“Not a five star feel”

Kempinski Seychelles Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Baie Lazare
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Doesn't feel like you are in a five star property. Staff is not well versed with the property and it's services.
The food options are highly limited. Just two restaurants, that too with limited menu and weird timings, imagine a five star hotel that doesn't serve pizza. It has only a one page in room dining menu. Rooms are terribly small. The beach has too many corals. We found spiders, ants and lizards in our room.

However the hotel is over all clean and the staff staff is very friendly. If you are looking for a five star experience this is not the place to be.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank chartered1
JeanMarcMichel, Resident Manager at Kempinski Seychelles Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing with us your feeling during your stay with us
By reading your comments, we took action related to the food observation and service revising the room. We do apologize for this.

Thank you for the positive comments about the friendliness of our Team Members
I truly hope that will give us the opportunity to hosting you again at Kempinski Seychelles Resort.

Warmest Regards,

Geatano Petruzzella

Write a ReviewReviews (1,649)

Reviewed May 18, 2014

We stayed here one night on our way back to Europe from another Island Resort. On the heels of that exceptional hotel the Kempinski has a lot to learn. We should have been picked up from the airport by hotel drivers but they didn't know where our flight had landed.

Once they found us we were on our way and at the hotel around 5:00 pm. As we pulled into the portico there was no bellman or staff to greet us or help with the bags. We stood at the bell mans desk for five minutes until a man shuffled over in flipflops and asked us if we were checking in!?! Seriously? The hotel driver picked us up, they should know that along with our names and greet us. He then put our bags on a cart and took us over to some couches to sit and wait for someone from reception to come over. So we waited and waited for about forty minutes. Another family with a small baby were left in the same predicament. Totally unacceptable! It is the evening and checkout occurs usually much earlier so why the delay in checking in???

Finally my husband went over to the desk and got someone from guest services to call someone to reception. By this point we were tired, hungry and wanting to get settled so that we could make our flight the next morning. We were driven to the end of the sort and shown two rooms on tow separate levels, not ideal for a family......

Then off to dinner. This is a large complex, not sure how many rooms total but big. It feels a bit US motel - ish from the outside architecture no personal touch, one of a crowd going thru. The first restaurant was a buffet type thing so we carried on to the other ala carte restaurant. The first staff member who saw of browsing the menu was a rather aggressively helpful European. We were than seated by a local lad who really wanted to put us outside but we wanted to eat inside. The food was okay but nothing special to warrant the prices which are completely out of wack for the quality of food and service! At one point I had to pour our water as he had disappeared to fawn over some local client.

Or rooms were nice, relatively clean with the exception being that my daughters room smelled of damp, ( being on the ground floor?). And had a dehumidifier running when we walked in. As we had no face cloths in our bathroom I had to steal one from my daughter's room to wash may face. The bed was comfortable and the coffee machine in room is nice but is placed very inconveniently on the desk where one has to also dry ones hair. Awkward. The rooms and decor are nice, but smallish if you are going to stay more than a night or two. Also the pool area looked pretty small for the number of rooms and guests so I can imagine it is pretty crowded.

Overall I would not want to come back here as it feels as though it is catering to the masses......

Room Tip: Try and get an upstairs room as I feel the ground floor rooms suffer from damp.....
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank marlena m

Dear Guest,

We regret to hear that some of the aspects of your one night stay have not been up to your expectations. We would like to hereby assure you that your comments have been taken into consideration and have been shared with our relevant departments for actions.
We would be delighted to welcome you back in our resort and create a better experience.

Gaetano Petruzzella

Reviewed May 5, 2014

We spent 9 nights with my family (husband + 3 year old son + my best friend) at the Kempinski Seychelles Resort in February, 2014. We have seen many hotels around the world, and now this hotel became one of our favourite!
SURROUNDINGS:
The Hotel is situated in a very nice bay, between granite stones and tropical garden around.
ROOMS:
We booked a deluxe garden view room, and we were really satisfied with it. It was spacious, clean, and had beautiful view to the granite stones, and tropical vegetation. We loved it!
FOOD:
Can not understand the guest who did not like the food here, because it was amazing! We are from Europe, do not like indian cousine, were a little bit scared about what to eat, but these worries just gone at the first evening. We were on half board, and the food was very-very good every night! Once we got in touch with the chef, who is from Indonesia, and worked for many great hotels, before, and all we can say, is, we congratulate to him, he really did a good job! Food is extremely good in this hotel, believe me! The half board is great, but if someone would like to eat sg else, he could choose nice dinner from a'la carte, also. So once again, our advice to the management: work on to keep this Chef at Kempinski, he worths his money!
KIDS CLUB:
The ladies in the Kids Club did a very good job, also. My son loved Sheila, and the others, they really took care for the kids.
BEACH:
Probably this is the weakest point of the hotel. The ocean is full os seaweed and coral here, so it is impossible to swim a good, in the ocean. It should be worked on it, the seaweed should be rarefy. But from our point, we are the travelers, who just like to see the ocean/sea, smell it, sit near to it, and then swim in the pool....:-) but the seaweed makes the ocean like a lake, not a beautiful sight.

