“Impeccable service. Sub-par food.”

Four Seasons Resort Seychelles
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Baie Lazare
Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

We have been staying at this resort for the past few days as part of our honeymoon. Everything has been great - service and attention to detail is amazing.

But unfortunately the food was just quite sub par for the most part. Breakfast was so-so and same for the poolside restaurant. Most disappointing was the room service food. Just that the flavors are a bit off and I found myself constantly have to season my dishes all the time and I'm usually quite okay with blander dishes. It makes me wonder if the chefs had the taste buds or sense for something that is served at a 5 star restaurant. We were so disappointed with the food that we had to get a taxi to eat out (and taxis are quite pricey. Easily 50euros round trip just to go to a restaurant).Tonight we were too lazy to go out and went to ZEZ for their Italian buffet dinner (surprisingly they do not offer any a la carte options). The buffet was surprisingly okay and I'm pleased that the food was actually decent.

I don't know if we are just being too picky but the food at outside restaurants are just so-so as well and we had already ventured out to highly recommended restaurants on the island. Obviously the hotel is pricier even with the taxi fare included but after tonight we concluded that it is better to just eat at the hotel vs going out. Though of course we wished the food was of higher quality. Maybe the food in Seychelles is just generally below standard in many ways...

I will still highly recommend the four seasons as the hardware and service has been amazing. Spa treatments were also quite good.

• Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank travellezzie
Alex_Porteous, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Seychelles, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Dear travellezzie,

Thank you for your great feedback about our food and beverage. This is an area that we are concentrating on taking to the next level, with the dedicated support of our new Food and Beverage Director and new Executive Chef. If you have any more feedback we'd love to hear it. If you get a chance to drop me a quick email please feel very free to do so, at alex.porteous@fourseasons.com.

It's wonderful to hear that you would recommend us, and I hope that you will come back yourself for another stay soon.

General manager

Reviewed December 12, 2012

We just came back from this paradise and we want to come there again! Its the best that you can find for winter holidays. Everything is on the top. Villa, service, beach.... We stayed 5 nights in a hilltop ocean view villa. When you come in your villa and you see this view, you totally loose your head. Its WOW! You understand that finally you found PARADISE. We were surprised by welcoming champagne and breakfast in the room. You start to feel since the first step in this hotel that they really care about you. The beach... The beach is amazing: white sand, blue clear water, wonderful view and silence. You come and after you don't want to move from there. Service is perfect. They are quick and professional, always smiling and without stress. Food is delicious. And they make the best coconut milkshake. Of course you necessary need to try their SPA. Stunning view, nice personal and relaxing massage.... You even don't need to walk, there is buggies service. Everything is so easy. You just need to enjoy your time.

Thank you so much for You, Alex, and for your great team.

Hope to see this paradise soon again. We already miss it!

Yann&Jovita (Aix en Provence)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jo D

Dear Jo D,

Thank you for such a wonderfully detailed review. It's fantastic to see that you were wowed by our staff and service, and by the incredible setting in Petite Anse bay.

I hope that we can welcome you back again to our little piece of paradise found for more coconut milkshakes!

Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed at this resort between Nov17th and Nov25th and had a fantastic week. Actually this is the very first review I'm writing because I'm so excited about the place. It is absolutely gorgeous (the website doesn't do it justice), with stunning views, beautiful villas and an amazing "private" bay - so basically paradise. It's impossible to mention everything we liked about this place, but here are some points (also some minor issues):

Villas: The hotel is situated on a hill, with villas scattered all around and drowning in trees (or rather a jungle). Every villa has a beautiful private infinity pool, several terraces, a large bedroom and an equally large dressing room/bathroom, an outdoor shower and a bathtub with amazing views. Everything is very tastefully decorated, with colors matching the colors of the jungle and the famous granite rocks (see photos). Our villa (405) was very secluded and completely hidden by trees. However, we saw a couple of neighboring villas where you could see the pool/shower or the terrace from the outside, which is obviously not great for anybody and especially for a young couple. So make sure to ask for a quiet villa when you book. Also we "just" had a garden view villa, but the big advantage was that we could walk to both restaurants and to the beach. Sea view villas are great, but here people were really dependent on a buggy, where the waiting time was usually 10-15min if they were not lucky or didn't order one in advance.

Pool and beach: The pool area is at the foot of the hill, right at the beach, about 10min walk through the gorgeous park/jungle from our villa. The pool is very nice, with super warm water and a nice lounge/restaurant around it. The beach is not technically private, since no beaches are private on the island, but it's so hard to get to it from outside the hotel, that there was nobody ever there except for hotel guests. So imagine a long bay, with sand white and soft like flour, palm trees and granite stones, turquoise blue 28°C warm water, beautiful sunsets - and all that with just 20-30 people around. Maldives is the only place where I've experienced this kind of seclusion and beauty.

Diving and snorkeling: Snorkeling can be done right there, a couple of meters off the beach. It's not as good as on e.g. Maldives in terms of colors and variety of fish types, but it's still okay. The cool thing is that every afternoon around 4pm sting rays and other rays come into the bay - on one day we saw 12 rays at once and on another we saw a giant ray (c. 2 meters wide). My boyfriend went diving twice and loved it. The diving spots are 15-30min away by boat. During his second dive he even came across 3 huge whale sharks and swam with them for half an hour, which obviously was a fantastic experience.

