention of Chris.......he to should be commended for his actions.

Sunday night we went for a swim, however changed our minds as the pool was chilly and the saunas weren't on.

At breakfast, the hot food was only slightly warm. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Best Western served breakfast with proper plates and cutlery, not plastic.

In the future, we will think twice about staying at the Best Western again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dice2008
jerimcgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Watertown Fort Drum, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I apologize for the houskeeping issues that you encountered and have brought them to the attention of the department manager. Chris and Allison are among our best customer service agents so I am glad that they took care of you. Our suanas do not stay on all the time, but have to be turned on and set with the timer. It usually takes about 5 minutes for them to warm up for use. I would also like to apologize for the temperature of our breakfast and plates used. Best Western like most hotel chains that offer a free breakfast use disposable items for the buffet. I am sorry if this was not what you were expecting. If you would like to discuss your stay with me directly, please do nopt hesitate to call me.

Jeri McInnis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stayed one night at the BW and were pleasantly surprised after have read a few not so good reviews. Check in was painless and our room was ready, clean and cool. We faced the street and were a little concerned about the noise, but the windows managed to keep out all the traffic noise. There is only one restaurant to eat at that was within walking distance, so we took our chances with the restaurant in the hotel. We managed to arrive on Thursday, which is wine night and all glasses were 2 bucks. We ordered two entrees and got a free bottle of wine. Food was very good! The hotel needs a bit of a face lift, but overall, was fine for an overnight while travelling.

Room Tip: Rooms facing road are not noisy!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your recent stay with us and for not letting some of our reviews change your mind about our property. As with most things, people tend to be more vocal when they have experienced a problem than when everything has been good. I'm glad that you had a pleasant stay and were able to take advantage of Wine Night at our restaurant. We hope ot see you on your next visit to Watertown.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Gave me a unclean room that still had dirty bed unmade towels and trash still on the floor. See pictures. I took room key back to man at front counter and said the room has not been cleaned. The first thing he said to me is "did you even go in the room" He should have said I am sorry sir I will get this taken care of. A little customer service 101. He did get me a new room which was cleaned. There is rigged construction in the rooms but it is a 2 1/2*

Give it a try if you are on a budget. If you are trying to impress someone stay away.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank southduck
Thank you making me aware of the issues you encountered upon check in at our property. I apologize for the oversight by our staff in checking you into a room that had not been cleaned yet and for the lack of customer service you received from our front desk agent. I hope that once you were able to get into a clean room that you were able to enjoy the remainder of your stay. If you would like to discuss you stay in further detail please don't hesitate to give me a call.

Vermont
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

We were visiting the 1000 Islands Region and the Best Western offered a good rate for a room. Upon check-in we were told that our rate would be $10 more than originally quoted on the phone because two of us were staying in the room. The room was okay, Average. The bathroom was incredibly small. Even the sink counter had to be cut at an angle so the toilet would fit. I wish the thermostat would have had a "temperature" setting instead of just high or low cool. The room would go from warm to freezing and then back to warm when we'd try and adjust the temperature to the perfect setting. After four days in the room we still couldn't get it to a perfect setting.
They offered a free breakfast, which I love. Eggs, sausage, home fries, bagels, toast, muffins, waffles and cold cereal. I'd love if they added some flavored creamer to their coffee bar (and splenda).
We didn't utilize the pool on this stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank auggies
jerimcgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Watertown Fort Drum, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property. I do apologize for the smaller size of our bathrooms and the problems you had regulating the temperature in your room. These are both things that we plan on updating as part of our ongoing renovations. I am very pleased that you were able to take advantage of our free breakfast buffet and appreciate your suggestions for improving it. I hope we will see you on your next visit to Watertown.

Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

The hotel is nice and the rooms are a good size. The staff was incredibly pleasant upon check-in, which was a plus. They also have DVD players in the rooms and a DVD library at the front desk which was definitely helpful, as I had a tired soldier and needed to stay occupied while he was asleep. The BIG minus for us was that we were on the first floor in the room closest to the lobby. We could hear people coming and going at all hours, which was a bit frustrating. Also, we were right across the hall from the ice machine. Every time someone went out to get ice, we could hear it as though they were getting ice in our room. It was incredibly loud. I would like to stay here again, but I will be sure to request a second floor room away from the ice machine.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room away from the ice machine!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kken2416
jerimcgm, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Watertown Fort Drum, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for the review about your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of our DVD library. I do apologize for the inconvenience of your room location but am glad that this will not prevent you from staying with us again. On behalf of our entire staff I would also like to thank your soldier for their service.

General Manager.
South Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

I travel to Watertown, NY for business 4-8 nights a month. I had been staying at another hotel for about 2 years in Watertown. I decided to give the Best Western Carriage Inn a try last year. I asked the desk clerk to give me the key to a regular room and to a king suite. Both rooms were clean and spacious. The King Suite was HUGE! Beds were extremely comfortable with the best pillows I've found any where!

I gave a try for a couple of nights that week, and was very happy with my experience there.

For the past year I've stayed over 50 nights and never had a bad experience! The staff is fantastic, right down to the maintenance and housekeeping people. Everybody smiles, says hello, and if they notice you over the course of time, many will learn your name and address you as Mr. (name).

I will say that the actual physical facility is a little dated, but the rooms are always in top shape, the beds are always clean and fresh, and I've not had any issues with hot water or air conditioners.

What makes this facility shine is the staff at the front desk. The management does a great job of bringing in top quality people, and no matter how busy they are always give you 100%, especially when you're road-weary, and want to get checked in!

If you're looking for a good guest experience in Watertown, and don't want to spend the near $200 a night some of the other brands charge, I would encourage you to give Best Western Carriage Inn a try!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Dave Y
Thank you for the outstanding review of our property. I am glad that our staff makes you feel welcome when you are with us and that we are your hotel of choice when staying in Watertown. I also appreciate the wonderful comments about our staff. I will be sharing your review with them so that they know what a great job they are doing.

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Although this is an older hotel, staff and ammenities makes up for lack of fancy decor! Rooms clean and comfortable (though bathroom is small). Breakfast items were re-stocked quite often and with the exception of a parent who doesn't think anyone should be bothered with a screaming child, having 5 days of breaksfast was a pleasant experience. The resturant is great and the menu has some incredible offerings: get there prior to 6pm for $5 appetizers-great selection and sure to please. Bar staff and desk staff were extremely professional, courteous and friendly: Ian at the bar and Chris Hess at the front desk were a true delight! Look forward to next trip to the area as I will be staying at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the nice review about your recent stay with us. I am very pleased that our staff and amenities made up for the age of our property and that you were able to enjoy all that we have to offer. I do apologize for the inconsiderateness of some guests but am glad you did not let it ruin your appetite for breakfast. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.