All in all I can recommend this hotel to everyone, who would like to have some relaxation between beautiful surroundings, and who would like to eat georgeous food! Congrats to the management!

Room Tip: I think garden view rooms are better, try to choose one near to the Reception.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank mvik77
JeanMarcMichel, General Manager at Kempinski Seychelles Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Dear Hukli11,

Thank you for taking some of your valuable time to post your review on Tripadvisor and for sharing your comments about your stay in February at the Kempinski Seychelles Resort.

We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed staying with us. It is wonderful to hear we were able to make your stay unforgettable from the moment you arrived to the moment you departed and we had exceeded your expectations.

We are grateful you took the time to specify the highlights of your trip: the quality of food and beverages, the buffets, the grounds, our comfortable room, our kid’s clubs activity and, especially our friendly and efficient Team Members. It is always motivating to receive comments like yours, please be sure that I have shared your nice comments with the rest of the team and will let them know that they were part of your happiness.

Thank you once again for the opportunity you have given us and for recommending us; we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Warmest regards from Seychelles,

Reviewed May 4, 2014

I found myself accommodated in the same room as a year ago, and, apart from the distance - I still prefer to stay in the block nearest to the main building but the resort was fully booked during my the week I was there - I was a happy customer once more. Everything in the room worked, enough hangers in the wardrobe, a fully stocked tray of Dimah teas - I opted to use my own brand though I travel with wherever I go - creamer, sweetener and a fridge stocked with beers, sodas and water, ON THE HOUSE though a refill then becomes a chargeable item.
While I do not spend much time in bed, I nevertheless tested the pillows, feather light and moulding themselves around the head, and the duvets, light and yet warm enough to stand the cool stream of air circulating in the room when the a/c is running.
My room layout was that of a junior suite, perfect surely for a couple to enjoy the indoors as much as the outdoors of the resort but equally of course for a solo traveller able to put the feet up on the extra wide sofa.
Chef Christian Meinhardt has since last year's visit - and his impressive performance with his Egg Benedict creations - transferred to the Kempinski in Dubai but by and large was the quality of the food unchanged under the new regime. I never did meet the new Executive Chef though in person. The bread and pastry selection remains very impressive but then so are the spread of tropical fruits, the cold cuts and the hot dishes. The regular breakfast chef Raphael graduated his Egg Benedict class admirably and his evening counterparts at the live cooking station produced some tasty creations, supplemented by a buffet which left few choices open. Don't forget to try the soup, which every night was a quintessential item on my personal menu.
The gardens in the resort continue to impress and the nature walks bring visitors close up with plants and birds, an activity which comes highly recommended. Thanks to everyone on the Kempinski team who went out of their way, again, to make my stay memorable.

And on a personal note, there are times during the day and the evening when the electric carts are much in demand and when walking to the centrally located restaurants and main lounge and bar may be advisable over standing and growing roots.

Room Tip: Ocean facing rooms have their advantages over the rooms facing the forest but then so do rooms neare...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
JeanMarcMichel, General Manager at Kempinski Seychelles Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear Safariafficionado,

Our deepest desire is to guarantee the full satisfaction of our guests that is why we greatly appreciate your encouraging review on your returning stay at Kempinski Seychelles Resort.
We will certainly not fail to congratulate our amazing Team Members for their contribution to your well being while staying at our resort that had made your stay a memorable moment.

Comments like yours are a great source of motivation for all our team, to hear that you liked every aspect of your stay, from the professionalism and attentiveness of our Team Members to the variety of our gastronomy and our excellent and comfortable accommodations.

