“Fantastic”
Review of Villas de Jardin

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Fantastic”
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Our stay here was better than one would expect for any kind of accommodation. A very true personal service starting from the office staff to those at the property. Everyone involved really went out of their way to make this special. The property is amazing! Really... the pictures I had seen before making the reservation do not do it justice. The location needs a bit of a walk to a very nice beach & a restaurant but If you are renting a car or want total peace it's simply excellent. Well done all. Ulrike, the person managing it is fantastic and a big part of why I would definitely recommend this over & over!

2 Thank PMM7919
VillasdeJardin, Director of Sales at Villas de Jardin, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
Dear PMM7919,

Thank you very much for your review. We are always so happy to hear possitive feedbacks from our clients.

Best regards from Port Glaud,
Aneta Stropova

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Villas de Jardin is an excellent self-catering accommodation, with high quality facilities and beautiful views of the beach at Port Glaud on the West coast of Mahe Island. It is an hour from the airport. Staff here emailed me in advance with a map and driving instructions. They offered to send a taxi to the airport for me as I was arriving very late in the day, and the driver was waiting for me at the arrivals. They also arranged a hire car for me while I was staying there. The price of the hire car was OK, but you can definitely get a better rate online if you book in advance and collect from the airport. However, you should be sure you can drive in these mountainous Seychelles roads, otherwise you should use a taxi. Alternatively, get a sat-navigation and hire a 4x4 mini-SUV.

Villas de Jardin is very close to the Port Glaud Police Station and next to the President's Village Children's Home. Taxi drivers should be able to take you there pretty easily if you tell them this. The entrance is right on the Western coastal road. However, that is just where the reception is based. The Villas themselves are high up on the mountain. It is a VERY steep climb to get to the villas and even if you have a car it is can be a struggle. There is parking up by the villas. The scary part comes when you have to drive back *down* the mountain. Make sure you are in first gear all the way!

Your reward for being so high up is a stunning view of the Indian Ocean and a view of Theresa Island. I have never seen a view from a villa quite like this, and you can see this view from every room including the bathroom. Every morning I would have breakfast on the terrace, which is very big and very professionally built. In fact, the whole complex is very well built and there is a communal swimming pool too. This is 5* hotel standard. You get a large kitchen-living room. It has everything you need including cooker, microwave, fridge, lots of pots, pans, cutlery and even salt and pepper shakers.

The bedroom was nice and large and you could see the Indian Ocean from it every morning when you wake up. No television sadly, but this view was better than television. Even so I did miss my news channels. Also, no phone but there is a socket for a phone so maybe this will be added soon. The bedroom had lots of wardrobe space, two bedside lamps and there was a safe that worked very well. Only thing missing is iron and ironing board, but you could go down the mountain to the reception and do your ironing there.

Bathroom was very big too, with WC and bidet and a very large shower cubicle. Toiletries supplied were shampoo, hard soap and body lotion. No conditioner or shower gel so you should bring your own. There was also an outside shower. I didn't use it as I felt a bit exposed if I showered outside. In fact, I felt a little bit exposed showering inside too as the doors and windows are full glass and not frosted.

Room servicing was good and the place was kept very very clean. No mosquitos or other insects could be seen. I used my own anti-mosquito facilities plus there is a some supplied too. Air conditioning is only in the bedroom, but if you open the bedroom doors then the airconditioning can be felt throughout the villa because it is quite strong. Villas de Jardin does have wifi, which is just fine for surfing but don't expect to be able to Skype or use YouTube.

My villa was not too high up on the mountain, which was good as it meant there was less distance to get to the beach. The beach here is just across the road. Beautiful white sand, but also some stones and shells, so make sure you have sandals. There is a another beach about 100-200 metres to the north and that is much better so you could even walk there.

About 100 metres to the south is a mini-supermarket where you can pick up essentials. The staff speak English and you can even pick up cakes, samosas and other cooked food. Not sure how fresh it is, but I didn't feel any ill effects from it. Further in that direction, about half a mile, is the "Island Cafe" which sells a variety of food (including pizza!) but it closes before 6pm so you can't have an evening meal there. The other food option close by is to drive about a mile north to the Constance Ephelia Resort. This resort is split in two (north and south complexes) and each has different restaurants. They aren't cheap though. Expect to pay 1000+ rupees per person just for a meal. WARNING The reception staff here might try and tell you the restaurants are "fully booked" if you tell them you are not a resident. Ignore that and just head straight to the restaurant and ask if you can have a table. I never had any trouble.

Finally, I would like to thank the staff here for making this such a wonderful stay. Especially Ulrike the resort manager who is always friendly and helpful. She even showed me the four giant tortoises they keep here which are amazing creatures. And when the airline cancelled my flight home she did everything she could to help me get a different flight arranged. She was even kind enough to print the flight receipt emails. Thank you Ulrike.

Room Tip: All the villas are good, but the ones very high up could be a problem if you don't have a car to...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Zillimeter
Dear Ballencrieff,

Thank you for your nice feedback, sharing all the important information and taking time to post your comments.
We look forward to welcome you back soon!

