“Dream Trip!”
Review of Cerf Island Resort

Cerf Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cerf Island
Reviewed February 23, 2014

3rd visit to Cerf Island Resort and once again a fantastic time spent there! The villa is just out of this world and great service throughout our stay! Valentine's dinner was awesome! We will certainly return for a 4th visit very soon! Thank you to all staff and management for making our stay extra special.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Josianne B
General Manager C, General Manager at Cerf Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Dear Josianne B

Thank you very much for your visit as well as for your review. Our goal is to exceed the expectation of every guest and to deliver a personally measured service for everyone staying at Cerf Island Resort.

Unfortunately we could not meet here but we hope to welcome you back very soon here at Cerf Island Resort.

Best regards

Claudia Schwob & Cédric E Burkhardt
General Management

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Picture this- the moment you land on the jetty of Cerf, you can see squids and other fish- right there with naked eye.
Beautiful views is what this property is about. The villa are spacious, luxurious and nicely decorated. Staff is courteous and eager to help. The helipad point offer a breathtaking view of the neighboring islands and was easily one of the highlights for me.
Definitely recommended!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Prabhu1984

Dear Prabhu1984

Unfortunately we could not meet but we hope to welcome you back very soon here at Cerf Island Resort with all of your family members.

Best regards

Claudia Schwob & Cédric E Burkhardt
General Management

Reviewed December 14, 2013

This was our first visit to the Seychelles which we booked to celebrate a special birthday. As my wife had some mobility issues I was concerned after reading the hotel brief, however I needn't of bothered. The staff at the Cerf island were brilliant, the villa was beautiful and the food was outstanding.
We will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: All villas are on a slope so you need to be able to walk reasonable well or catch the buggy. If you...
1  Thank Ken F
General Manager C, General Manager at Cerf Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

Dear Ken F,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
Indeed our resort is build on a steep hill and require some walking, however, if we are aware of any issue, we always trying to arrange the best possible solution to all our guest queries. as you mention, buggy service is always available for those who do not like walking of with difficulties.
I am glad you had a good time at the resort and that you appreciated all our services and the hotel friendly staff.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

My wife and I just returned from 8 nights at the stunning Cerf Island resort and we loved our stay there. Firstly though, in response to some of the negative reviews, I would say that to those looking for a manicured, manufactured resort hotel with staff falling all over you for tips, then go to the Hilton - this is not that experience and is all the better for it in my opinion. Cerf is more of a nature reserve and feels very quiet and at peace with itself. The short trip from Mahe Airport to Cerf was a deciding factor in our decision to stay on Cerf since we only had an 8 day trip planned. We were met off the plane and at the jetty in Eden with no problems or delays whatsoever.

Staff: We found the staff to be incredibly friendly and welcoming... A warm greeting with cold Lemongrass drinks as we arrived, the Chef coming out at lunch to discuss the local ingredients being used, the great big smiles at dinner from everyone, notably Julietta, and a special mention particularly to Jessie, who very kindly made me 2 jars of chilli sauce to take home after I had repeatedly asked for extra hot chilli with many of my meals. To me, that kind of personal touch is true service.

Arrival: I had several emails with the lovely Julie before our arrival, and as agreed our room had been prepared honeymoon style, with a welcome letter and the bottle of Champagne that I had requested.

Resort and Location: The Resort is built on a very steep hill so consider getting around before travelling there, but the free Golf Cart service was always available and welcome after a large dinner and drinks. We never waited longer than a minute to get a lift. Make sure you walk (get a lift) to the Helicopter Landing area at the top of the island. The views of the surrounding islands and as far as Praslin and La Digue are well worth the exercise to get up there. Look out for massive fruit bats flying above and around in the evenings and take insect spray if you go up at dusk!! The hotel rooms at Cerf really are beautiful. We stayed in Vila Babbon (which I can neither spell nor pronounce), and we were thrilled with the size, space and layout of the rooms. The bathroom are indoor outdoor with the shower very much open air. What a treat to see the stars as you bathe. Regarding the view, well I have to say it is difficult to see the Ocean from the rooms as they are built into the jungle and are surrounded by foliage so be aware that many rooms won't have a full sea view. Perhaps the only disappointment for me was the beach at the Hotel. I was aware that the hotel was near the airport and faced back onto the capital Victoria, so a view of various industrial and shipping sights was no surprise. The beach itself just doesn't have the wow factor when compared to some of the beaches on North Mahe (where we dived) or any of the beaches on La Digue which were utterly stunning. But having said that, I can't spend long sat on a beach anyway, and our intention was to spend our time under the water, so this was not really a problem for me.