It is great to hear that you are already recommending us! I sincerely hope that you had a comfortable journey back home and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Sunny regards from the Seychelles,

Reviewed May 4, 2014

As I was on a business trip I didn't have to look at the bill so it is unfair to comment on value for money suffice to say it is expensive so it should be good. That said there was a mix up with the expenses and I was almost charged double. I thought the beach was a little disappointing in terms of cleanliness (but then The Seychelles spoils you for great beaches) but also the 'fencing off' at one end for the owners to have their own private section. The pool was nice, not great but accomodation is a very high standard, the resort is generally well managed, food is largely very good although some days were better than others. Events and games are organised which would have been great had I not been working.

Room Tip: Beach view rooms are best.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Dear Beaks21,

We appreciate all of our guests’ comments and suggestions regarding our services and facilities, as they help us to increase our ambition to achieve top quality service delivery to our entire guests. We would also like to express our most sincere gratitude for the kind review you have shared on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased to read that you truly enjoyed your stay with us, even though it was for business and that you took advantage of all the services that we offer. Thank you for highlighting the cleanness and comfort of our room, our housekeeping Team ensures that our entire guest feels comfortable. I have shared you kind comments with our Chef in regards to your appreciation of food that was serving.

On behalf of our Team Members, we would like to thank you once again for your preference and we hope you will give us another chance to host you in the near future for leisure.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Stayed recently with partner and 10 year old son for 7 nights and the island although beautiful has not had long enough in the service sector to be at par with other beautiful parts of the world e.g Barbados ,the staff although very nice and friendly are inept on times and after many times of the same simple requests being made ,your patience eventually gets tested and the "Lovely Smile" isn,t suffice !!
As for the other comments on here about the food ,the food is on the whole good but the choice for lunch is limited and never changes and the buffet is hit and miss ,the other problem is if you want a alternative you most certainly can,t walk to a different option ,it,s a taxi ride ,
The pool is one choice and long and skinny and ok .
Kids club for a ten year old is non existent ,the entertainment is lame ,to sum up it,s not all bad but for me the Kempinski and even the Seychelles will not see me agian for many years at least .

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank michaelgriffiths

Dear Michael Griffiths,

Thank you for allowing us the honor to host your vacations and for taking the time to share your recent experience at Kempinski Seychelles Resort. On behalf of our Management and Team Members we would like to let you know that it was a great honor to have had the chance to serve you and your family.

We are honored to read that you really had a great time, taking advantage of our facilities and enjoying this paradisaical location but I regret to hear of the disappointing aspect of your stay which did not meet your expectation. The issue that you brought to our attention are important to us and are being addressed, so that we can make adjustment where necessary accordingly.
We appreciate that you have taken the time to acknowledge the efforts of our dedicated Team Members and our gastronomy, which are some of our prime pillar of our resort.

We hope that you will continue to give us the pleasure of hosting you for your next vacations, as we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Sunny regards from the Seychelles,

Reviewed April 25, 2014

This is the place if you wish to be 100% sure your lunch will be over the TOP , the BBQ was just perfect, the wine selection super. Really it’s a wonderful place; glad I went and would definitely recommend it for everyone
I was extremely surprised by the great quality of service. Super friendly staff, served with a smile. Andree is really a great host, with an eye for detail. Marieke at the guest relations was also very helpfully and gives us all the information we needed. So many details which made our visit sooo Perfect, that is impossible to mention all of them
This is a brilliant hotel in a great location, the beach is just perfect.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Crutzie

Dear Crutzie,

Thank you for your kind review shared here on Tripadvisor. On behalf of the Team Members I would like to let you know that it was a great honor to have served you on the occasion of the Easter Day for our Family BBQ.

We appreciate your nice words on our beautiful and impeccable facilities, delicious food and especially to our great and friendly Team Members. This will certainly motivate our team to continue delivering the best service to all our customers! It is always very rewarding to receive such compliments as we strive to ensure that every guest leaves with great satisfaction.

We hope that you will continue to give us the pleasure of hosting you again, as we look forward to welcoming you back again to our resort.

Jean-Marc Michel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Baie Lazare
Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa
Le Meridien Fisherman's Cove
Banyan Tree Seychelles
Coral Strand Smart Choice Hotel Seychelles
DoubleTree by Hilton Seychelles Allamanda Resort & Spa
AVANI Seychelles Barbarons Resort & Spa

Been to Kempinski Seychelles Resort? Share your experiences!