“Also Not Overly Impressed”
Review of The Inn at 81

The Inn at 81
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Watertown
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Pros: Centrally located, clean bathrooms, offer a decent breakfast but a more varied selection of fruit would be nice, large rooms, ample storage, pool.

Cons: Musty smell as soon as you walk into the motel. Rooms smell extremely musty. I stayed in room 146 (my Mom stayed in room 142 which smelled much less musty). Had to purchase an air freshener and keep the a/c running constantly in an attempt to make it less damp and more breathable. Bedding felt damp. I think the owners need to lay on the beds as the mattresses need updating for the king size beds; decor needs updating. My room was located next to an entrance at the back of the building so I heard the exit door slamming through the night and early morning. Bathroom towels were not quality. Shower curtain in room 142 allows water to escape all over the floor because it is too short.

All in all just an ok place to stay. A bit pricey for the quality of the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jennsteele
1traviler, Owner at The Inn at 81, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

I'm sorry you did not have a pleasant stay, I wish we were given the opportunity to help with some of your issues during your stay. All rooms were renovated at the same time, if you were right on the very end of a hall, you were in a pet room. After each stay in that style room, everything is removed up to and including the curtains. the carpets are even steam cleaned , so it is very clean but due to the amount of use all pet rooms mine and others will smell different then a room that pets are not allowed in same as a smoking room, we take care of that problem by not offering any smoking rooms on property. If you did not have a pet and were rented that room, I apologize, we would of moved you asap for your benefit and also there is people waiting on weekends for that style room.

Once again I'm sorry you were not happy with your stay, I hope your next trip to the area is more acceptable.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

My wife and I were in Watertown for a quick shopping trip with an overnight stay. We were not going to be in the hotel other than to sleep, so we just picked an inexpensive hotel.

The room was very musty and felt damp. The towels had a rough feeling to them as if they had been around a little too long. The television was a rather small, old tube version that was on top of the wardrobe cabinet at the other end of the room. The "extra blanket" in the room looked rather warn.

My wife, who typically likes to sleep in was so dissatisfied with the room that she was up and showered before 7:00am and wanted to leave.

I think this place is geared more towards traveling workers (construction, railroad, etc) as there were a number of work trucks and equipment in the parking lot. We won't be staying at this place again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank StefanLisa
1traviler, Owner at The Inn at 81, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Thank you for your review, I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay. Yes we do welcome all types of travelers and because of what the property offers in the lines of, guest laundry, large continental breakfast , ample parking and free wifi for a few examples not to mention our very low rates compared to the market, make us a very good choice for people that need to be in town working. I check rooms almost everyday, all of our TVs are located on or in the dresser in front of the beds, I'm sorry if a prior guest may of moved the room around to there needs and it was not caught by our staff. I will be sure that every room is checked for this today. As far as the laundry we use a minimum count linen, which is the same if not over the requirements for some of the higher tier hotels. I have called our laundry service to check the chemical injectors and they are all at optimal levels for operation. I have also checked and housekeeping is following there linen disposal rotation. I once again am sorry we could not meet your needs, and hope your next stay is more enjoyable with whichever hotel you choose to stay with.

Matthew R. Paul

Reviewed August 8, 2012

We stayed here for two nights over the Ontario Civic Holiday week-end. The hotel is well located, clean as can be, rooms are well appointed with easy access internet - comfortable bed and mini frig and microwave, desk and comfy chairs - the staff here are helpful and very friendly. Breakfast was very good - lots to choose from and the best bagels we have had in ages - I would like to personally say thank you to the hotels Assistant GM - Cindy - for a well run, friendly and spotless environment. We will definitely return...this is really a good value place to stay....so, will also check out other Americas Best Value Inns as we travel the USA.

Room Tip: They have a nice outdoor pool as well and a newly opened Italian restaurant next to the Inn.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marleyandmike
1traviler, Owner at The Inn at 81, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

The hotel can only offer so much, its the entire staff that makes your stay enjoyable. Cindy is a great person and I'm glad you got to meet her. Cindy holds herself and her staff to high levels of professionalism, while making the guess still feel at home, its not an easy task. The hotel as a whole is lucky to have the team that it does. I thank you for your stay and look to seeing you again when you come back.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

The first room we were given had such a musty odor! I asked for and we were given another room. It was only a little better. We could not find another hotel room anywhere in the area. We were part of a big softball tournament for the weekend and everything was booked. I already take daily allergy meds and my sinuses felt like they were pulsing the whole time I was in the room - as soon as I left for our events, my head felt better.
This room was supposedly handicap accessible. The sink in the bathroom was open to allow a wheelchair, the toilet was raised and the door to the bath had a double door. Thank goodness it wasn't an impediment for us; someone in a wheelchair would have a hard time maneuvering around in this regular size bath with a few amenities. It had a bath tub rather than an accessible shower although it had support bars and a second lower shower head. The bathroom sink top was new but everything else about the room was old, worn and not quite clean (hair in the shower, etc.) A/C worked but loud and only worked if set below 68 degrees; the whole room felt damp. Breakfast was OK but poorly organized. The only bright spots were the very comfortable mattresses, the location and the staff was friendly and polite.

