“Pure Bliss”

Bliss Hotel Seychelles
Ranked #1 of 3 Glacis B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 25, 2012

We spent two weeks of holidays at a Hillside room in July 2011. It was absolutely wonderful. The room was beautifully designed, spacious and came with a lovely terrace. Although located on the Hillside, as opposed to the Seaside which is right on the beach, it had an amazing view on the ocean and sunset. Breakfast and afternoon tea were served on a patio in the shade. We particularly enjoyed the delicious homemade cakes and snacks the kitchen staff surprised guests with every day. The staff at the reception were very welcoming, friendly and always happy to help us out with any questions, or planning day trips across the Mahé island. Especially the Beau Vallon area has fun beaches, nice restaurants, and it's nearby. Also make sure to try the hotel spa, which is located at Seaside. We enjoyed an incredibly relaxing couples massage after a sandy day at the beach, with the sun going down and sound of the waves breaking, leaving us completely invigorated for a night at restaurant "Lounge 8" (huit). Admittedly, this restaurant is a little pricy but it is conveniently located right next to the hotel and the drinks and great fusion-style food make it worth while. In sum, Bliss is just the perfect holiday destination for couples and we would definitely go there again one day.

Room Tip: Although the Seaside rooms are stunning, the rooms at Bliss Hillside with ocean view are just as bea...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Katherine0904

Reviewed January 8, 2012

We did not want a resort style holiday so searched for boutique style without an entertainment programme. Bliss is wonderful, situated right on a small beach with great snorkelling, the hotel is beautifully designed, a little worn but still stunning. Our room, the Wave suite is huge and has balcony direct on to beach, breakfast is served on here. Nothing better than waking up to this. The staff are discrete and polite, the in-house food is really tasty. You are left to your own to chill out on the sun loungers dotted around, or dip into the natural rock pool. The garden rooms on the other side of the road look nice but some are still being built as is the swimming pool. Not that you need a pool when you have the Indian ocean at your feet. Our 7 year old didn't miss it. Tip take ear plugs if the sound of surf keeps you awake at night and don't forget your snorkel! The Buddhist themed restaurant next door called 8 was not to my taste, very bland. Get a bus or drive the 4km to Beau Vallon and try La Plage for lobster or Boat house for creole buffet. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Any ocean view room in main hotel looked stunning. Wave room fantastic
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 25, 2011

We stayed for 4 nights on Bliss Seaside at the end of our honeymoon. The pool was under renovation. The staff did not inform us until we asked about access on day 2 and they made no attempt to make up for it. Our other hotel in Praslin island also coincidentally had pool renovation and provided 3 free high-end dinners and informed us upon arrival. This type of service is a key differentiator. Assuming renovation is complete at Bliss when you travel there, here are the fundamental pro's and con's:
PRO & CON of Staff: Several staff are very warm and attentive and you should spot them when you arrive to know how to get things you need. Some specific staff lack interest in solving requests and almost seem like they are trying to get avoid extra work. It is a pity because the ones who are attentive are very kind and go the extra mile, but their efforts are counter balanced by the others.
CON: Staff was not able to recommend ideas on the island outside of a short list of options already located in the room (1 excursion option per day). On a rainy day, a lack of options can be detrimental. We actually came up with the option to go to CERF ISLAND and spend the day at a great resort, which tends to get better weather than the main island. This is a good alternative for a rainy day, and in our opinion, any day. I am not sure why the staff there didn't recommend this. We did it on our last 2 days in Mahe and went to the airport straight from CERF ISLAND RESORT.
PRO: View from seaside rooms is great. The rooms themselves are zen-like and natural with large windows. Eating breakfast each morning on the room's balcony was fantastic.
CON: The beach is not very attractive to layout or swim in. It is very small and has large boulders. Also, the location of the hotel is not very good relative to the rest of the island if you don't have a car. If you do have a car, then you should be ok, although Bliss is in the north of the island whereas the better areas tend to be in the central and southern part of the island.
CON: If it rains, a lot of rainwater is drained from the mountain through the middle of the hotel beach into the ocean. This leaves a residue of sand and rocks for many hours after the rain stops.
CON: There is only 1 restaurant in the area. It is a very cool Buddha style modern lounge with good food and drinks, although way over priced. There is nothing else in walking distance, so you have to taxi, drive or take the bus, which is inconvenient on relaxing island holidays.
PRO & CON: The waves can be clearly heard in the rooms throughout the night. I liked that, although my wife could not sleep. This is a subjective point.
Note: TV is not connected to anything except the DVD player.
CONCLUSION: The view is fabulous, but the location on the island is not great. I would not recommend this as a honeymoon spot if you can afford to stay at a resort closer to the central or southern parts of the island. I would recommend staying here for 1-2 nights on transition from the main island (Mahe) to another island where you should spend most of your trip.

Room Tip: Seaside, but not next to reception as the balcony is not private enough and the shower is outside ne...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JubinM
Reviewed December 25, 2011

We spent some days here during the xmas holidays in December 2010. At the beginning we had some trouble because something happened to our room and they had to move us in a different hotel for a night, but the staff was able to handle it very well and the rest of our staying was great.
The location is charming and peaceful, with a small, nice beach just out of the rooms.
You can sleep hearing the sound of the sea waves.
The style of the furniture is natural and sophisticated.
The staff was always extremely kind and supportive and they also upgraded us in a better room, with a little terrace where we were used to have breakfast every morning.
If you would like to spend some special, romantic days in a paradise ... Try it!!!

