“Bed not cleaned or made and old towels still on floor”

Best Western Watertown Fort Drum
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Watertown
“Bed not cleaned or made and old towels still on floor”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Gave me a unclean room that still had dirty bed unmade towels and trash still on the floor. See pictures. I took room key back to man at front counter and said the room has not been cleaned. The first thing he said to me is "did you even go in the room" He should have said I am sorry sir I will get this taken care of. A little customer service 101. He did get me a new room which was cleaned. There is rigged construction in the rooms but it is a 2 1/2*

Give it a try if you are on a budget. If you are trying to impress someone stay away.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank southduck
jerimcgm, General Manager at Best Western Watertown Fort Drum, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you making me aware of the issues you encountered upon check in at our property. I apologize for the oversight by our staff in checking you into a room that had not been cleaned yet and for the lack of customer service you received from our front desk agent. I hope that once you were able to get into a clean room that you were able to enjoy the remainder of your stay. If you would like to discuss you stay in further detail please don't hesitate to give me a call.

Jeri McInnis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Vermont
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We were visiting the 1000 Islands Region and the Best Western offered a good rate for a room. Upon check-in we were told that our rate would be $10 more than originally quoted on the phone because two of us were staying in the room. The room was okay, Average. The bathroom was incredibly small. Even the sink counter had to be cut at an angle so the toilet would fit. I wish the thermostat would have had a "temperature" setting instead of just high or low cool. The room would go from warm to freezing and then back to warm when we'd try and adjust the temperature to the perfect setting. After four days in the room we still couldn't get it to a perfect setting.
They offered a free breakfast, which I love. Eggs, sausage, home fries, bagels, toast, muffins, waffles and cold cereal. I'd love if they added some flavored creamer to their coffee bar (and splenda).
We didn't utilize the pool on this stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank auggies
jerimcgm, General Manager at Best Western Watertown Fort Drum, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property. I do apologize for the smaller size of our bathrooms and the problems you had regulating the temperature in your room. These are both things that we plan on updating as part of our ongoing renovations. I am very pleased that you were able to take advantage of our free breakfast buffet and appreciate your suggestions for improving it. I hope we will see you on your next visit to Watertown.

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed August 8, 2012

The hotel is nice and the rooms are a good size. The staff was incredibly pleasant upon check-in, which was a plus. They also have DVD players in the rooms and a DVD library at the front desk which was definitely helpful, as I had a tired soldier and needed to stay occupied while he was asleep. The BIG minus for us was that we were on the first floor in the room closest to the lobby. We could hear people coming and going at all hours, which was a bit frustrating. Also, we were right across the hall from the ice machine. Every time someone went out to get ice, we could hear it as though they were getting ice in our room. It was incredibly loud. I would like to stay here again, but I will be sure to request a second floor room away from the ice machine.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room away from the ice machine!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kken2416
jerimcgm, General Manager at Best Western Watertown Fort Drum, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for the review about your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of our DVD library. I do apologize for the inconvenience of your room location but am glad that this will not prevent you from staying with us again. On behalf of our entire staff I would also like to thank your soldier for their service.

General Manager.
South Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I travel to Watertown, NY for business 4-8 nights a month. I had been staying at another hotel for about 2 years in Watertown. I decided to give the Best Western Carriage Inn a try last year. I asked the desk clerk to give me the key to a regular room and to a king suite. Both rooms were clean and spacious. The King Suite was HUGE! Beds were extremely comfortable with the best pillows I've found any where!

I gave a try for a couple of nights that week, and was very happy with my experience there.

For the past year I've stayed over 50 nights and never had a bad experience! The staff is fantastic, right down to the maintenance and housekeeping people. Everybody smiles, says hello, and if they notice you over the course of time, many will learn your name and address you as Mr. (name).

I will say that the actual physical facility is a little dated, but the rooms are always in top shape, the beds are always clean and fresh, and I've not had any issues with hot water or air conditioners.

What makes this facility shine is the staff at the front desk. The management does a great job of bringing in top quality people, and no matter how busy they are always give you 100%, especially when you're road-weary, and want to get checked in!

If you're looking for a good guest experience in Watertown, and don't want to spend the near $200 a night some of the other brands charge, I would encourage you to give Best Western Carriage Inn a try!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Dave Y
Thank you for the outstanding review of our property. I am glad that our staff makes you feel welcome when you are with us and that we are your hotel of choice when staying in Watertown. I also appreciate the wonderful comments about our staff. I will be sharing your review with them so that they know what a great job they are doing.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Although this is an older hotel, staff and ammenities makes up for lack of fancy decor! Rooms clean and comfortable (though bathroom is small). Breakfast items were re-stocked quite often and with the exception of a parent who doesn't think anyone should be bothered with a screaming child, having 5 days of breaksfast was a pleasant experience. The resturant is great and the menu has some incredible offerings: get there prior to 6pm for $5 appetizers-great selection and sure to please. Bar staff and desk staff were extremely professional, courteous and friendly: Ian at the bar and Chris Hess at the front desk were a true delight! Look forward to next trip to the area as I will be staying at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the nice review about your recent stay with us. I am very pleased that our staff and amenities made up for the age of our property and that you were able to enjoy all that we have to offer. I do apologize for the inconsiderateness of some guests but am glad you did not let it ruin your appetite for breakfast. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Excellent hotel with some minor irritants. First one was finding the hotel as there was no road sign at the intersection north of the hotel. The hotel was not wheelchair friendly as there were many stairs between the rooms and the lobby. Breakfast was very good though could use more fruit. Large parking lot.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Christopher W
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I do apologize for the lack of adequate street signage and for the difficulties you experienced with all of our stairs. That is one of the downfalls of being an older property. I am pleased however that you enjoyed your stay with us even with these little inconveniences. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Watertown.

Canada
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Good; If I had to find something good it would be the bed was clean and comfortable. The breakfast room was huge and the food good.
The chambermaids were the only friendly works we found in the whole hotel.
Decent size mini fridge and microwave in the room.

Bad; The building was old and like another post wrote, it resembles and old hospital converted to a hotel. Our room was on the 2nd floor and a beautiful view of a water cesspool and a brick wall, yes a brick wall. (picture will be attached)
The walls were paper thin so we heard the elevator bleep all day, all night.
This hotel is farthest away than any of the others in the town from the shopping & restaurants.
Although the floor was non-smoking the room smelled like at one time it was a smoking room and you could tell - and stale beer went along with it.

Ugly; The bathroom was nasty. Small and the toilet was something out of a 70's old school and every time anyone would flush it they had to put down the lid first - thus you could hear slams from every room. The bathroom was the size of a closet and I am not kidding.
The walls were wallpapered over tiles and I felt like I was in an old trailer. The bathroom was clean however.
The air conditioning in the room was - let's say warm to cool, it never got cold at all. The A/C unit was so old I am not sure how it still chugged along. We would have moved rooms but they said the hotel was sold out, really???

In conclusion it was ok to stay there for a night to sleep but the hotels closer to the freeway and restaurants were cheaper and would be a better bet. Would I stay there again? um...No Way!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank dreamer_in_kw
jerimcgm, General Manager at Best Western Watertown Fort Drum, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank your taking time to write a response about your recent stay with us. I apologize that we were unbale to meet your expectations. We are an older hotel and do have some hurdles because of this which we are working on. I am sorry that the view from your room was of a brick wall and water from a recent rain on one of our entrance roofs. I am glad that you found the facilities clean even though the condition was not acceptable to you.