Food and drinks: The are two restaurants at the hotel: the restaurant around the pool and another one slightly up the hill (ZEZ restaurant and sushi lounge). Breakfast was served at the ZEZ restaurant and was pretty good, incl. all possible kinds of bakery, eggs, salads, meat, fresh passionfruit, mango and other juices and a huge fruit bar. Lunch and drinks at the pool restaurant were also great (I recommend a Go Green shake and seafood linguine). For dinner, however, we went to the pool restaurant twice and were quite disappointed. The restaurant mostly offers Indian and Creole cuisine, which really was not up to the hotel standards. This is one of very few points I didn't like about the place. The Creole buffet on our first night was expensive and really not great. It might have been ok in a less expensive hotel, but it was not good enough for this place. On the other hand, food at ZEZ restaurant and sushi lounge was amazing. The quality of the sushi was really really good and food in the main restaurant was very diverse and very high quality. We went to this restaurant about 5 times and loved it. Here we'd like to thank Santosh, the sushi chef, and Che Wan, who really took care of us.

Service: this is the best thing about this hotel. I've really never experienced such service in any other hotel - EVER. First, everybody is just very nice, helpful and genuinely friendly. I think all employees are proud to work for Four Seasons and, in general, people on the Seychelles seem to be quite happy and relaxed. We never got this kind of fake friendliness where you know that people in fact really resent tourists and hate their job. Apart from that, the hotel reeeeally tries to keep guests happy: for example, one day we had to wait for our lunch for an hour, because there was a large group ordering at the same time and the waiter probably got overwhelmed. After we complained (and we were not even that mad about it), we got our lunch for free, free cocktails for the rest of the afternoon on the beach, a bottle of champagne at dinner, free sushi as a starter (which was amazing) and a cake. In any other hotel, people would have probably just apologized and maybe offered us free lunch. Things like this happened throughout our stay - the slightest inconvenience was more than made up for.

Spa: The Spa building offers the most stunning views in the resort. Make sure you go to the roof and take some pics. I never actually had any treatments, but attended several yoga classes (group yoga classes are inclusive), which turned out to be private as nobody else ever showed up. The classes were in an incredible setting: in an outside pavilion at the Spa, overlooking the resort and the bay. The yoga teacher, Nischal Rajveer from India, is amazing and is the best yoga teacher I've ever had, be it in a hotel or in any yoga studio at home. I hope that the hotel management can appreciate what they have in him.

Animal life: besides rays and whale sharks, animal lovers can admire 5 super friendly turtles (especially Tedwina and Socrates), cute hedgehogs and fruit bats that come out at sunset and fly about the resort. Eerie and beautiful!!!

Minor improvement points:
- 10€ per day for internet access in the villa: I don't get why some hotels keep charging for internet access. Nowadays it should be part of standard services, such as TV. Obviously 10€ is not nothing compared to the room rate, but it just makes a bad impression. At least there was free wifi at the beach, pool area and in restaurants, but still, this is something from the old ages...
- buggy service was relatively slow
- dinner at the pool restaurant: I already mentioned this before, food could be better

Otherwise this is truly an amazing place and I would give it 10 stars if I could. Definitely coming back!

Room Tip: Ask for a secluded room - there are some villas that are not
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mrs P

Dear Olga I,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a glowing review of the Resort on TripAdvisor. Some great tips and hints for our future guests there! We are making big changes to our food and beverage offering, so thank you for your patience. I hope you can notice the improvements on your next visit. If you have any specific feedback I'd love to hear it. My email address is alex.porteous@fourseasons.com

I look forward very much to welcoming you back on your next trip.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed in a hilltop ocean view villa in July. The villa was quite large with beautiful views of the beach and ocean. It included an indoor shower, outdoor shower, private infinity pool and bathtub with a gorgeous view. Housekeeping was great... we left our safe open one day and they locked it up for us and left a note saying they did so. A welcome bottle of champagne and daily afternoon treats brought to our villa were nice touches. Check-in was a bit awkward as we took a taxi from the marina to the hotel and the taxi wasn't allowed to bring us to the main entrance so he dropped us off in a holding area where there was no staff to greet us and we were left waiting alone in the heat for quite some time. I suppose if we used their expensive private transfer service we would have been treated better. The breakfast was good and beachside service was excellent including the occasional complimentary beachside massage. We enjoyed ZEZ for dinner although the sushi at the ZEZ lounge wasn't very good. Food is expensive but quite typical for a 5 star resort on a remote island and actually less expensive than the Maldives. The buggy service can be quite slow at times so yes, they need to have more buggies on-call. I expected a Four Seasons resort to include butler service but none was available. Charging for wi-fi in this day and age is unacceptable and it should be included in any hotel just like cable TV. We did not opt for their airport transfer on departure but they were kind enough to call us the day before to arrange a taxi for us at a fraction of the cost. On the day of departure we left very early and they arrange a continental breakfast for us which was nice. Overall would love to stay at this resort again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank zoltrix56
Alex_Porteous, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Seychelles, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear zoltrix56,