Room Tip: Bliss Sea side Room n.1: wonderful!!!
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I first stayed at this hotel in 1990 when it was called the Vista Bay Club Hotel or it’s alternative name Vista do Mar. After falling into disrepair during the late 90s, the hotel was purchased by a Belgian company, renamed Bliss Hotel and radically refurbished in a natural style with emphasis on blending into the environment with the incorporation of local materials so as to reduce impact on the beauty of it’s situation. The hotel comprises two locations, one on the sea side of the coast road (Bliss Seaside) and the other on the hillside opposite (Bliss Hillside or Secret Garden). Both hotels are run by the same office/reception in the Seaside building. On the seaside the luxury premium rooms have direct access to the hotel private beach via a balcony and steps and enjoy unparalleled and uninterrupted views of the Indian Ocean. On the Hillside the premium rooms also enjoy views across the road and toward the Ocean. Further up the hill a number of smaller rooms nestle in the shade of the luxuriant garden environment. All the rooms have balconies or terraces and en suite facilities, comfortable and civilised bathrooms with air conditioning and a small refrigerator. The hotel continues to be refurbished but is being completed from the lower rooms upward so that work in progress does not impact on the guest’s comfort. Eventually the freshwater swimming pool will be reopened up the hillside. Breakfast is served on a dedicated terrace on the hillside shaded by trees or may be brought to your room. Seaside breakfasts are served in rooms. There is a balcony on the seaside available to all guests (as is the beach) with lounging area which connects to a seawater plunge pool open to tide but not direct to the sea. Afternoon tea or coffee/iced tea and cake is laid out on the breakfast terrace. Room service of light but substantial snacks can be had during most of the day but evening meals of exquisite cuisine are available in the Buddha 8 bar adjacent to the Seaside building run by a separate company. Above this restaurant is a chill out lounge/terrace with dedicated bar service and lounging beds/couches also enjoying unrestricted sea views. The hotel has a spa area where massage and treatments relaxing in the sound of the surf on the beach beneath will assuage the most stressed of travellers. The hotel is not suitable for disabled guests and children are not encouraged (which would raise it to 5 star rating in my opinion) About 100 metres North of the hotel is another tree fringed public beach which is friendlier to swimmers though both beaches are ideal for snorkeling. A bus stop immediately outside the hotel provides a 10 minute ride to the shallow and calmer Beau Vallon Bay and another 10 minutes to the capital Victoria. What to take? At least factor 30 sunblock. It gets very bright and swimmers are rapidly burned after as little as 10 minutes exposure. A stout knife to get the husk off of the coconuts which litter the beach and a spiky thing if you want to drink the milk inside.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FrankUnitedkingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2011

After reading so many good reviews about this hotel, I decided to stay here with my wife for two nights. I should say, I am very disappointed. To start with, once I reached the hotel I was not shown to my room and instead the receptionist started talking about the taxi fare and how it will be included in my bill

Then, I was taken to my room only to find that it was not ready. It was hot because the air conditioner was switched off. There was no telephone in my room. On request they changed my room to the one on the seaside. This room had its door right near the roadside. There is absolutely no security for the guests staying in rooms near the seaside.

Although the interiors of the rooms were extremely beautiful and so was the complimentary Hamam and Jacuzzi that we got from the hotel. There is a restaurant called Buddha Lounge right next to the hotel. DO NOT GO THERE. The french lady who managed the hotel did not really make us feel comfortable with the food selection and the costs.

Bottom Line - I dont think this hotel is worth a stay for couples. I would recommend spending extra and staying at the Hilton on Mahe Island because we stayed at the Hilton Labriz on Silhoutte Island and loved every second of our stay.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hilton or Le Meridien
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank RajChoudhry
Reviewed June 22, 2011

I totally loved The Bliss...form the very moment I saw the view from the room I fell in love with the place. I was upgraded to a junior suite, bed is facind the ocean , one confortable chaise longue in the room , double sink and huge shower with a window over the beach in the bathroom(yes, you can close the curtains!) I liked the decor, the hard and dark floor, the little refreshment given upon arrival and the breakfast served on your own private terrace; the building is fashinating, totally rebuilt and renovated, and you can acces a small beach just by going downstairs...don't expect too calm water as it is facing open water...and subject to tides..but it gives it this wild feeling I really loved ...
You can experience excellent food and surprise menus at the annexed restaurant lounge eight, not cheap but definitely worth for a fancy evening (Seychelles are all about charme!) . The staff were nice and kind... and very helpful.
Only thing I did not like were the services dealing with the hotel, especially the car rental company; I rented three cars during my stay and theirs was by far the worst(small dahiatsu terios) and the most expensive... I suggest you get your car at the airport as it is easy to bargain a little... I was also totally overcharged on the petrol refill... anyway , it did not spoil my stay at the Bliss, will definitely go back and highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Visit and explore Mahe, by far the most amazing!
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glacis
Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa
Sunset Beach Hotel
Sunset Beach Hotel
#3 of 3 in Glacis
Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort & Spa
Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort ...
#1 of 1 in Silhouette Island

Been to Bliss Hotel Seychelles? Share your experiences!