1  Thank njpMOM

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay, to be honest up until now everyone is very happy with our handicap rooms. The thing that most people compliment on, is the double doors and also that they are quite a bit larger then our other bathrooms. The hotel did and is still going through a major renovations, all carpeting , walls, furniture and bedding are less then a year old some being only months old, I have notice with this crazy summer and the record breaking heat that at times when not only is it very hot but we are experiencing 90-100% humidity that there is a "heavy" smell in the air, but this is nothing more then would happen to a closed up house in the same circumstances.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed at this motel over the July 21st weekend (it was fully booked) with another family. I was a little worried when I realized my room was next door to a yappy dog (pets are allowed here). Fortunately, I didn't hear it once. We kept our air conditioner/fan on the whole time & it drowned out the noise. Our room was clean and spacious and even had a mini fridge which came in very handy. The beds were comfortable too.

The pool was finally open and our kids were very happy about that (although it was FREEZING water). It gave them and their dads something to do while the moms went shopping. The service was fantastic - friendly and accommodating. We had booked for us and another family and were given 2 rooms on different floors. When we got there, they switched it up, put us on the same floor, and we were only 3 rooms away from each other.

The continental breakfast was very good (better than many I've seen) and the "dining" space was clean and bright. The only down side was the organization of the space. It kept people waiting in a line up for things they didn't need and kept others from getting to what they did need. For instance, the cereal was on one counter while the milk was on the other. Probably because they wanted to keep the milk with the other beverages. But it made it difficult to get back and forth. If they were to move the cereal stand to the drink counter it would open up more room and allow the waffle maker to be moved over so people could actually get at the microwave & the toaster. The toaster was shoved in the corner so next to impossible to get to and the bagles/bread/eng muffins were on the other side of the waffle maker which caused even more confusion. And the bowls and plates were ON TOP of the microwave where people could not get to them. If they were moved over with the cutlery it would be more accessible. Hopefully these suggestions will be taken into consideration to make for a MUCH more efficient breakfast time.

All in all, it was a great value for what we got and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The hallway in the main part of the building was musty but the others smelled fine (we were in room...
1  Thank Marcie O

Hello, and thank you very much for the input, you definitely know how to "flow" people and not cause the dreaded bottle neck. Yes between set up error and others moving stuff around all morning that continental breakfast area can get tossed around quite a bit, your suggestions were very helpful and are being used as training outlines now. . I think the biggest issue I have is that most budget hotels just offer the minimum or nothing but coffee so guests tend to grab and go, by offering our guests over 20 items they tend to hang out longer and enjoy "breakfast" so on busy mornings that area does get tight. Thank you again for your feed back and you know what that pool was down right frigged when I tried it, happens in the upstate, our weather is crazy sometimes.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

I was very impressed with this location, room was comfortable and beds were comfortable. The Internet worked very well. The continental breakfast was good. I will stay with my family again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Well, thank you for the review, they do help quite a bit, I use them myself. We hope too see you again, next time your in the area.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

We picked this hotel over the others in the area because of price. Under $100 a night in the summer is a bargain anywhere. We stayed four nights in an "executive suite" room. It had a small refrigerator and microwave. The room was large- king size bed and a sitting area. We had friends in a standard room and after seeing how small it was we were glad we chose the larger room. We found it generally clean but the cleaning staff missed the top of the TV dresser with their duster. The lack of a waste paper basket at the desk area was a little irritating. This hotel underwent a facelift recently, but you can tell it was not an all out renovation. For instance, the bathroom had a nice new stone vanity top but the fixtures were poor quality. The shower surround was new but the controls were old. The A/C in our room worked well and looked new. The staff was pleasant enough- Tim, the night clerk was very friendly, but the girl on the day shift seemed overwhelmed.

They offer a continental breakfast and complimentary beer & wine in the evenings, but we did not partake of either. The pool looked inviting and the grounds, though not exactly garden like, were none the less well maintained.

Bottom line is if you need to save some money this hotel is not a bad choice

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for the review. Yes we are a budget minded hotel. We like to think our guests get more then your moneys worth then you would at most economy stays. We do offer, a small work out area, free wifi, a very large continental breakfast, outdoor pool, guest laundry, and for the most part I'm at least $50 under everyone else. Also on property we have Ricardo's restaurant, serving a home cooked northern Italian menu, you may dine inside or on our patio.

Thanks again