Meals: I thought all the food was well prepared and presented with no lack of effort put into them. One or two of the dinner time meat based meals were the only exceptions. Breakfast consisted of a lovely local fruit plate which changed daily. Toast and croissants with Jam (the local Banana Jam is as good as anything I've ever put on toast!) and a choice of cooked eggs any style, omelettes, bacon, sausages etc. All very well done and filled us up for a long day diving. Dinner was generally a choice of 2 options, usually a fish and a meat option. I quickly decide that fish was the local speciality after the lamb and pork dishes were somewhat average. The seafood was amazing however, and this disparity between fish and meat dishes makes some sense when you consider where you are. We opted for several lunches at the resort and they were nothing short of outstanding. I had the fresh grilled Tuna sandwich (puts our tinned stuff to shame)! the Fish and chips, and the fish of the day specials: Red Snapper and Captain Blanc served creole style (with extra chilli). The snapper was as good any seafood I've had anywhere... we visited the fish market on Mahe a few days later and its obvious why seafood is the way to go in the Seychelles. The size and healthy look of the fish on sale was incredible, and this is from somebody who never orders fish in the UK.

SCUBA Diving: We also found that the SCUBA diving we had requested had all been arranged and went without a hitch. It was a slight shame that diving from Cerf was not possible, but the arrangements to get us to the Dive centre on Mahe worked to the minute and Glynis (of Dive Seychelles) was awaiting our boat transfer on each of the 5 days we dived. Sadly we arrived a month after Whale Shark season which had been my intention for Diving in Seychelles, so be aware that Whale Shark sightings end in early October despite many websites stating November. Having said that, the diving was outstanding with lovely warm clear water and a vast arrange of marine life to see, ranging from colourful Nudibranch, all the usual reef fish, white tip reef sharks, turtles and literally hundreds of Eagle Rays in large schools. We were even treated to 2 sightings of Devil rays during 2 separate dives. Stunning! The Dive centre was outstanding with a mix of international and local dive masters and instructors who were professional in every respect.

Getting around: There is a free morning ferry to Mahe at 8.30 and back at 3.30 from Victoria which we used most days to go diving. Boat rides in either direciton could also be requested ad hoc and cost e10/person each way, or less if using the staff boat which was handy. The resort orgainsed a day trip to La Digue, which gave us a different view of the Seychelles, and one not to be missed, the waters around La Digue are truly to be believed. I did think e80 return on the 1 hour fast ferry plus e25 from Praslin to La Digue was a little steep, but in the end it was a truly once in a lifetime day trip.

Prices and Tipping: Gbp4/bottle and 20 for a good bottle of wine was - to my mind - very good value. The Seychelles is not a cheap place to visit and you should be expecting London prices in a location that has to import almost everything. However, having visited the Maldives - I found the pricing there cynical when compared to Cerf, who could easily charge more. All rooms have a refrigerator and I brought some duty free to enjoy before dinner, Getting ice from the bar was never a problem. At no point in our trip did I feel obliged to hand out tips, despite using the Ferry service, restaurant and golf cart services every day. However I did leave a combined tip at reception on departure and this was put into a sealed envelope to be divided among staff - which I thought was a nice way to ensure everyone got something (hopefully).

All in all a totally unforgettable trip and would highly recommend The Seychelles and Cerf Island Resort.

Room Tip: The hillside is very steep so lower is a much easier walk, unless you're in great shape!
4  Thank Jones1e

Dear Jones1e,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
We are very glad you have enjoyed your stay at the resort, all our services and facilities. Your review is so detailed that I feel there is not need for me to reply or clarify anything apart for tanking you for your positive comments for which all the Team is very grateful. We always try our very best in order to make all our guest stays as more enjoyable as possible, little touches, personalized service and going the extra mile (like your chilli sauce that Jessy prepared especially for you at home after her shift) are a clear example of the commitment of our Team members toward our visiting guests.
We are sure you will remember your holiday in Seychelles for a long time and we are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Booked on recommendation of travel agent, superb location, very minor drawbacks, built on a hill, but that is no problem, resort provides buggies at you beck and call. Food was superb, both in quantity and quality 5* for that. The villas are superb and private, loved the layout and service was really excellent.
The beach was ok for swimming, better at high tide, every morning it was spotless, need to update some of the lounger cushions though.

Would I go again, you bet , loved the seclusion, you can see Victoria and sometimes hear the Power Station, but it is really negligible.

