L'Habitation Hotel
Cerf Island Resort(Cerf Island)
$507
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfishmain islandeden islandmarine parkmain buildingstayed here for nightstea coffeecharming hotelsaladchristmas dinnernice beachchicken curryfamily runworked finemy favoritesalamifree snorkeling
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We were warned about the rowdy skipper, and the receptionist! We were destined to cerf islands for a get away weekend ("honeymoon"). Note that we are locals (seychellois citizens). The skipper politely greeted us at the Eden jetty on Mahe. Our impression was "it's not as bad as what the others say". After a 10 mins ride to Cerf Islands, we were greeted by "THE RECEPTIONIST" on arrival. Upon reaching the reception she told us to take a sit outside, and then turned to be Italian couple who was also on the boat with us, to take a sit inside. I was in awe....thinking why us outside and the tourist inside. What she should have said is "kindly take a sit, inside or outside". At least we would have had a choice.
Nonetheless we didn't make such an issue about that, but kept on smiling! We were then shown to our room, which was the adjacent wall to the reception. I stopped....looked at the receptionist and said "but we had booked for a chalets". "Oh! You did? let me check" she replied. She came back and said, "well we have a problem with the chalets as the Wash Basin is non functional". From this, I paused, thought, and waited for her to come up with a compromise....nothing came out of her mouth! We then had to settle for what we were offered.
She now showed the room to us, and explained about breakfast and dinner. Then she showed us the Air Condition, which was like a piece for the museum of technology through time. She then mumbled and said, "I don't know why this AC is like that, but I think it works"....which she expertedly turned it on and off (was a definite sign of actual surrounding habitat, but pretending she didn't know).

So, came the evening, my wife and I had dinner at the restaurant. Food was like something which had already been cooked, but reheated and garnished to make it look "simply stunning"...not so I'm afraid!!!

The room....well! The TV first of all had three channels, so don't bother flicking further. My wife, so wanted to have a bath, and i had to be inventive here. I pulled out one of my boxers, and plugged the waste hole to be able to fill the bath.....why you may ask, well the bath plug was nowhere to be found. She was amazed, and told me that I'll be forever her Robinson Crusoe. Came the time to sleep, I turned on the timeless piece "The AC". That thing was like a generator running with no grease, and heard every single parts moving inside. Kept me up all night, and i had to know reach out and turn the damn thing off.
Part of your stay at any establishment, should be an enjoyable sleep. The pillows did not help I'm afraid. It was like logs well cover with head sheets. Out of the four pillows, only one was above par, which i gladly gave to my wife to sleep on.

Came the morning I told my wife if she wanted a coffee, she could have one. I then smelled something funny, and reached out for the kettle....and it was indeed the kettle. Smelled of cockroaches! Almost made me throw up.

The thing is, "L'habitation" is a fairly nice place, but having to experience all of what I mentioned is just not worth going through. First, the owners should be welcoming, and at least say hi to their guests. This would have made you feel relaxed and at home. Instead, there were a lot of long faces, and not even a "Good Morning, nor a Good Evening". The only person that said hi were the two Sri Lankans working there.

We, unfortunately cut our "honeymoon" short, and left the next day. The skipper, was by far the better person that we met on Cerf Islands.

My conclusion "Never Again". Choose any other but not this one.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Aladeans
habicerfmangement, General Manager at L'Habitation Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Thank you for your review which we believe was very vindictive on your part

Clients Aladeans did not do their reservation through the proper channel of the hotel but through an employee associated with the hotel and paid a minimum sum which was not sufficient for a junior suite

So in the first pace NO 'junior suite' was booked for them to argue upon arrival

Secondly the rowdy boat skipper which they referred to (AGAIN VINDICTIVE BEFOREHAND ) was good enough to wait for them at Eden Island as the Italian clients they referred to had already arrived.

iT IS NOT in our policy to treat local and foreign clients differently as the month of December we have recieved at least 20x local residents WITHOUT A SINGLE PROBLEM- may be I should get all of them to write to Trip Advisor

Thirdly myself as co. owner of the hotel have never experienced that the mother in law and mother of a couple phoning me whilst I am doing shopping for the hotel and letting me know that the receptionist at the hotel had been rude to her son and daughter in law and that they have not been allocated the room they wanted ( being in the hotel business over 13 years-NEVER THIS HAVE EVER HAPPENED

Fourthly my re-action was to reprimand the receptionist who broke down and since she just came back from maternity leave and have high blood pressure had to be admitted to the hospital on drip that same evening

Fifthly one of my associates kindly saw the clients and tried to find out what had happened and they said they were Ok - and believe it OR NOT a few minutes later they apologized to the receptionist for having got her in trouble.