My best regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2011

If you translate the words “Villas de Jardin”, they translate to The Garden City. It is truly amazing what they are trying to achieve out there in Port Glaud. At the moment there are 7 villas, all of which are fully furnished and fully equipped. The bedrooms are decent Deluxe 5 Star calibre size, and the open plan living room kitchen is good too. However the balcony and the bathroom, just take your breath away. Firstly the bathroom is humongous (possibly bigger than the bedroom), there is an indoor and outdoor shower, and the fixtures and fittings are stylish and I think Modern European in decor. And the balcony is amazing with a view of the Indian Ocean, it is spectacular.

Ulrike the resort Manager was very helpful. She had not only organised a car for us for 3 days of our 5 night stay, but also arranged a restaurant booking at one of the premier restaurants on the Island for our Anniversary dinner. Ulrike makes sure that everything is perfect for her guests in the Resort, she knows the meaning of customer service and practices it to perfection, she is a huge part of the resort and many 5-star and/or 6-star resorts can learn from her example and expertise. She even informed me, where to park the car in Victoria, and she woke up for our 5:30 am departure. Furthermore, we paid for a 1-bedroom Villa, however we got to stay in a 2-bedroom Villa. We didn't need the extra bedroom, nor the extra humungous bathroom, but the additional section of the balcony was a site and a treasure to behold.

Due to the location being in Port Glaud, which is on the south side of the island, it is a necessity to have a car for the length of you stay in the Villas. I do believe that this resort is of a 5 star calibre; however there are a few things which can take Villas de Jardin 'up a notch'. We have noticed that there are Television Aerial sockets and telephone sockets in the bedrooms, but no devices, once the devices are arranged to be installed the bedrooms will be complete, and we also believe a tower fan is of a necessity in the living room, and it is quite dark in the evenings, perhaps some extra lighting would be helpful.

The site will definitely benefit with a restaurant, because of the lack of availability of top quality restaurants in Port Glaud and Port Lornay, an onsite restaurant will not only benefit the guests of the Villas, but will offer a decent income for the Resort. The Resort has already got 7 Villas in operation, two 2-bedroom Villas and five 1-bedroom Villas, plus we have also seen that there is a Studio Villa available there, and there is on-going construction of another 1-bedroom Villa. The gardens in the resort are absolutely majestic and cannot be faulted, and the swimming pool is a decent size for a couple.

If I had to reorganise my holiday to the Seychelles, I would forget about going to stay on Praslin and La Digue (and only go to them on excursions) and just stay on Mahe, and stay at Villas de Jardin for an entire week. My fellow travellers it is my recommendation that you should stay at Villas de Jardin a true “Garden City”, it has only opened earlier this year, and currently the introductory price is too good to pass up. I have recommended this resort to all of my family members (both in India and UK) and work colleagues. We were initially going to stay at Le Meridian just up the road on Barbarons Beach, which would have cost us GBP 990 for 5 days, our 5 day stay at the Beautiful Garden of Eden cost us GBP 665. We did go and explore Le Meridian, and it is a decent 4-star hotel, and I wouldn’t have been disappointed if I had to stay there, however Villas de Jardin was cheaper and far superior quality in accommodation.

Ulrike and Aneta, keep up the good work. Thanks for making our Anniversary stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: All the Villas look over the Ocean, Mountains and Gardens, If you can stay in the 1-bedroom Villa, p...
3 Thank travellbuzz_11
VillasdeJardin, Director of Sales at Villas de Jardin, responded to this review, December 15, 2011
Dear travellbuzz_11,

Thank you very much for your review. We are always more than happy to hear possitive feedbacks from our clients. We hope to welcome you as well as many other satisfied guests in Villas de Jardin soon!

Best regards from Port Glaud,
Aneta Stropova
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed November 24, 2011

I was 3 days in Villas de Jardin, and I love the place, its quiet, grat view, very clean and comfortable acomodations.
And the pool is very nice in the afternoon

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank RVU
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2011

The villas are well built and maintained by the local staff. Views from our verandah were magnificient without forgetting the time spent on the swimming pool.
Special thanks to Ulrike for her proffesionalism firstly on dealing with our booking and secondly for making our stay in the villa very comfortable. Imane & Adil

Roma
Reviewed November 9, 2011

We had a 3 day stay.
Everything was great, and the location has a magnificent view.
Good also the value, the price was worthy the place.
Thanks a lot Aneta and Ulrike!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
VillasdeJardin, Director of Sales at Villas de Jardin, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Dear Scuba70,

Thank you for your nice feedback and taking time to post your comments.
We look forward to welcome you back soon!

My best regards,

Cologne, Germany
Reviewed November 2, 2011

What a nicely build and decorated house, with very helpful staff members and a manager who nows that service and politeness are the key elements for a vacationist.
I will not tell you more, because I am afraid that these remote and lovely situated island of 7 villas will be booked out for the time being, if I write my real feelings down.
So try it and love it.
Not recommendable for people with difficulties to walk many stairs or steep roads. But if you have a car, no problem at all and in this case the management will help to find the right car rental as well

Room Tip: any of the villas are fantastic
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hg K
VillasdeJardin, Director of Sales at Villas de Jardin, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
Dear Hg K,

Thank you for the possitive review of our resort. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at Villas de Jardin, we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Seychelles.

Sincerely yours,

Constance Ephelia
Constance Ephelia
#6 of 35 in Mahe Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,338 reviews

Been to Villas de Jardin? Share your experiences!