“Outstanding Customer Service Lives at this hotel!”

Best Western Watertown Fort Drum
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Watertown
South Burlington, Vermont
“Outstanding Customer Service Lives at this hotel!”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I travel to Watertown, NY for business 4-8 nights a month. I had been staying at another hotel for about 2 years in Watertown. I decided to give the Best Western Carriage Inn a try last year. I asked the desk clerk to give me the key to a regular room and to a king suite. Both rooms were clean and spacious. The King Suite was HUGE! Beds were extremely comfortable with the best pillows I've found any where!

I gave a try for a couple of nights that week, and was very happy with my experience there.

For the past year I've stayed over 50 nights and never had a bad experience! The staff is fantastic, right down to the maintenance and housekeeping people. Everybody smiles, says hello, and if they notice you over the course of time, many will learn your name and address you as Mr. (name).

I will say that the actual physical facility is a little dated, but the rooms are always in top shape, the beds are always clean and fresh, and I've not had any issues with hot water or air conditioners.

What makes this facility shine is the staff at the front desk. The management does a great job of bringing in top quality people, and no matter how busy they are always give you 100%, especially when you're road-weary, and want to get checked in!

If you're looking for a good guest experience in Watertown, and don't want to spend the near $200 a night some of the other brands charge, I would encourage you to give Best Western Carriage Inn a try!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Dave Y
jerimcgm, General Manager at Best Western Watertown Fort Drum, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for the outstanding review of our property. I am glad that our staff makes you feel welcome when you are with us and that we are your hotel of choice when staying in Watertown. I also appreciate the wonderful comments about our staff. I will be sharing your review with them so that they know what a great job they are doing.

Jeri McInnis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Although this is an older hotel, staff and ammenities makes up for lack of fancy decor! Rooms clean and comfortable (though bathroom is small). Breakfast items were re-stocked quite often and with the exception of a parent who doesn't think anyone should be bothered with a screaming child, having 5 days of breaksfast was a pleasant experience. The resturant is great and the menu has some incredible offerings: get there prior to 6pm for $5 appetizers-great selection and sure to please. Bar staff and desk staff were extremely professional, courteous and friendly: Ian at the bar and Chris Hess at the front desk were a true delight! Look forward to next trip to the area as I will be staying at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the nice review about your recent stay with us. I am very pleased that our staff and amenities made up for the age of our property and that you were able to enjoy all that we have to offer. I do apologize for the inconsiderateness of some guests but am glad you did not let it ruin your appetite for breakfast. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Excellent hotel with some minor irritants. First one was finding the hotel as there was no road sign at the intersection north of the hotel. The hotel was not wheelchair friendly as there were many stairs between the rooms and the lobby. Breakfast was very good though could use more fruit. Large parking lot.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Christopher W
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I do apologize for the lack of adequate street signage and for the difficulties you experienced with all of our stairs. That is one of the downfalls of being an older property. I am pleased however that you enjoyed your stay with us even with these little inconveniences. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Watertown.

Canada
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Good; If I had to find something good it would be the bed was clean and comfortable. The breakfast room was huge and the food good.
The chambermaids were the only friendly works we found in the whole hotel.
Decent size mini fridge and microwave in the room.

Bad; The building was old and like another post wrote, it resembles and old hospital converted to a hotel. Our room was on the 2nd floor and a beautiful view of a water cesspool and a brick wall, yes a brick wall. (picture will be attached)
The walls were paper thin so we heard the elevator bleep all day, all night.
This hotel is farthest away than any of the others in the town from the shopping & restaurants.
Although the floor was non-smoking the room smelled like at one time it was a smoking room and you could tell - and stale beer went along with it.

Ugly; The bathroom was nasty. Small and the toilet was something out of a 70's old school and every time anyone would flush it they had to put down the lid first - thus you could hear slams from every room. The bathroom was the size of a closet and I am not kidding.
The walls were wallpapered over tiles and I felt like I was in an old trailer. The bathroom was clean however.
The air conditioning in the room was - let's say warm to cool, it never got cold at all. The A/C unit was so old I am not sure how it still chugged along. We would have moved rooms but they said the hotel was sold out, really???