Thanks for taking the time to leave such detailed comments. To address you concern regarding your arrival, I can only apologise that your welcome was not our usual one. Your taxi should have taken you directly to the lobby, where you would have been welcomed by our team in exactly the same style as all guests, no matter how they travel. We have a list of approved taxi drivers who we work with on a regular basis, and know the way to drive through the resort to the lobby. It's possible that your driver did not know how to approach the lobby, so was directed to the Welcome Pavilion, but I'm sorry that you were kept waiting there in the heat. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the sushi at ZEZ Lounge. It is rare for us to hear negative feedback for this, so if you were able to provide any specific details about what you didn't enjoy then it would really help us improve the experience. My email address is alex.porteous@fourseasons.com, and I would love to hear any comments if you had a moment to spare to drop me an email. Regarding your comments on our internet policy, I am happy to say that we have complimentary wi-fi available in our lobby and bar areas, so there are options available for those who want to use the internet free of charge.

It's great to hear how much you enjoyed the villa, beach and our fantastic breakfasts an d amenities, and are glad to see you would love to come back again. I hope we are able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

an outstanding place from all aspects. The hotel has the best beach in Mahe. The astounding scenery is inarguably the most relaxing coupled by the friendly staff who make you feel welcomed and comfortable at all times.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 201 and it had an amazing view
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank sam k

Dear sam k,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback on TripAdvisor. It is especially pleasing to see such lovely words about the warm and friendly service from the staff here. The team and I are so pleased that you enjoyed such a wonderful stay, and hope you will return to enjoy another visit to our beautiful resort soon.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Overall a beautiful property on an amazingly beautiful beach. The villas are lovely and the beds super comfortable. Service is good and there is a sense of luxury and exclusivity. Despite quite a lot of rain during our 3 night stay, we were able to really relax and unwind even on the days we couldn't spend at the beach (even from a distance you fall asleep to the sounds of the ocean). The one big let down, especially given the prices charged, was the food. While breakfast was good overall, we found our other meals to be average/poor and definitely of a standard you would expect in such a property. Overall a great stay but room for improvement where food is concerned. I also have to compliment the drivers/car service that the hotel uses for airport pick-ups - really friendly, professional and informative about about the islands.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank dsbali

Dear dsbali,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our food and beverage quality in the Resort. I'm sorry you didn't find it to the standard you expected. I would really appreciate some specific feedback, if you could perhaps spare a couple of minutes to drop me an email to alex.porteous@fourseasons.com. If not a detailed email, then maybe your contact details so we can have a quick chat. Whichever is most convenient. We are striving for excellence in everything we do, and our focus is still strongly on Food and Beverage, as we have brought in a new Food and Beverage Director and Executive Chef. Any comments you can give as to what you would like to see improved would be enormously helpful, as we know that you, our guests, are our best critics.

I am pleased that you got to learn a little more about the beautiful Seychelles whilst you were on your way to and from the resort, and glad you could enjoy both the beautiful beach and the comfort of your villa during your time with us.

I hope to hear from you soon so that we can talk further.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We spent a week at the FS at the end of July and left greatly impressed with the entire FS Seychelles team.
The property is drop-dead gorgeous and the beach lives up to its many accolades which can be seen elsewhere on here.
At that time of year, the climate couldn't have been any more delightful as well.
The restaurants were good all the time and on a number of occasions quite spectacular. Room service is very, very good.
I'd like to focus on the service because it is in this area that the resort is truly outstanding.
From the initial arrival to departure, the staff was thoughtful, attentive, friendly, well-informed and helpful. They earned very high marks for the exceptional job they did on the execution aspect of delivering true five star service.
Although, the resort's raison d'être is clearly honeymoons, staff were extremely welcoming and indulgent of our kids (6 & 9) and the resort is actually a great place for families. But, of course, its setting and natural advantages are best suited for the starting of families, as opposed to accomodating them - good as it is in that mission.
Overall, when one considers the splendor of the setting and the vision that was followed to develop the property, there is very little to be improved upon - to sit for dinner on the restaurant veranda around sunset and sip wine while gentle breezes stir the trees and fruit bats glide past will give you everything you need out of an evening.
Granted, it can't be done on a shoestring, but it is a very lovely experience.

Room Tip: The ocean views are spectacular and extend your enjoyment as the higher vantage point prolongs the s...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank sparkpsu

Dear sparkpsu,

Thank you for your wonderful comments about our beach, in-villa dining service and restaurants, arrival and departure and kids' facilities.

You feedback is very important to us, so thank you for taking the time to inform our future guests. I will pass on your comments to the team and congratulate them on a job well done.

We look forward to welcoming your back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Baie Lazare
Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa
Banyan Tree Seychelles
Le Meridien Fisherman's Cove
Coral Strand Smart Choice Hotel Seychelles
DoubleTree by Hilton Seychelles Allamanda Resort & Spa
Kempinski Seychelles Resort

Been to Four Seasons Resort Seychelles? Share your experiences!