Room Tip: All are in sheltered locations, if you are not great at walking up and down steep hill(short distanc...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
General Manager C, General Manager at Cerf Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Dear Kevin R,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, short but effective. The fact that you would happily come back is the best reward we could ask for, we are glad you had a good time at the resort and we hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

2 weeks in the Seychelles was a surprise 60th birthday present and so reading reviews beforehand were borne out of pure curiosity and not a destination decider. I have to say that our experience was much more in keeping with the positive reviews and I often found myself wondering what some people were complaining about. Yes, the hill is steep but the buggy service does reduce the negativity of this. The food was consistently of a good standard - we were on the half board package and had the set meal every evening and it never disappointed. The house wine was perfectly acceptable - in fact better than what you might get in the UK. Breakfast was excellent with a good choice and always well cooked and presented.
The accommodation was very good. We stayed in the villa Bourzwan (?) - it didn't have a great view but it was spacious, clean and had everything you might need. The air conditioning was effective and reliable.
The staff and service was generally good although some of the waitresses were better than others - the more mature ladies being a little more attentive and interested in our well being.
The beach and pool are fine and there are plenty of beaches accessible by pedalo or kayak if you want a change and are fit enough. Hotel organized trips seemed a little expensive and we did not take any of them.
If you snorkel there are quite a lot of fish to see around the hotel jetty if you don't want to venture far - we made our own way to the best site between Moyenne and St Annes and it was worth the effort of pedaling there.
The free ferry service to Mahe was appreciated although if you don't take the 8.30 there and the 3.30 back the 10 Euro fare could get expensive if you wanted to go further afield regularly.
Cerf Island is an excellent venue for a relaxing 'do very little' holiday - our two week stay was perhaps a little long but I'm not complaining!
We both suffered from numerous insect bites despite all our precautions so if you are prone - be prepared.
Overall, it was a most relaxing and pleasant two weeks and a wonderful way to celebrate reaching 60.

Room Tip: If hills are a problem choose one nearer to the reception or ensure you have buggy access
3  Thank Wendy R

Dear Wendy R,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for sharing you positive experience with the rest of the traveler's community.
We are glad you have enjoyed your 2 weeks holiday at the resort and we are pleased to see that we have exceeded your expectations.
Your positive comments have been shared with all the team members and everybody is pleased and thankfull.
We hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again in the future, in the mean time we wish many more happy holidays.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

If you are planning a trip to the Seychelles and enjoy wildlife may I suggest you begin with Bird Island (see separate report) and then make your way to Cerf Island resort for a touch of luxury and terrific hospitality before flying home. Cerf Island resort is just 10 minutes by boat from the outskirts of Mahe. This makes it an ideal place to finish a trip to the islands as you can get back to the airport quickly. The accomodation consists of bungalows built into the wooded hillside. The facilites in the bungalows are among the best I have experienced. Spacious, cool, with a huge veranda and a bathroom that is both inside and outside, the shower is in a small open roofed courtyard. The bed is huge, with a net, there is tv and video recorder. The reception and restaurant are down by the shoreline, if climbing up and down hills is not your thing, then just ring reception and they will send up a buggy to give you a lift. The food was good and plentiful. What stood out for me was the friendly staff. If you have a birthday during your stay, be prepared for surprises! There is good snorkelling in the small enclosed jetty area and from the beaches. As evening approaches look out for the fruit bats. Our bungalow was high up the hillside at treetop level; fruit bats fighting is a lively experience. Should you wish to visit Victoria, the capital of Mahe, then you can pay to go by motorboat and explore this small town.

For those who just want a bit of a rest and some pampering, Cerf Island resort takes some beating.

Room Tip: Ask for a bungalow near reception if you don't fancy the up and down walk.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
PGiorgio S, General Manager at Cerf Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Dear mikeraine,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
We are glad you have enjoyed your holiday at our resort, especially your accommodation, all our facilities and services as well as the surrounding luxurious nature.
You managed to capture the real spirit of our resort which is a modern accommodation in harmony with nature not too far from "civilization" but far enough to feel free and faraway for the everyday stress.
Your review, together with all the others, are the best reward we can receive from our guest an for this we are very thankful.
I agreed with you when you suggest the combination of Bird Island first and Cerf Island after, having visited Bird Island myself, I believe is a good match in order to discover some of the wonderful features that the Seychelles islands can offer.
We hope you will have the chance to welcome you again soon, in the meantime we wish you many more happy holidays.

Kind Regards

Enchanted Island Resort
Enchanted Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Round Island
Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort & Spa
Hilton Seychelles Labriz Resort ...
#1 of 1 in Silhouette Island
Constance Ephelia
Constance Ephelia
#6 of 35 in Mahe Island
Kempinski Seychelles Resort

Been to Cerf Island Resort? Share your experiences!