In conclusion it was ok to stay there for a night to sleep but the hotels closer to the freeway and restaurants were cheaper and would be a better bet. Would I stay there again? um...No Way!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank dreamer_in_kw
jerimcgm, General Manager at Best Western Watertown Fort Drum, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank your taking time to write a response about your recent stay with us. I apologize that we were unbale to meet your expectations. We are an older hotel and do have some hurdles because of this which we are working on. I am sorry that the view from your room was of a brick wall and water from a recent rain on one of our entrance roofs. I am glad that you found the facilities clean even though the condition was not acceptable to you.

Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I will start this by saying that I've stayed at far better for a lot less money. It's an old building in need of a lot of work. Initially I thought the building resembled maybe an old hosiptal from the outside so my first impression wasn't great. Check in was less than stellar. The clerk was on the phone giving directions to someone who it sounded like decided not to bother to try and find the place after wasting 5 minutes of mine and the clerks time. As I was waiting an older man walked up to the counter and this is who the clerk decided to help first even though I was there first. The phones were constantly ringing so maybe an extra body would have been helpful. Once check out was complete I pulled my car into the ample parking lot. For all the things the hotel lacked it definitely had ample parking. Upon walking into the hotel throught the 'secure' door that never locked I was greeted by old carpet and cigarette butts on the stairwell. The room was a step up from the stairwell but if the stairwell was a 1 then the room was sadly a 4. The rooms are OLD and in need of some serious TLC. The furniture is dated and even though they've tried to add some modern touches, it looks exactly like that, tried. I will say though that it's nice to have a refrigerator and microwave in the room. That is a nice and unexpected touch. The bathroom is about the size of a photobooth. It's small and I do mean small with the most unfortunate toilet. Never in my life have I seen a toilet that is generally used in public washrooms in a hotel room. The lighting was very poor in the bathroom and the fixtures could use some updating. Also if you stay here maybe bring some ear plugs as you will hear everything that goes on in the hallway and parking lot.

Will I stay here again...no. Will I recommend someone else stay here...no. I'd pay the few bucks extra and stay in one of the newer hotels near the Interstate.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank aveclesfilles
Thank you for submitting a review about your recent stay with us. I am sorry that our property did not meet your expectaions. We are an older hotel which does unfortunately have some downsides, like the size of our bathrooms. We have been working over the past coupe of years to make several updates to our property including all public areas and hallway corridors. The next step for us is our guest rooms and bathrooms. For a property of our size this is a large undertaking and does take considerable time and planning. I have looked into our security doors and did find that one is not latching properly so that is currently being repaired. I apologize again for the the inconveniences you experienced during your stay.

WATERTOWN, NY
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Lots of kids at the hotel with their POORLY BEHAVED PARENTS.. Hotel management allowed the parents to set up folding chairs right outside the hotel. Parents had coolers, stocked with beer & wine and started drinking at 7pm well into the night. We paid $150 for our room. I didn't expect it to be the White Trash hotel. I won't stay here again. Walls are thin. I can hear the girls softball team talking in the room next door. Overpriced, poorly run. How is it possible that management allows drinking right outside of the door on the hotel property???? And they are doing it again tonight WHat about the comfort of all of the other guests at the hotel. There is a bar on the hotel property. With all of the new hotels in Watertown this one is an overpriced BAD choice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank FAMILYTRAVELER F
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your recent stay at our property. I would like to apologize for the lack of courtesy some of our guests showed during your stay. I can assure that we did not okay this behavior and in fact this group was told that they could not be outside drinking in camp chairs and that they were disturbing other guests. Our security staff did finally get the group to break things up, but it did take longer than it should have. I have spoken to my staff since this incident about taking control of this type of situation immediately in the future. We consider our hotel a family friendly establishment and do not want any of our guests to feel uncomfortable when staying with us. I apologize again that this experience has put a bad taste in your mouth for our property and would be happy to make an adjustment to your receipt or discuss this matter further if you would like.

315-782-8000
Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

Not a bad place just not what I was looking forward too. Bad location. Room small. I'm glad I didn't pay full price

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Woodwang
jerimcgm, General Manager at Best Western Watertown Fort Drum, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Thank you for taking time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations for our property. We do have two room suites that are much larger than our standard guest rooms that may have been more to your liking. I apologize that you did not find our downtown location convenient to your needs. I hope you will keep our hotel in mind for future visits to Watertown.

General Manager.