“a place in paradise!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Glacis
Mahe Island, Seychelles
“a place in paradise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

My girlfriend and i recently had the pleasure to visit the hotel establishment through a wedding which was organized there. The place is a magnificent place to be with the settings - bar and restaurant overlooking the beach. We were amazed by the nice ambiance and set up ideal for honeymooners and indeed a distinct place of hide away for a couple. We enjoyed the nice buffet being offered of which depicted the exquisite creole cuisine with the sound of creole music playing.
We were quite amazed by the service being offered by the charming and friendly local staff.
Situated on the northern side of Mahe makes it an ideal place to witness the wonderful scenery of the sunset hence why the name of the hotel. This place is surely a place in paradise to be and one which is certainly a place we will remember.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jeanFrancoisAdeline

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for five nights. We were very impressed by the very fun and friendly staff, beautiful environment, the design of the hotel and its interior and decoration. We found the open air restaurant and sunken bar area wonderful and comfortable. The breakfast buffe a delight with plenty of choices. A huge bonus was also the cute beach with good snorkelling just down a set of stairs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank seahorsesusie
Hayling Island, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

I'll start by giving the location and the physical design of the hotel and the friendly charming helpful staff 6 stars and then work backwards from there ...

We arrived at 9am after a very long flight from the UK, but were not given the breakfast we had paid for because 'there was nothing left'

Given a superb room (Junior Suite), wife fell in love with the location. So when I discovered that our 'queen' bed was 2 singles lashed together with a hard ridge down the middle, she said never mind we'll put up with it but I made a note to roast the hotel management on TripAdvisor for not warning/apologising and/or offering a choice of rooms.

The room was pleasant, but there was noweher confortable to sit. The seating area comprised a set of soft cushions on a concrete base - numb bum was the inevitable result.

Another note to the management - I'm accustomed to being able to put a sign on the door saying 'I am going out now you can clean the room if you like', and otherwise not being disturbed. The cleaners had a brilliant knack of knocking on the door when we were (a) having a nap (b) gone to bed (9.45pm after a long tiring day) or (c) in the bath. This is just damned stupid.

I'm not a health and safety nut, but even I was angered when I put a foot in one of the trenches in the concrete path to our room one night, bruising my foot sufficiently that putting a shoe on is still painful 2 weeks later. Thankfully the shoe suffered all the abrasions from the sharp concrete edges, so the shoe is ruined but my foot is intact. Another black mark for the management, I'm afraid.

The servicing of the room was haphazard, which is inexcusable when a simple checklist and a few random checks would keep things straight - random charging for minibar supplies, no variety in or replenishment of the tea/coffee supplies (glad we were untrusting about this and had brought our own), only 2 clothes hangers in the wardrobe, safe sometimes didn't work so we kept our valuables locked in the suitcase.

Summary - a couple of major insults and a range of minor annoyances, all totally unnecessary. Will we go back? Yes if we hear that the management has been replaced.

Room Tip: Forget the junior suite, the extra space is worthless. Make sure you get the bed you paid for!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank steve_snorkelfan
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

we got married here. the bungalows on the beach are so amazing and romantic. the food is exceptional. the bungalows by the pool did have roaches behind the bath.
the staff were helpful and curtious.
it is very expensive so bring a full wallet.
dont venture out into victoria, its very run down and poor, and we felt very alien there and nearly got lost.
was the best holiday weve ever had and will ever likely to have.
the sea is bright blue and warm, the sand hot and golden. We went in decemeber for xmas and it is tornado season which werent told about, but it only rained in the evenings and 11 out of 13 days it was blistering sunshine.
worth the money, apart from the roaches.

Room Tip: bungalows by the beach are better. they even deliver room service out to them :)
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mrs D
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

We were there at the end of May (a bit too windy by the way, I would advise to go earlier).
The good things were: the hotel was mostly ok, located beside a nice snorkeling beach, nice room, nice swimming pool and general setting, nice breakfast, you can hire a car directly from them.

And now the bad things.
They say they have free snorkelling equipment, but the fact is they only have some flins if you are lucky to find your number, no snorkelling masks at all. If you want a mask you can do so for 5euros at a diving place close to the hotel, but it's a bit of a hike to get there.
Nobody checks the hired cars at their return and nobody does any maintenance on them.
The staff who was supposed to brush the outdoor floors outside rooms was sitting about reading newspapers.
Internet connection is really expensive, there is an internet point not too far.
The big downfall of this hotel was the restaurant as we booked half board.
The restaurant is open from 8 to 10pm, we were normally early, but one night we went for dinner at 9pm and the waitress seemed in a hurry and annoied. We sat on a table that was just used by another couple and the waitress started to put on dishes and cutlery without changing the dirty tableclothes. I had to ask her to change it.
I am coeliac (gluten intolerant: cannot eat flour, bread...) and they were made aware of it since our booking, at our arrival they seemed willing to accomodate but as they have only set menus and I could not eat the starter (soup containing flour) the staff didn't offer me an alternative. The dinner was already on the small side and it was a bit awkard that only one of us was eating. One night I was served a roll of bread and soup with flour in spite of me asking every night to the waitress to check the ingredients. When the soup came and I asked again to a different waitress and she said that yes, there was flour in it, I said I couldn't eat it, she took it away rolling her eyes. Obviously nobody informed the staff of that diet requirement and she didn't know that is a medical requirement and not a lifestyle choice.
Nobody was even aware that we were on honeymoon.
Unfortunately we had most of the problems toward the end of the holiday, otherwise we would have spoke to Peggy, a lovely lady that seemed to be in charge of certain management aspects, as she was always professional and helpful. The other only person that we found really helpful was Norcy, the breakfast cook, who made crepes (with the flour I gave him) with chocolate especially for me. A special thanks to him; but I definitely would not recommend this hotel, or at least not half board. We have been treated a lot better on other hotels of the same levels in Praslin and La Digue. I really wanted to go there and we didn't listen to the travel agent advice and I regret that.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank antheablu

Travelers are raving about these Glacis hotels

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed at Sunset Beach for a week during Oct 2012 & had a wonderful time. The resort is perfect for couples who just want to relax and snorkel. The food was great and the views spectacular. Just remember that men need to wear long pants at dinner.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms closest to the dining room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Warren278
Bilbao, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

It is a beautifully located hotel with a wonderful atmosphere. The adjacent beach is just lovely, peaceful and quiet (I had a look at about seven beaches around and this one was the nicest).
I suppose it would be a great choice for the honeymoon or a romantic getaway.
Room service was to die for!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trvlgrll
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glacis
Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa
Constance Ephelia
Constance Ephelia
#6 of 36 in Mahe Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,253 reviews

Been to Sunset Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!