Last but not least the clients were told that they will not be charged cancellation fees so they should have left the hotel and not stay one minute more- as it would have taken us 10x minutes to the main island of Mahe where they live instead of staying a whole day and whole night

As their comment about the owner not being friendly , I personally went round to all the tables in the restaurant around 7.45pm on the night they stayed over and checked on all the clients but these clients chose to come to the restaurant quite late

In future it is a good lesson for our hotel as Seychelles is very small to know which category of local residents we bring to Cerf Island by having all bookings done through the hotel reservation department

Managing Director
L'Habitation -Cerf Island

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We spent 6 nights here and although the resort was attractive to look at we were disappointed with many aspects of the resort.

Our accommodation was a garden chalet which was well appointed and comfortable. The bathroom was another story; the shower was so small it was impossible to actually bend down in it so foot and leg washing was a challenge! Coupled with this on two mornings we had no hot water. The resort uses solar power (which is great) but the hot water to the chalet needed to be supplemented by mains electricity. On two occasions the staff forgot to switch it on! This was unacceptable.

If you have read any hotel web sites which say the resort has a games room (I have), we didn't see one although there were a few boxed games in reception. If you have read any hotel web sites which say the resort has a fitness room (again I have) we didn't see one. I'm sure most people are not on vacation to watch TV but the cable TV had 2 or 3 channels only so don't expect more than that you will have a super wide screen TV to watch them on though!

The staff were lacking in enthusiasm for their work. The pregnant lady managing reception was not very welcoming, did not inform us of activities or any details about either the resort or the island when we checked in. On several occasions when we required assistance we had to shout for service at the desk. The staff in the restaurant were also uninterested in the guests. There were two staff members through who stood out and I give credit to Sri Lankan Santi and his wife, both were exceptionally warm-hearted and helpful and Santo was kind enough to make us a special Sri Lankan breakfast.

The island itself is small and apart from canoeing around the perimeter or walking to the other side there is not much to do unless you take trips to Mahe or organise fishing trips etc. If you like beaches for swimming another location would be better although there is a pool at the resort. When we were there the wind howled down the channel between the island and Mahe and the sea weed on the narrow beach was a problem.

The free transfer between the resort and Mahe was good with the only drawback being that it didn't run in the evening. This meant if a dinner across the water was something you wanted to enjoy a special arrangement need to be made for the transfer. I thought that the amount we paid per person was expensive for a 5 minute crossing! It should also be noted that the ferry drops you off on Eden Island and you will need to catch a bus into Victoria, a journey of about 25 minutes but a wait of 45 (in our experience).

I think the biggest let-down for us was the food. Breakfast was very poor compared with other resorts in the Seychelles. Fruit which was past its best; twice I asked the staff to remove brown, overripe pineapple from the table. Cucumber that had been frozen and was transparent. Pancakes were attacked by birds but no-one removed them from the buffet, just shooed the birds away.

Evening meals had to be chosen at about 3 in the afternoon, I guess this was for preparation purposes but was something we didn't like at all. If the dinner was to be a buffet there was no option but to eat that (expensive too) as a la carte was not available.

The resort promotes itself by saying the creole inspired menu is top class, sadly this is not true. I think it depends very much on which chef is on duty! On all the food, which is such a special part of a vacation was poor.

In all honesty, perhaps our expectations were too high, other reviewers seem to have enjoyed their stay at L'Habitation, personally, I don't think it lives up to the hype. It could be a fabulous resort if the management got its act together.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank RJWal
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed a couple of night on Cerf Island to attend the marriage of two of my best friends. Therefore the resort had a completely different atmosphere for the weekend than usual. About the only thing that let it down was the weather - it was an overcast and a very windy day in August - but that isn't L'Habitation's fault. I think this resort would be better to visit over the Christmas/New Year period because of the prevailing winds.

We got to the resort using the father of the brides' boat, but there are other boat options. The resort sits on Cerf Island facing towards Mahe.

The clean and tidy double room was quite spacious and the bathroom had a spa bath in it too. The resort grounds are well kept and there is a pool, but it was too cold to use it.

My friend's family cleaned and painted the old chapel hidden along a path through a few private properties.... very tiny and charming!

The wedding went of without a hitch and the food was excellent! The Buffet breakfast the next day was also very good.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kressley G
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights. It's a lovely little resort, nice big clean rooms with balconies. The pool is nice, and there are plenty of sun chairs on the property so you don't need to get up early to get one. The food was good, but we felt it was pricey for what it was. We loved the tuna steaks with Creole sauce! If you are just after a relaxing beach holiday, this is the place for you. If you want any kind of night life, you'd be better off to stay on the mainland, as the last boat to Cerf Island is at 6:30pm. We enjoyed our stay, but wished we'd only stayed for 2 nights, so we could have had an extra night on La Digue (where we went afterwards) - that is a magical island!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kelly W
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Small greatly run family establishment , with beautiful rooms with sea view of mahe island .
the food was excellent with a mixed cuisine of creole and international dishes . They also have buffets on selective days which always have excellent choices.
Me and my husband will defiantly be returning vacation time permitting.
Also a special thank you to the wonderful friendly staff at the hotel . Who were excellent through out our stay .

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms have a larger balcony and the junior suites are separate to the main building its really personal preference . (all the rooms are excellent )
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple